Someone please explain the logic of what God is doing because I don't get it

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
God created the universe, put human beings on Earth, and then each of us lives a short life mostly consisting of struggling to survive and suffering, then we die.

Some of us go to heaven, some of us go to hell, based on criteria no one can agree on.

Some say we go to heaven if we believe Jesus is our Savior.

But what happens to all the unlucky people who never heard of Jesus because they were born before he was born or live in countries where Christianity isn't widespread?

Some people believe we go to heaven if we have faith and avoid sin. But everyone sins, every day. If you die with one mortal sin on your soul, nothing else matters, you go to hell.

The question I have is why did God set up the whole crazy system to begin with?

Why put us on Earth, to suffer and die? Why not put us in heaven right off the bat?

What good is it to send people to hell?

I'm seriously questioning the logic of believing in a God who is all knowing and all loving and yet sends people to hell for sins God knew before they were born they would commit.

I'm not saying I'm ready to throw Christianity out the window.

The alternative doesn't appear good either.

People who don't believe in God and don't fear going to hell have committed most of the world's nastiest deeds. So faith has a purpose.

And I do believe in God because I can't figure out how a universe can exist without something causing it to exist.

But I'm telling you I need someone to explain how God's plan includes all the horrible things that happen every day.

The final "joke" may be that life is the gateway to an eternal state that all living join in the end, and our stories of retribution and 'hell' are merely to manipulate us in this brief appearance on stage. In other words, no matter how 'good' or 'bad' one is here, it is such an insignificant wink of the cosmic eye that it doesn't matter; all that matters is having entered life in order to get to eternity.

“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”

― Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

read the book ...conversations with god...which i enjoyed...my husband called it a feel good book for sinners (he was raised to be southern baptist minister)

the concept of hell is simply beyond me....

“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”

― Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
How would one know, in that context, that "God" smiles?

Metaphorically.

Metaphorically.
Well, "metaphorically", and as far as our view and understanding goes, we could say that "God" indeed plays dice.

Metaphorically.
Well, "metaphorically", and as far as our view and understanding goes, we could say that "God" indeed plays dice.

The book "Good Omens" is about angels, demons, witches, witch hunters, the antichrist and his dog ... I think you might be taking it a wee bit too literally.

But, people tend to do that when dealing with books about the spiritual.

Today I saw a bunch of homeless people sleeping next to the courthouse.

Should I thank God that I am more fortunate than they are?

If so, then it must be God that made those people homeless.

God created the universe, put human beings on Earth, and then each of us lives a short life mostly consisting of struggling to survive and suffering, then we die.

Some of us go to heaven, some of us go to hell, based on criteria no one can agree on.

But what happens to all the unlucky people who never heard of Jesus because they were born before he was born or live in countries where Christianity isn't widespread?

Some people believe we go to heaven if we have faith and avoid sin. But everyone sins, every day. If you die with one mortal sin on your soul, nothing else matters, you go to hell.

Why put us on Earth, to suffer and die? Why not put us in heaven right off the bat?

I'm seriously questioning the logic of believing in a God who is all knowing and all loving and yet sends people to hell for sins God knew before they were born they would commit.

People who don't believe in God and don't fear going to hell have committed most of the world's nastiest deeds. So faith has a purpose.

And I do believe in God because I can't figure out how a universe can exist without something causing it to exist.

But I'm telling you I need someone to explain how God's plan includes all the horrible things that happen every day.
Because G-d isn’t a micro manager and humans have free choice. And humans do terrible things and pretend it’s for G-d

The notion that a just God would create imperfect beings and then punish them eternally for being imperfect, is laughable.

The notion that a just God would create imperfect beings and then punish them eternally for being imperfect, is laughable.
It's not a laughing matter.

Religion is another way to control you and at some point it may occur to you that the god in these "holy books" may be entities pretending to be the God.

Maybe God is just the source of all Consciousness and Energy and we are all connected to it.

It's not a laughing matter.
I agree. We can't have freedom OF religion without freedom FROM religion. A system that bases its morals on such an outdated notion as eternal damnation is in trouble, as it gives people the excuse to be inhumane to others..

I recommend Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach. (He also wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull.)

One discussion is we choose our life much the same as we choose the types of movies we enjoy watching. Some choose light comedy or romance; others choose horror or drama. The answer to, "Why are we here?" boils down to two reasons: To learn. To have fun.

Illusions is one of my favorite books, but I keep in mind the answer the Catholic catechism gives us about Why are we here as well: To know God, to love Him, to serve Him in this world. We could call this life our apprenticeship, training for the next.

Forget about hell and concentrate on The Way. Concentrate on learning and having fun. Focus on knowing God, loving God, and serving God in any small way that your life presents.

I agree. We can't have freedom OF religion without freedom FROM religion. A system that bases its morals on such an outdated notion as eternal damnation is in trouble, as it gives people the excuse to be inhumane to others..
"Eternal" means all times--past, PRESENT, and future. We create our own hell right here and now. We don't have to wait until death.

Forum List

Back