Someone please explain the logic of what God is doing because I don't get it

What's the main difference between Jephy and almost every other military leader in the Scriptures?

In fact, Jephy's attitude would get him the firing squad in almost every military in history.

The main difference was they didn't kill their own kids as a victory celebration.

Frankly, the story doesn't go into a lot of detail about what kind of military leader he was, other than he won, not only defeating the Ammonites and the Ephraimites.

The tactic of making people pronounce the word "Shibboleth" to pick out the Ephraimites from the other tribes of Israel was kind of clever. I mean, other than his killing 42,000 of his fellow Hebrews in the process.
I guessed you missed the part where the Canaanites, the people you love, were sacrificing their kids as a weekly event, while this story only says that he would sacrifice whatever he saw event though the later verse states that she remained isolated with her friends for the rest of their lives.

You just love to lie.

He hates religion, especially Judaism because we haven’t murdered as many people as other religions.
JoeB is an idiot.
Jews have no inclination to convert anyone so we don't commit murder because you won't give us your tithe.
by not reading your book, if you might - what specifically makes your religion different than the simple spoken religion of antiquity, namely the triumph of good vs evil.
is there an echo chamber - or just the breeze, independant - that travels through one ear and out the other.
You are not making yourself clear.
If you want to say Israelis are murderers, say it.
Then Link to some sources to back it up.
What's the main difference between Jephy and almost every other military leader in the Scriptures?

In fact, Jephy's attitude would get him the firing squad in almost every military in history.

The main difference was they didn't kill their own kids as a victory celebration.

Frankly, the story doesn't go into a lot of detail about what kind of military leader he was, other than he won, not only defeating the Ammonites and the Ephraimites.

The tactic of making people pronounce the word "Shibboleth" to pick out the Ephraimites from the other tribes of Israel was kind of clever. I mean, other than his killing 42,000 of his fellow Hebrews in the process.
I guessed you missed the part where the Canaanites, the people you love, were sacrificing their kids as a weekly event, while this story only says that he would sacrifice whatever he saw event though the later verse states that she remained isolated with her friends for the rest of their lives.

You just love to lie.
Jews have no inclination to convert anyone ...
by not reading your book, if you might - what specifically makes your religion different than the simple spoken religion of antiquity, namely the triumph of good vs evil.
convert anyone - to what ...

He hates religion, especially Judaism because we haven’t murdered as many people as other religions.
JoeB is an idiot.
Jews have no inclination to convert anyone so we don't commit murder because you won't give us your tithe.
is there an echo chamber - or just the breeze, independant - that travels through one ear and out the other.
You are not making yourself clear.
If you want to say Israelis are murderers, say it.
Then Link to some sources to back it up.

You just love to lie.
Jews have no inclination to convert anyone ...
convert anyone - to what ...
Catholosism.
Islam.
Marxism.
Fascism.

Here's the first problem with this logic. If God didn't want the sacrifice, then why give Jephthah the victory he prayed for? Remember, this is written as a quid-pro-quo. YOu let me kill the Ammonites, I'll kill something as a burnt offering. I'm guessing he thought it would a sheep or an oxen or something like that, because the OT goes on and on about how God loves that shit. But God who knows all and sees all, should have known damned well it would be his daughter. So Jephy was foolish, but God was outright fucking evil.
Do you imagine Jephthah was the only person praying for victory? Perhaps try for a wider perspective instead of such a narrow one.

As far as not knowing what was going on, in the next chapter the Ephramites are asking why he didn't ask them to join in the war against Ammon. He then proceeds to kill 42,000 of them. - his own people. The guy was a stone cold sociopath. Yet the New Testament calls him a man of valor in Hebrews 11.
Once again, you are missing a great deal of the account and jumping to unwarranted conclusions.

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the whole theme of the Book of Judges was to show how bad things had gotten in Israel after Joshua (another genocidal maniac) because they lacked clear and consistant leadership until God appointed Kings. (Except the Kings of Judah and Israel tend to be a bunch of feckless twits, too, for the most part.)
You can't seem to see nor grasp major points. For me it is like trying to point out the constellations in the night sky to someone who can only see dark--stubbornly ignoring all the stars.

No, it is only insulting to the idea that anyone thinks they possess the one, true interpretation of myths that were meant to be literal when invented by terrified, superstitious, iron age people.
Not my perception of iron-age people. Quite the opposite.

