Should There Be Some Limit on Freedom of Speech?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
The Internet is a powerful means of spreading information, but it's also a power means of spreading dangerous misinformation. And when that misinformation is accepted as fact and innocent people act on it and die is this not analogous to screaming fire in a crowded auditorium where there is no fire and many are trampled to death.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, there is a big difference between, the statements of opinion and fact, and between news and editorials. Just as there is a big difference between the statements, "In my opinion, we had many deaths due to covid-19 vaccines in the US. " and "5,250 people in the US have died due covid-19 vaccinations" The first statement is a personal expression of opinion and carries far less weight than the second which is declaration of fact.

IMHO, if we do no find a way to stop the spread of dangerous misinformation, it will eventually lead to government controlling media, not because of some sinister clandestine organization or some world goverment, but because the people will demand it.

Yes, there should be SOME limits. I support the "Some" as defined during the bulk of my 66 year life up until recent times.

The authoritarian left has expanded that "some" to the point where it means "anything they don't like", however, and that is a very dangerous thing, indeed.

The Internet is a powerful means of spreading information, but it's also a power means of spreading dangerous misinformation. And when that misinformation is accepted as fact and innocent people act on it and die is this not analogous to screaming fire in a crowded auditorium where there is no fire and many are trampled to death.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, there is a big difference between, the statements of opinion and fact, and between news and editorials. Just as there is a big difference between the statements, "In my opinion, we had many deaths due to covid-19 vaccines in the US. " and "5,250 people in the US have died due covid-19 vaccinations" The first statement is a personal expression of opinion and carries far less weight than the second which is declaration of fact.

IMHO, if we do no find a way to stop the spread of dangerous misinformation, it will eventually lead to government controlling media, not because of some sinister clandestine organization or some world goverment, but because the people will demand it.
Of course if the people would wake the fuck up, go after the brainless idiots on the Capitol Hill and do very bad things to them, making them want to leave this country, then none of this shit would be worrisome. But as long as those fuckers keep the idiots going against the rest of US citizens, then divided we fall...

The problem is that some entity would have to be given the authority to decide what is/is not information vs misinformation and the authority to act on that opinion. Censorship.
Each individual must have the freedom to decide for themselves what truths or lies they are willing to believe.

1626487437742.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

Facts are just opinions

Yes, there should be SOME limits. I support the "Some" as defined during the bulk of my 66 year life up until recent times.

The authoritarian left has expanded that "some" to the point where it means "anything they don't like", however, and that is a very dangerous thing, indeed.

But muh Trump, fascist.

This is why the government claims they want to control the internet.

But as we have all seen during our lives, the government lies to us. What they claim is "good for us" is actually a controlling mechanism.
Whether it be "good" or "bad" is a moot point. The government should be creating ways for people to have to be responsible for what they say on the internet.

And that all starts with the media. Freedom of speech is completely different from blatant lying and fabrication of "news" in order to cite dissension and violence between people.

Until ALL news media is forced to pay for their lies and treachery, and pay actual money in restitution for what their lies and deceit has done to this country and it's people, nothing will ever change.

It's a case of "monkey see, monkey do". The brainless sheeples of this country see what the politicians, media, and corporations do..........and they expect they can do the same as they do.

Stop the lies and abuse where it starts. The sheeples will soon follow.

IMO its not a freedom of speech issue. If you break my rules while in my home I reserve the right to kick your ass out of my home. If you want freedom of speech on the internet start your own platform.

fb.png

Platforms that allow the spreading of dis-information should be sanctioned if they are not willing to limit the spread of disinformation themselves. The regulatory bodies have a role to play in this. They are not doing it.

IMO its not a freedom of speech issue. If you break my rules while in my home I reserve the right to kick your ass out of my home. If you want freedom of speech on the internet start your own platform.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Yes why do you ask?

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Yes why do you ask?
Just checking

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Yes why do you ask?
Just checking
What's the relevance of a monopoly to my post?

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Yes why do you ask?
Just checking
If you are wondering..well

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Yes why do you ask?
Just checking
If you are wondering..well
I'm guessing you were unaware that FB is not a monopoly? Dont get silent on me now.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Ever hear of MySpace? They WERE a big deal and now their gone. Nothing is permanent about anything. If it’s such a problem, why haven’t the entrepreneurs on the right done anything about it or are the courts just an easy way out? Reagan would be embarrassed.

Forum List

Back