Should A Christian Have The Gumption To Question Anything In The Bible?

Campbell

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
I mean there are hundreds of verses which really cause my eyebrows to rise and my lips to tighten. These are a few which really require a lot of faith:

John 2
9When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom, 10and said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now."
(Anyone who is familiar with winemaking knows the chemical processes and aging which are required to produce decent wine much less fine wine.)

Matthew 14:
20and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. 21There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.

(C'mon now....12 baskets of leftovers from two fish and five loaves?)

Matthew 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
(Try this one at your gathering next Sunday)

I read the bible and the book of Mormon while I was still in high school. By the time I was thirty years old I had most of the new testament memorized, chapter and verse. I was baptized before a congregation of nearly 1000 on a March morning in 1957 but I never believed these kinds of fables...not for a minute! Methinks most people who say they do are stretching the truth a little. You know....like the folks who wrote the stuff.

Last edited:
When you memorized the New Testament maybe you didn't really think about what you were reading. Not surprising, as you said you don't believe. Then you dis the "folks who wrote the stuff".

Jesus is God. When he walked the earth and turned water into wine and multiplied the loaves and fish, he was human and Divine. He performed miracles.

Thanks for the Sunday troll.

When you memorized the New Testament maybe you didn't really think about what you were reading. Not surprising, as you said you don't believe. Then you dis the "folks who wrote the stuff".

Jesus is God. When he walked the earth and turned water into wine and multiplied the loaves and fish, he was human and Divine. He performed miracles.

listen-up-folks-if-you-want-some-fish-and-bread-youre-going-to-have-to-piss-in-a-cup-first-what-would-jesus-do-1437017501.jpg

So you say...have you proved your faith by handling any copperheads or water moccasins lately? What about healing? Have you cured cancer for any of your family, friends or neighbors?

Matthew 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

So you say...have you proved your faith by handling any copperheads or water moccasins lately? What about healing? Have you cured cancer for any of your family, friends or neighbors?

Matthew 16:
Obviously, you haven't read the Book. I don't have to prove my faith or anything else to you. Troll on. Bye now.

Matthew 16:
Obviously, you haven't read the Book. I don't have to prove my faith or anything else to you. Troll on. Bye now.

If you could, you would but since you can't you won't.

Matthew 16:

If you could, you would but since you can't you won't.
Oh. Another troll. Nice to meet you.

I mean there are hundreds of verses which really cause my eyebrows to rise and my lips to tighten. These are a few which really require a lot of faith:

John 2
9When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom, 10and said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now."
(Anyone who is familiar with winemaking knows the chemical processes and aging which are required to produce decent wine much less fine wine.)

Matthew 14:
20and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. 21There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.

Matthew 16:

I read the bible and the book of Mormon while I was still in high school. By the time I was thirty years old I had most of the new testament memorized, chapter and verse. I was baptized before a congregation of nearly 1000 on a March morning in 1957 but I never believed these kinds of fables...not for a minute! Methinks most people who say they do are stretching the truth a little. You know....like the folks who wrote the stuff.

---
"Should A Christian Have The Gumption To Question Anything In The Bible?"

A "Christian" [sic] is one who follows the alleged ethical teachings of Jesus.
The Bible embellishes those teachings.
Therefore, a real Jesus disciple should IGNORE the OT and ignore all the BS supernatural folklore added to make Jesus a bigger hero (Messiah, God) than he was.

Check out the The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (aka Jefferson Bible).

Last edited:

John 2

Matthew 14:

Matthew 16:

---
"Should A Christian Have The Gumption To Question Anything In The Bible?"

A "Christian" is one who follows the alleged ethical teachings of Jesus.
The Bible embellishes those teachings.
Therefore, a real Christian should IGNORE the OT and ignore all the BS supernatural folklore added to make Jesus a bigger hero (Messiah, God) than he was.

Check out the The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (aka Jefferson Bible).

Thomas Jefferson is a hero of mine. I might also mention Dr. Albert Einstein:

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
~Thomas Jefferson~ April 1823...(excerpt from a letter to John Adams)

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism"
~Dr. Albert Einstein~ April 1955 (published in his obituary)

Last edited:
A talking snake?