The next time i observe a discussion with multiple religious people, and ANY TWO are in 100% agreement 100% of the time about 100% of the interpretations of the myths in even ONE book of the Bible, much less the entire Bible, will be the first.
I'm betting you always color inside the lines. ;)

What part of "mysterious ways" do you find unclear?
You sound almost like a Mizrahi Jew with all that Kabbalah stuff going on. Men over 40 make certain odd decisions that affect others adversely, arbitrarily, and capriciously. There's a total nightclub atmosphere, and a lot of unnecessary and undesirable mutilation going on.

God created the universe, put human beings on Earth, and then each of us lives a short life mostly consisting of struggling to survive and suffering, then we die.

Some of us go to heaven, some of us go to hell, based on criteria no one can agree on.

Some say we go to heaven if we believe Jesus is our Savior.

But what happens to all the unlucky people who never heard of Jesus because they were born before he was born or live in countries where Christianity isn't widespread?

Some people believe we go to heaven if we have faith and avoid sin. But everyone sins, every day. If you die with one mortal sin on your soul, nothing else matters, you go to hell.

The question I have is why did God set up the whole crazy system to begin with?

Why put us on Earth, to suffer and die? Why not put us in heaven right off the bat?

What good is it to send people to hell?

I'm seriously questioning the logic of believing in a God who is all knowing and all loving and yet sends people to hell for sins God knew before they were born they would commit.

I'm not saying I'm ready to throw Christianity out the window.

The alternative doesn't appear good either.

People who don't believe in God and don't fear going to hell have committed most of the world's nastiest deeds. So faith has a purpose.

And I do believe in God because I can't figure out how a universe can exist without something causing it to exist.

But I'm telling you I need someone to explain how God's plan includes all the horrible things that happen every day.
It doesn't make sense when what you are taught is false & makes no sense.
Go to the beginning in Genesis:
God creates order out of Chaos and is described as that Essence that makes us Shalem (complete and whole). So God is that Essence we reflect and manifest to bring a chaotic world into one of order stability and completeness-aka olam habah=
world to come (perfected kingdom/heaven).
Judaism has always taught a firm ethic of working for a
better world, not waiting or sitting expecting it to plop
down and be handed to us. The mistake religious and secular society
takes is in waiting on G-d, as seen in their
misstranslation of the term in the bible which meant
“Bind” in G-d (not wait on G-d). This waiting causes
society to neglect the work that must be done in order
to create the world to come that could and ought to be.
Judaism is about changing the world in which we live.
This should come as no surprise, since Jews recite this
three times a day, in the very final prayer of the service,
known as Aleinu: 'to perfect the world in G-d's
kingdom.'
So in Brief, that is what Judaism is about, it is about
transforming and bettering the world. The 'repair of the
World' =Tikkun Olam. and preparing for the 'world to
come'=Olam Habah. All of Judaism is based on the
ideas that life is a steady progression of processions
toward higher states of perfection, both on micro and
macro layers of existance. Man is instructed to better
himself & rid himself of animalistic tendencies and
deprecating and selfish receiving impulses. The
knowledge & teaching that the future will bring a better
world is not just a dream. The Torah itself, talks about
the coming of Moshiach, who will set the process of
redemption in motion by which the world will reach its
perfection. Jews believe that all peoples are called to
the service of righteousness, and we welcome dialogue
with people of “good will” from all traditions. We believe
in working towards the Tikkun Olam / 'the repair of the world' through programs of social action. Things like Poverty, Racial discrimination, political injustice, war and environmental deterioration are concerns always addressed in Judaism. (Not to be confused with the politicization and abuses masked as activism)

It's obvious you know nothing about Talmudic law; the demands for proving guilt of a Biblical transgression are almost impossible.
In fact, the one time in history that the death penalty was possible, due to purposeful public transgressions, the Sanhedrin disbanded.
But don't facts stop you from being an ignorant hater.

It just meant you guys couldn't live under your stupid rules, either.

I didn't say communication with God, I said connection.
Your anger causes you to mistranslate everything.

Tomato, Tamato, whatever. There is no God. The tragedy is that western civilization picked the savage deity of the Hebrews instead of someone cool like Mithras to be the Supreme Sky Fairy.

You just love to lie.

