Should Good Friday be a Government Holiday ?

It is the start of the week leading up to the Christian holiday of Easter- the day that Christians believe that Christ was resurrected from the dead, preceded by Good Friday, when it is believed that Christ was crucified. I wish my Christian brethren a happy holiday and respect their beliefs, as all religious traditions have their place, and freedom of religion is an important aspect of our national fabric.

However, I have an issue with the fact the Good Friday- as is Christmas day, is a state holiday in my state of New Jersey as well as in 12 other states where state employees are given the day off at the expense of the taxpayers. To me, that is a blatant violation of the concept of the separation of church and state. While it has been successfully argued that Christmas has become a primarily secular holiday given the commercial nature of it, I have a hard time understanding why and how Good Friday has become a government holiday in so many states.

Yes, as you will see from the linked article, there is an argument for Good Friday being a secular holiday as well. However, you will also see that the arguments against recognizing Good Friday as a government holiday , is equally compelling, if not more so. In either case, it is hard to get past the blatant violation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment. Here is some food for thought:

Should Government Observe Good Friday & Easter?

Do state and local laws or policies which create holidays on Good Friday violate the separation of church and state? Is making Good Friday a public or school holiday is unconstitutional, or can there be a secular purpose behind making Good Friday an official holiday? Indeed, is Good Friday still a religious holiday anymore or has it become a secular holiday? Some Christians want government should to make Good Friday an official public holiday, but others are pushing back.

Many argue that creating a public holiday out of a purely religious holy day — closing schools and/or government offices — amounts to an establishment of religion. Because Good Friday falls on a regular work day, making it a public holiday entails paying government employees just as if they were working. Businesses remain open and most people are expected to be at work, a real problem if their children are given a day off from school, further penalizing non-Christian parents

Read More: http://atheism.about.com/od/religioussymbolsholidays/a/GoodFridayEaster.htm

Here is another very informative article:

First Amendment Center

Nashville, Tenn.

Monday, September 16, 2002

Editor’s note: The following section on religious holidays contains consensus guidelines drafted and endorsed by a broad range of 17 religious and educational groups. These guidelines are intended to reflect current law in this area, though on some questions there may be no controlling Supreme Court opinion and the lower courts may be divided. While understanding the legal framework is essential in considering the role of religion in public schools, the law will not supply answers to every question. These consensus guidelines are intended to provide direction to school boards, parents, community members, administrators, teachers and students as they work together to address issues and draft policies concerning religious holidays.

Since 1776 the United States has grown from a nation of relatively few religious differences to one of countless religious groups. This expanding pluralism challenges the public schools to deal creatively and sensitively with students professing many religions and none.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/religious-holidays

I support the GOOD FRIDAY holiday------people need time to get the easter ham going and time to get the easter bonnet in shape and its been a public holiday in
the states I have lived all my life------****((((( TRADITION ))))) *****

Sorry, but people like holidays, but "Fidel Friday" and "Che Guevara Day" just won't fly here despite Obama's glorious legacy success in Cuba. (cue Laff-Trak)

BTW, there is no violation.

We all pay for religious and non religious holidays but we don't all benefit from them. No more should be added and some should be ended.

People are too politically correct these days. It's better for Good Friday to be national holiday than Columbus Day, which celebrates the slaughter of millions of Native Americans. I'm one Jew who doesn't mind. BTW, do Christians fast on Good Friday like we do on Yom Kippur?

It is the start of the week leading up to the Christian holiday of Easter- the day that Christians believe that Christ was resurrected from the dead, preceded by Good Friday, when it is believed that Christ was crucified. I wish my Christian brethren a happy holiday and respect their beliefs, as all religious traditions have their place, and freedom of religion is an important aspect of our national fabric.

However, I have an issue with the fact the Good Friday- as is Christmas day, is a state holiday in my state of New Jersey as well as in 12 other states where state employees are given the day off at the expense of the taxpayers. To me, that is a blatant violation of the concept of the separation of church and state. While it has been successfully argued that Christmas has become a primarily secular holiday given the commercial nature of it, I have a hard time understanding why and how Good Friday has become a government holiday in so many states.