C'mon, at least make it somewhat credible. Maybe a talking chimp or even a talking dog. But a snake of all animals.

Geez, did they really think we were that stupid as to believe that?

A talking snake?

C'mon, at least make it somewhat credible. Maybe a talking chimp or even a talking dog. But a snake of all animals.

Geez, did they really think we were that stupid as to believe that?

A couple of essentials are that you believe the universe was created between 5,000 and 6,000 years ago and it took six days to do it. That automatically assumes that a pair of dinosaurs were on Noah's home made boat for weeks.

I might mention taking a male rib and creating a female. Personally I would have figured they were created from the best section of the brain because my wife always knows more than I do.

Matthew 16:

That's not Matthew, you idiot, it's Mark and it's a section of Mark that was added centuries later by an unknown author, presumably to give it a better ending because the earliest manuscripts of Mark that we have end very abruptly. Our earliest manuscripts end Mark at 16:8 where it reads "8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid." and that's it....it ends. It is not until centuries later that verses 9-19 begin to show up.

For a guy who claims to have memorized the New Testament chapter and verse I guess you didn't memorize that one nor did you spend much time learning about it.

Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet and then turn and tear you to pieces.

- Matthew 7:6

Matthew 16:

That's not Matthew, you idiot, it's Mark and it's a section of Mark that was added centuries later by an unknown author, presumably to give it a better ending because the earliest manuscripts of Mark that we have end very abruptly. Our earliest manuscripts end Mark at 16:8 where it reads "8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid." and that's it....it ends. It is not until centuries later that verses 9-19 begin to show up.

For a guy who claims to have memorized the New Testament chapter and verse I guess you didn't memorize that one nor did you spend much time learning about it.

I'm 81 years old. I was baptized in a Baptist church in 1957. I memorized the new testament chapter and verse while I was in my twenties. Forgive me for misquoting Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

Speaking of that....did you know that many Muslims memorize the entire Quran? The Quran is perhaps the only book, religious or secular, that has been memorized completely by millions of people.

Last edited:

John 2

Methinks most people who say they do are stretching the truth a little. You know....like the folks who wrote the stuff.

Or, the the New Testaments authors were making a point that flies right over the heads of English speaking people of today. It is my understanding that some non-Catholic denominations actually use this story to "show" Catholics that Mary was never meant to be honored.

It bothers you that aging is required to produce a fine wine. But did you know that new wine (and an abundance of it for everyone) was to be the sign of the Messianic age? Did you note how the beginning chapters of John's gospel parallels the story of creation, with Jesus being introduced as the New Adam; Mary as the woman (or Eve)?

Did you pick up on the story behind the story?

Matthew 16:

I'm 81 years old. I was baptized in a Baptist church in 1957. I memorized the new testament chapter and verse while I was in my twenties. Forgive me for misquoting Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

Well again...if you are going to pop off you might want to be accurate in your statements otherwise you end up looking like an ass.

John 2

Methinks most people who say they do are stretching the truth a little. You know....like the folks who wrote the stuff.

Or, the the New Testaments authors were making a point that flies right over the heads of English speaking people of today. It is my understanding that some non-Catholic denominations actually use this story to "show" Catholics that Mary was never meant to be honored.

It bothers you that aging is required to produce a fine wine. But did you know that new wine (and an abundance of it for everyone) was to be the sign of the Messianic age? Did you note how the beginning chapters of John's gospel parallels the story of creation, with Jesus being introduced as the New Adam; Mary as the woman (or Eve)?

Did you pick up on the story behind the story?
I've picked up on one thing. You're as full of shit as a Christmas turkey!

Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet and then turn and tear you to pieces.

- Matthew 7:6

---
Historical accuracy is sacred, not folklore and embellishment.

John 2

Matthew 14:

Matthew 16:

In Judaism the groom comes to his Bride at Night, the celebration is at Night.
Jesus was the forbidden first groom who came in the Morning-rev 22:16=Lucifer.

You can serve many with few loafs of bread and a little fish, it's called Gefilte Fish *L*
By mixing a little bread (Shev) and a little Fish (Dagon) they truly feed many the mixture of knowledge both good and evil.

Forum List

Back