Okay, except that nothing said that she lived in isolation. She outright got sacrificed as a burnt offering. The word used in the original Hebrew was "olah"

Do you imagine Jephthah was the only person praying for victory? Perhaps try for a wider perspective instead of such a narrow one.

Everyone else was praying for victory, but the Ammonites were still kicking their asses. Again, the whole theme of Judges was people weren't living in a Godly way, which is why they kept getting their butts kicked by the other tribes.

Skipped this entirely. Talk to me directly. Videos aren't worth my attention.

Too bad, it's pretty funny and captures religious idiots perfectly.

At an age too young, he was badly hurt by an ignorant nun.

Yup, they told me there was a fairy in the sky who cared about us, and there isn't. I kind of feel sad for them. the absolute best thing that happened in the 70's is that it became kind of hip to be a Lesbian, and women didn't have to sign up for this awful lifestyle anymore because they didn't like men.

Now, fun story... My sisters remained Catholic, and my niece was raising money for her school, and I joked, " A nun isn't going to come looking for me with a wooden ruler if I don't pay up, right?" and she said, "We don't have those anymore". We were watching the Blues Brothers with my sister and my neice, and they had the scene with Sister Mary Stigmata, and my sister and I thought this scene was hysterical. My niece didn't get it.

Everyone else was praying for victory, but the Ammonites were still kicking their asses. Again, the whole theme of Judges was people weren't living in a Godly way, which is why they kept getting their butts kicked by the other tribes.

Skipped this entirely. Talk to me directly. Videos aren't worth my attention.

Too bad, it's pretty funny and captures religious idiots perfectly.

At an age too young, he was badly hurt by an ignorant nun.

Yup, they told me there was a fairy in the sky who cared about us, and there isn't. I kind of feel sad for them. the absolute best thing that happened in the 70's is that it became kind of hip to be a Lesbian, and women didn't have to sign up for this awful lifestyle anymore because they didn't like men.

Now, fun story... My sisters remained Catholic, and my niece was raising money for her school, and I joked, " A nun isn't going to come looking for me with a wooden ruler if I don't pay up, right?" and she said, "We don't have those anymore". We were watching the Blues Brothers with my sister and my neice, and they had the scene with Sister Mary Stigmata, and my sister and I thought this scene was hysterical. My niece didn't get it.

The Brits do it better.

God created the universe, put human beings on Earth, and then each of us lives a short life mostly consisting of struggling to survive and suffering, then we die.

Some of us go to heaven, some of us go to hell, based on criteria no one can agree on.

Some say we go to heaven if we believe Jesus is our Savior.

But what happens to all the unlucky people who never heard of Jesus because they were born before he was born or live in countries where Christianity isn't widespread?

Some people believe we go to heaven if we have faith and avoid sin. But everyone sins, every day. If you die with one mortal sin on your soul, nothing else matters, you go to hell.

The question I have is why did God set up the whole crazy system to begin with?

Why put us on Earth, to suffer and die? Why not put us in heaven right off the bat?

What good is it to send people to hell?

I'm seriously questioning the logic of believing in a God who is all knowing and all loving and yet sends people to hell for sins God knew before they were born they would commit.

I'm not saying I'm ready to throw Christianity out the window.

The alternative doesn't appear good either.

People who don't believe in God and don't fear going to hell have committed most of the world's nastiest deeds. So faith has a purpose.

And I do believe in God because I can't figure out how a universe can exist without something causing it to exist.

But I'm telling you I need someone to explain how God's plan includes all the horrible things that happen every day.
Sounds like you’re starting to decode a system that was perhaps not set up by God but rather by man.

Again, the whole theme of Judges was people weren't living in a Godly way, which is why they kept getting their butts kicked by the other tribes.
Only partially correct. What was the other half of the theme?

An example of not taking the time to research and then think things through logically without emotional disdain of nuns.

Not my perception of iron-age people. Quite the opposite.
Then you're wrong. These people believed in the most inane of superstitious nonsense. They were terrified of disease and death and magical nonsense, because they knew nothing of their world. They had short lifespans and attributed their woes to magical nonsense. So they made up religious myths. The ones you espouse are only a handful of thousands they invented to cope with a world they didn't understand. It is sad and embarrassing for humans that we still take any of that nonsense literally at all.

Forum List

Back