Yes, as you will see from the linked article, there is an argument for Good Friday being a secular holiday as well. However, you will also see that the arguments against recognizing Good Friday as a government holiday , is equally compelling, if not more so. In either case, it is hard to get past the blatant violation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment. Here is some food for thought:

Do state and local laws or policies which create holidays on Good Friday violate the separation of church and state? Is making Good Friday a public or school holiday is unconstitutional, or can there be a secular purpose behind making Good Friday an official holiday? Indeed, is Good Friday still a religious holiday anymore or has it become a secular holiday? Some Christians want government should to make Good Friday an official public holiday, but others are pushing back.

Many argue that creating a public holiday out of a purely religious holy day — closing schools and/or government offices — amounts to an establishment of religion. Because Good Friday falls on a regular work day, making it a public holiday entails paying government employees just as if they were working. Businesses remain open and most people are expected to be at work, a real problem if their children are given a day off from school, further penalizing non-Christian parents

Read More: http://atheism.about.com/od/religioussymbolsholidays/a/GoodFridayEaster.htm

First Amendment Center

Nashville, Tenn.

Editor’s note: The following section on religious holidays contains consensus guidelines drafted and endorsed by a broad range of 17 religious and educational groups. These guidelines are intended to reflect current law in this area, though on some questions there may be no controlling Supreme Court opinion and the lower courts may be divided. While understanding the legal framework is essential in considering the role of religion in public schools, the law will not supply answers to every question. These consensus guidelines are intended to provide direction to school boards, parents, community members, administrators, teachers and students as they work together to address issues and draft policies concerning religious holidays.

Since 1776 the United States has grown from a nation of relatively few religious differences to one of countless religious groups. This expanding pluralism challenges the public schools to deal creatively and sensitively with students professing many religions and none.

To me, that is a blatant violation of the concept of the separation of church and state.

The church and state aren't separated? Where?
Is the government forcing you to go to church? Go to a certain church?
Stop you from going to the church you prefer?

Where in the US Constitution does it mention separation of church and state?

First Amendment Center

Nashville, Tenn.

To me, that is a blatant violation of the concept of the separation of church and state.

Read much of Jefferson? We all know that the words "separation of church" and state are not in the constitution. However, the first amendment states that :Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion....." What do you think that means? If government grants a religious holiday to one religious group and not to others, with no stated secular purpose, that is " respecting the establishment of religion"

First Amendment Center

Nashville, Tenn.

Read much of Jefferson? We all know that the words "separation of church" and state are not in the constitution. However, the first amendment states that :Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion....." What do you think that means? If government grants a religious holiday to one religious group and not to others, with no stated secular purpose, that is " respecting the establishment of religion"

Read much of Jefferson? We all know that the words "separation of church" and state are not in the constitution.

Excellent! It's annoying to hear people claim it is.

However, the first amendment states that :Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion....." What do you think that means?

It means the Federal government can't establish a national church. Think Church of England.

If government grants a religious holiday

That's not setting up a national church. Are you forced to go to church on Friday?

and not to others,

Jewish, Muslim and atheist Federal employees don't get the day off?

First Amendment Center

Nashville, Tenn.

Read much of Jefferson? We all know that the words "separation of church" and state are not in the constitution.

However, the first amendment states that :Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion....." What do you think that means?

It means the Federal government can't establish a national church. Think Church of England.

That's not setting up a national church. Are you forced to go to church on Friday?

and not to others,

Where and when was it decided that the establishment clause only pertains to the establishment of a national church? As far as people of other faiths getting these Christian holidays off, that does not wash. That is like saying that gay people already had equal rights because like a straight person, they could marry someone of the opposite sex.

The fact is that they do not get their own holidays off without use of there own accrued vacation or sick time. When I was an administrator in a state agency, most of the staff was Christian with a few Jews and Muslims. When those non Christian holidays came, the Jews or Muslims had to vie with each other for time off because we could not let them all off at the same time. It created a lot of stress and acrimony among them, as well as for me.

First Amendment Center

Nashville, Tenn.

and not to others,

Where and when was it decided that the establishment clause only pertains to the establishment of a national church? As far as people of other faiths getting these Christian holidays off, that does not wash. That is like saying that gay people already had equal rights because like a straight person, they could marry someone of the opposite sex.

The fact is that they do not get their own holidays off without use of there own accrued vacation or sick time. When I was an administrator in a state agency, most of the staff was Christian with a few Jews and Muslims. When those non Christian holidays came, the Jews or Muslims had to vie with each other for time off because we could not let them all off at the same time. It created a lot of stress and acrimony among them, as well as for me.

