Skunked!

ricechickie

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2014
New York
My dog went out last night to chase something. He often does this with squirrels, birds, and the feral cats that sometimes get into our yard.

But last night he met his match.

I need moral support, and skunk-smell-removal remedies. Tell me if you've experienced this and what you've used, please.

Thankfully, I saw him come back immediately after it happened. He stunk, and he was foaming at the mouth, gagging and spitting. He didn't get far into the house, so it's not too bad in here (the windows were open and fans running all night).

From what I can smell, he got hit in the face, mostly on the left side. We've doused him with pureed tomatoes (no juice on hand, lol), and also a peroxide-baking soda- detergent solution. But I didn't want that stuff to get into his eyes. Last night, he actually slept with us, and it wasn't too bad. Today, I noticed the smell still on his face, so I made a baking soda and water paste and applied it. The water seems to have reactivated the smell.

Now, I'm getting drunk.

Oh my. Hopefully he didn't get too sick. We have a lot of skunks around here too, and they are kind of stupid. They'll walk right up on you if you don't make any sound. I always make sure I make some noise when I go outside at night to scare them off.

My dog went out last night to chase something. He often does this with squirrels, birds, and the feral cats that sometimes get into our yard.

I need moral support, and skunk-smell-removal remedies. Tell me if you've experienced this and what you've used, please.

Thankfully, I saw him come back immediately after it happened. He stunk, and he was foaming at the mouth, gagging and spitting. He didn't get far into the house, so it's not too bad in here (the windows were open and fans running all night).

From what I can smell, he got hit in the face, mostly on the left side. We've doused him with pureed tomatoes (no juice on hand, lol), and also a peroxide-baking soda- detergent solution. But I didn't want that stuff to get into his eyes. Last night, he actually slept with us, and it wasn't too bad. Today, I noticed the smell still on his face, so I made a baking soda and water paste and applied it. The water seems to have reactivated the smell.

Now, I'm getting drunk.
I have no advice for people who let dogs in the house and sleep with them.

Sorry.

Now, I'm getting drunk.
I have no advice for people who let dogs in the house and sleep with them.

Sorry.

If that were the case, all men would be sleeping outside! :lol:

Oh, lord, this was so long ago, I thought nobody cared.

It's all right, he didn't get too sick, and we kept applying a baking soda/dish soap/peroxide solution to his face regularly. Funny thing about skunk, it seems to come and go. Sometimes, we think we smelled the last of it, then the smell intensifies for a while. But even so, it's not bad at all.

I don't know what to make of the comment about letting my dog sleep with me. The cats do, too.

Oh, lord, this was so long ago, I thought nobody cared.

It's all right, he didn't get too sick, and we kept applying a baking soda/dish soap/peroxide solution to his face regularly. Funny thing about skunk, it seems to come and go. Sometimes, we think we smelled the last of it, then the smell intensifies for a while. But even so, it's not bad at all.

I don't know what to make of the comment about letting my dog sleep with me. The cats do, too.

Glad your dog came out of it okay.

Ignore the idiot comment about people letting dogs sleep with them. Its the poster's loss and a lucky break for dogs - both ways.

Forum List

Back