Spanking can worsen a child's behavior and do real harm, study finds

I agree, especially if spanking is the only discipline method. I do believe that spanking can be effective when rare and when worked into other discipline methods. For example, a child may need to understand that he is to sit for 5 minuted in the corner for a time out. If the child refuses the time out, a spanking may be in order to enforce the time out.

When I was a little kid, my mother used to whip us with hot wheel tracks, so my brothers and I would always hide all the hot wheel tracks in a secret place in the crawl space when we were not playing with them.

My father only used corporal punishment on me once when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I had a massive chemistry set in the garage and was trying to make nitroglycerine one day and when my dad asked me what I was doing, I excitedly told I him. He very sternly said "Don't you ever, ever, EVER, try to make nitroglycerine in MY garage or I will whoop your skinny little ass!"

I could tell that he meant it.

So I relocated the nitroglycerine project to my neighbor's garage. In preparation, the day before I gave some money to my best friend next door to go down the street to a convenience store and get three bags of ice and put them in the freezer in his garage.

But unbeknownst to me, he bought the little one pound bags of ice, rather than the big seven pound bags of ice.

Then the next day as I was mixing the concoction I realized how fucked we were when I went for a bag of ice, and noticed that we only had three pounds of ice, when I had assumed that we had plenty of ice. Way more than we needed according to my calculations.

It's the definition of an "oh shit!" moment.

That wasn't nearly enough ice to keep the chemical reaction under control. It started smoking and caught on fire and we had to run away and call the fire department. The firemen and police then evacuated about a three block radius and let the fire burn out from a safe distance. My neighbor's garage and everything in it was a total loss.

Afterwords my dad was yelling at me, screaming that he told me that I wasn't allowed to make nitroglycerin and I had disobeyed him, and in my defense I pointed out the fact that he said I couldn't make nitroglycerine in his garage, and nothing about producing nitroglycerine in our neighbor's garage.

Then he called me a smartass, took his belt off, and whooped the living shit out of me.

Last edited:
When I was a little kid, my mother used to whip us with hot wheel tracks, so my brothers and I would always hide all the hot wheel tracks in a secret place in the crawl space when we were not playing with them.

My father only used corporal punishment on me once when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I had a massive chemistry set in the garage and was trying to make nitroglycerine one day and when my dad asked me what I was doing, I excitedly told I him. He very sternly said "Don't you ever, ever, EVER, try to make nitroglycerine in MY garage or I will whoop your skinny little ass!"

So I relocated the nitroglycerine project to my neighbor's garage. In preparation, the day before I gave some money to my best friend next door to go down the street to a convenience store and get three bags of ice and put them in the freezer in his garage.

But unbeknownst to me, he bought the little one pound bags of ice, rather than the big seven pound bags of ice.

Then the next day as I was mixing the concoction I realized how fucked we were when I went for a bag of ice, and noticed that we only had three pounds of ice, when I had assumed that we had plenty of ice. Way more than we needed according to my calculations.

That wasn't nearly enough ice to keep the chemical reaction under control. It started smoking and caught on fire and we had to call the fire department. The firemen and police then evacuated about a three block radius and let the fire burn out from a safe distance. My neighbor's garage and everything in it was a total loss.

Afterwords my dad was yelling at me, screaming that he told me that I wasn't allowed to make nitroglycerin and I had disobeyed him, and in my defense I pointed out the fact that he said I couldn't make nitroglycerine in his garage, and nothing about producing nitroglycerine in our neighbor's garage.

Then he took his belt off and whooped the living shit out of me.
You're old man kept you from Allahs work ?
He should have simply rented you a garage from a Jew.

Yeah...the greatest generation America has ever seen recieved corporal punishment and they were failures?
What total bullshit.
I got my butt whipped when I deserved it and it taught me there are consequences for my actions.
The little shits we have today need a good ass whipping.

CNN Health? you are quoting from fake CNN Health,OP? It figures.:rolleyes:

In the 1900s parents always spank their children a little, and they grew up to be the greatest generation ever.

Best soldiers, not cowards and pussies and snowflakes like the pathetic idiots are today.

Maybe not being spanked is the cause of the problem we're having with the current crop of spoiled, entitled radical brats now. It worked SO WELL with the Spock Generations.
1624932978036.png

That wasn't nearly enough ice to keep the chemical reaction under control. It started smoking and caught on fire and we had to run away and call the fire department. The firemen and police then evacuated about a three block radius and let the fire burn out from a safe distance. My neighbor's garage and everything in it was a total loss.

Then he called me a smartass, took his belt off, and whooped the living shit out of me.
He didn't have to blow up on you like that.

It sure never worsened mine! :auiqs.jpg:

That said, I never found it necessary. I had a parental stare that was much worse.

I was throwing Crayons at the wall one day, making some awesome artwork where they hit and left a tiny colored spot.
My dad told me to stop and ask mom for something to clean it off with, then walked away.

I was impressed with my efforts and decided to continue, regardless his objections.
Dad returned in a rather aggravated state, and told me he would spank me if I didn't stop.
He said I looked at the Crayon in my hand, back at him, and then asked ... "How many times?"

He started laughing ... He knew I was going to be trouble after that, and spanking me wasn't the cause.

My old man specialized in intimidation.
He'd tell me our my brother to go wait in the barn and he'd deal with us later.
He'd walk out the back door and you thought he was heading to the barn,he'd vear off and go to the pool filter and and switch a few valves and go back inside.
He might do this three or four times before he actually went out to the barn.
By the time he actually came out to the barn we were scared shitless.
Some times he'd smack our butts with a belt and other times he'd just have a talk with us.
I'll say this much,the intimidation was worse than the actuall butt whipping and it taught us a lesson.

After my kids were grown, much to their amazement, I came to the realization that a spanking almost always represents parental failure. It is when parents failed to stop a behavior or action before a spanking seemed to be the only option. Even then, there are better options to spanking but parents are human and sometimes take the easy way.

It sure never worsened mine! :auiqs.jpg:

That said, I never found it necessary. I had a parental stare that was much worse.

I can of believe that boys who are brought by the switch are more likely, not all of the to be sure, but a significant parentage, grow up to be wife beaters.
You "can of believe"? That's about the level of stupidity contained in the rest of your post.

After my kids were grown, much to their amazement, I came to the realization that a spanking almost always represents parental failure. It is when parents failed to stop a behavior or action before a spanking seemed to be the only option. Even then, there are better options to spanking but parents are human and sometimes take the easy way.
Your came to realize an error in your thinking was acceptable.

Forum List

Back