Should There Be Some Limit on Freedom of Speech?

The Internet is a powerful means of spreading information, but it's also a power means of spreading dangerous misinformation. And when that misinformation is accepted as fact and innocent people act on it and die is this not analogous to screaming fire in a crowded auditorium where there is no fire and many are trampled to death.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, there is a big difference between, the statements of opinion and fact, and between news and editorials. Just as there is a big difference between the statements, "In my opinion, we had many deaths due to covid-19 vaccines in the US. " and "5,250 people in the US have died due covid-19 vaccinations" The first statement is a personal expression of opinion and carries far less weight than the second which is declaration of fact.

IMHO, if we do no find a way to stop the spread of dangerous misinformation, it will eventually lead to government controlling media, not because of some sinister clandestine organization or some world goverment, but because the people will demand it.
IMO its not a freedom of speech issue. If you break my rules while in my home I reserve the right to kick your ass out of my home. If you want freedom of speech on the internet start your own platform.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Yes why do you ask?
Just checking
What's the relevance of a monopoly to my post?
If you are wondering..well
I'm guessing you were unaware that FB is not a monopoly? Dont get silent on me now.

Lmao

The Internet is a powerful means of spreading information, but it's also a power means of spreading dangerous misinformation. And when that misinformation is accepted as fact and innocent people act on it and die is this not analogous to screaming fire in a crowded auditorium where there is no fire and many are trampled to death.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, there is a big difference between, the statements of opinion and fact, and between news and editorials. Just as there is a big difference between the statements, "In my opinion, we had many deaths due to covid-19 vaccines in the US. " and "5,250 people in the US have died due covid-19 vaccinations" The first statement is a personal expression of opinion and carries far less weight than the second which is declaration of fact.

IMHO, if we do no find a way to stop the spread of dangerous misinformation, it will eventually lead to government controlling media, not because of some sinister clandestine organization or some world goverment, but because the people will demand it.
IMO its not a freedom of speech issue. If you break my rules while in my home I reserve the right to kick your ass out of my home. If you want freedom of speech on the internet start your own platform.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Ever hear of MySpace? They WERE a big deal and now their gone. Nothing is permanent about anything. If it’s such a problem, why haven’t the entrepreneurs on the right done anything about it or are the courts just an easy way out? Reagan would be embarrassed.
Myspace is still here.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Ever hear of MySpace? They WERE a big deal and now their gone. Nothing is permanent about anything. If it’s such a problem, why haven’t the entrepreneurs on the right done anything about it or are the courts just an easy way out? Reagan would be embarrassed.
Ever hear of USMB?

View attachment 513663
The problem is that Facebook first squelched posts about the virus having come from gain-of-function experiments at the Wuhan Virology Lab and now everyone thinks that is where it came from.

View attachment 513663
The problem is that Facebook first squelched posts about the virus having come from gain-of-function experiments at the Wuhan Virology Lab and now everyone thinks that is where it came from.
That doesn't change the fact that its still their right to delete, tag any post you make or kick you off their platform.

Of course, there already are some; it seems as if the question here is in fact, should we have more, or fewer?

To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about society investing the responsibility of drawing the line between protected and unprotected speech in the likes of Mark Zuckerburg, but the law always takes a few decades to catch up to technology. So, I guess we take what we can get.

What to do when the misinformation comes from those who are claiming they are trying to stop the 'misinformation'?

The single greatest control of misinformation is gaslighting those who would tell the truth and claim they are misinforming people.

He who controls the spice controls the universe.

View attachment 513663
That doesn't change the fact that its still their right to delete, tag any post you make or kick you off their platform.
should phone companies be able to do the same ?

View attachment 513663
Yep.

Platforms that allow the spreading of dis-information should be sanctioned if they are not willing to limit the spread of disinformation themselves. The regulatory bodies have a role to play in this. They are not doing it.
XiSmile.jpg

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?

A fascit fucktard like you invoking Reagan is as pathetic as you can get.

Fascitbook joining the feds to decide for everyone else what is "misinformation" or not is straight out of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.....In Murica, it's known as "prior restraint" and ruled by USSC as defacto censorship.

What to do when the misinformation comes from those who are claiming they are trying to stop the 'misinformation'?

The single greatest control of misinformation is gaslighting those who would tell the truth and claim they are misinforming people.

He who controls the spice controls the universe.
I don't subscribe to the "do nothing because what if" method of problem solving. That's called analysis paralysis. There is a tried and true method of problem solving. Form a plan. Implement the plan. Analyze the results to see what you can do better. Wash and repeat.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Fascitbook joining the feds to decide for everyone else what is "misinformation" or not is straight out of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.
That would only be true if FaceBook was the only news media in town.

Nope.

We already have reasonable limits on free speech. Slander, "fire in crowded theater", harassment - that kind of thing - are reasonably well defined. The last thing we want is a "Ministry of Truth", whereby the party in charge slams its vision of reality down our throats.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Fascitbook joining the feds to decide for everyone else what is "misinformation" or not is straight out of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.
Irrelevant to the question of prior restraint, comrade.

View attachment 513663
Yep.
wow ! totalitarian fascism ! and the reason you believe that is because you think your views will be allowed !

View attachment 513663

Facebook, or any other website, censoring content is an entirely different matter. Really has nothing to do with the OP. Kinda the opposite really.

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Actually its not. If there is only one source of information then the danger is greater than the benefit

View attachment 513663
ever hear of a monopoly?
Actually its not. If there is only one source of information then the danger is greater than the benefit
Actually, it is....Your "one source of information" is an irrelevant red herring.

View attachment 513663

Facebook, or any other website, censoring content is an entirely different matter. Really has nothing to do with the OP. Kinda the opposite really.
The title asks should there be limits on freedom of speech. It's not a free speech issue because its a private company which is what the OP is indirectly referencing.

Forum List

Back