That is like saying that gay people already had equal rights because like a straight person, they could marry someone of the opposite sex.

That's correct.

The fact is that they do not get their own holidays off without use of there own accrued vacation or sick time.

That's awful.
It doesn't violate the Constitution.

When those non Christian holidays came, the Jews or Muslims had to vie with each other for time off because we could not let them all off at the same time. It created a lot of stress and acrimony among them, as well as for me.

Stress doesn't violate the Constitution.

and not to others,

That is like saying that gay people already had equal rights because like a straight person, they could marry someone of the opposite sex.

That's correct.
What is correct? That they already had equal rights? You can't serious. I have dealt with that nonsense way to many times but it would be off topic here.

The fact is that they do not get their own holidays off without use of there own accrued vacation or sick time.

That's awful.
How do you know? How about equal protection under the law? And of course there is the establishment clause. It would appear that you are stating an opinion and presenting it as fact without any basis. That is an appeal to ignorance fallacy: It is true because I said it's true...just trust me."

Perhaps a case could be made for religious discrimination under state or federal statutes. I noticed also that have not touched the question that I posed about the meaning of the establishment clause and how it was decided that it only pertains to a state religion. .

When those non Christian holidays came, the Jews or Muslims had to vie with each other for time off because we could not let them all off at the same time. It created a lot of stress and acrimony among them, as well as for me.

Is that all that you have? I was hoping for a higher quality discussion in response to my thread. Oh well

People are too politically correct these days. It's better for Good Friday to be national holiday than Columbus Day, which celebrates the slaughter of millions of Native Americans. I'm one Jew who doesn't mind. BTW, do Christians fast on Good Friday like we do on Yom Kippur?

Ive been fasting for weeks since Glen Beck asked us to in support Ted Cruz

Other Religious Holy Days Should Good Friday be a Government Holiday ?

How would Christians react if the situations were reversed — if the holy days of another religion were made into a public holiday while Christians had to take personal or vacation days to observe something like Good Friday? Many minority religions are increasing in size across the country and their influence on American society will also grow. Today they are so small that they have to acquiesce to the demands of Christians that Christianity receive privileged treatment, but that is slowly coming to an end.

One day, some regions of America will have so many Muslims or Hindus that the "secular purpose" argument currently used to defend a Good Friday holiday will require that the government create an official holiday to accommodate the high absences of Muslims or Hindus. If the government doesn't, then arguments that Good Friday holidays have a secular purpose would be revealed as a sham.

and not to others,

That's correct.
What is correct? That they already had equal rights? You can't serious. I have dealt with that nonsense way to many times but it would be off topic here.

That's awful.
How do you know? How about equal protection under the law? And of course there is the establishment clause. It would appear that you are stating an opinion and presenting it as fact without any basis. That is an appeal to ignorance fallacy: It is true because I said it's true...just trust me."

Perhaps a case could be made for religious discrimination under state or federal statutes. I noticed also that have not touched the question that I posed about the meaning of the establishment clause and how it was decided that it only pertains to a state religion. .

Is that all that you have? I was hoping for a higher quality discussion in response to my thread. Oh well

Based on your post, what I had was plenty.

How would Christians react if the situations were reversed — if the holy days of another religion were made into a public holiday while Christians had to take personal or vacation days to observe something like Good Friday? Many minority religions are increasing in size across the country and their influence on American society will also grow. Today they are so small that they have to acquiesce to the demands of Christians that Christianity receive privileged treatment, but that is slowly coming to an end.

One day, some regions of America will have so many Muslims or Hindus that the "secular purpose" argument currently used to defend a Good Friday holiday will require that the government create an official holiday to accommodate the high absences of Muslims or Hindus. If the government doesn't, then arguments that Good Friday holidays have a secular purpose would be revealed as a sham.

Would we hear your whining on both coasts?

I bet we would hear the Christian right wing nuts from coast to coast.

The states are free to declare holidays on any day they choose, religious or non-religious. My state has Nevada Day at the end of October.

The Supreme Court has upheld "Blue Laws" (restricting certain activities and commerce on Sunday) for the purposes of encouraging a day of universal rest.

Sunday Closing Cases and Laws

I bet we would hear the Christian right wing nuts from coast to coast.

The sham is making you whine now, why would anyone else be whining?

Forum List

Back