Should the federal gov't bailout the states that are basically bankrupt?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
The latest COVID Relief Bill is stalled in Congress , and one big reason why is that the democrats what to include approx $915 billion in aid to the states, but the republicans only want to give approx $150 billion, and so far neither side is budging. Meanwhile the people and families that really need the help aren't getting it, but that ain't the focus of this tread. Essentially the issue in this thread is in the thread title: should the federal gov't bailout the states?

The essentials of the concept of federalism as practiced in this country is that the federal gov't is supposed to tend to it's own business, which are those functions listed in the Constitution. Supposedly the functions that should be performed at the national level that the states, counties, and cities aren't really equipped for, such as foreign affairs, national defense, etc. Basically if a function doesn't need to be handled at the federal level then it should fall on the individual states to do what they need to do and tailor it to their specific requirements. The federal gov't is not supposed to tell them what to do, but the states have the authority to tax their residents as they see fit to pay for whatever need to be done.

Great - except for one problem: what if the states just can't pay for what needs to be done? What if the states are mismanaged or they overspend? Should the federal gov't bail them out of their fiscal hole? If they do, then would the states change their proligate ways? And then be back in a few years asking for more bailouts?

What if a problem like the Coronavirus comes along and acerbates the existing fiscal problem? Does that change the calculus?

Consider this: as of now, I believe states do not have the option to declare bankruptcy, congress would have to pass a law to allow that. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatev. Te status quo with respect to the bankrupt or early bankrupt states is unsustainable; I don't see any alternative to forcing them to deal with their own problems, but possibly they need the bankruptcy option as leverage to get deals and compromises done.

I cannot support a bailout for the cities and states. They've got to find their own solutions IMHO. The federal gov't should give them the bankruptcy option, and any other tools that make fiscal sense. But not a bailout.

The latest COVID Relief Bill is stalled in Congress , and one big reason why is that the democrats what to include approx $915 billion in aid to the states, but the republicans only want to give approx $150 billion, and so far neither side is budging. Meanwhile the people and families that really need the help aren't getting it, but that ain't the focus of this tread. Essentially the issue in this thread is in the thread title: should the federal gov't bailout the states?

The essentials of the concept of federalism as practiced in this country is that the federal gov't is supposed to tend to it's own business, which are those functions listed in the Constitution. Supposedly the functions that should be performed at the national level that the states, counties, and cities aren't really equipped for, such as foreign affairs, national defense, etc. Basically if a function doesn't need to be handled at the federal level then it should fall on the individual states to do what they need to do and tailor it to their specific requirements. The federal gov't is not supposed to tell them what to do, but the states have the authority to tax their residents as they see fit to pay for whatever need to be done.

Great - except for one problem: what if the states just can't pay for what needs to be done? What if the states are mismanaged or they overspend? Should the federal gov't bail them out of their fiscal hole? If they do, then would the states change their proligate ways? And then be back in a few years asking for more bailouts?

What if a problem like the Coronavirus comes along and acerbates the existing fiscal problem? Does that change the calculus?

Consider this: as of now, I believe states do not have the option to declare bankruptcy, congress would have to pass a law to allow that. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatev. Te status quo with respect to the bankrupt or early bankrupt states is unsustainable; I don't see any alternative to forcing them to deal with their own problems, but possibly they need the bankruptcy option as leverage to get deals and compromises done.

I cannot support a bailout for the cities and states. They've got to find their own solutions IMHO. The federal gov't should give them the bankruptcy option, and any other tools that make fiscal sense. But not a bailout.

No. They shouldn't. Because if they do, the States will just do it again. They need to learn to control themselves.

These are unique times

The Federal Government needs to step in. The US Government can just run up tens of trillions of debt and just keep going.

To States, they try to tell them to be more responsible.

These are unique times

The Federal Government needs to step in. The US Government can just run up tens of trillions of debt and just keep going.

No the Feds can't. Are you on drugs?

Only if Trump sets up Emergency Financial Control Board for every city or State accepting a bailout

Conditionally.

We review how they got this way and all of those who voted on policies that led to their own demise are now out of gov work for life.

get rid of the root of the problem we will be glad to help clean up. keep the problem there, no. you fix it and deal with the pain of it.

No bailout for anyone. Let the broke bastards lie in the beds they made themselves. Besides what are they going to bail them out with, monopoly money?

No.

Let the citizens of those states march the incompetent governments THEY VOTED FOR NUMEROUS TIMES into the streets, bury them in rotten fruit and vegetables, tar-and-feather them or even Mussolini them for their crimes if justified.

Only then should the federal government consider lending them a hand with Americans' tax dollars, under federal supervision.

No.

Let the citizens of those states march the incompetent governments THEY VOTED FOR NUMEROUS TIMES into the streets, bury them in rotten fruit and vegetables, tar-and-feather them or even Mussolini them for their crimes if justified.

Only then should the federal government consider lending them a hand with Americans' tax dollars, under federal supervision.

But we already know that ain't gonna happen.

These are unique times

If course they can
They rebuilt Europe they can help our states

No the Feds can't. Are you on drugs?

The Federal government should no bailout mismanaged states-----they should send in prosecutors to file criminal charges against those charged with managing the states monies and who are mismanaging it and then seize theirs and their buddies assets for stealing the assets.

Forum List

Back