The Repobate Mind

the_human_being

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2014
If God has given them over to their reprobate minds, why then do we followers of Christ continue to try to save them? Let us examine the Scriptures themselves:

Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Haters of God? Is this not speaking of atheists and agnostics?

Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

The above Scriptures at least to me says God has given up on them. My question is: Why then do we Christians continue trying to convert their reprobate minds? It says they once had God in their knowledge.

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Clearly the above Scripture is speaking of the gays and lesbians. It states plainly that God has given them over also. Why try to change them if God Himself has given them over to their own lusts?

Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

There is no excuse for any. God is revealed through the creation by the things that were MADE.

Act 14:17 Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness. Act 14:16 Who in times past suffered all nations to walk in their own ways. Act 14:15 And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein:

Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; Act 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; Act 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

They know. They have a conscience that tells them.

When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Mark 2:17

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
And of some have compassion, making a difference:
And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Jude 1:17-23

Scripture seems to say, IMO, yes, we should attempt to convert some people who are ignorant or have fallen away. With others, however, it seems pretty clear that we are to keep ourselves separate as those individuals have crossed the line and have gone completely too far.

Scripture seems to say, IMO, yes, we should attempt to convert some people who are ignorant or have fallen away. With others, however, it seems pretty clear that we are to keep ourselves separate as those individuals have crossed the line and have gone completely too far.

I agree with you. The ignorant and those who have not heard the gospel, yes. But those that have heard and turned from it willfully, I say even God has given them up to their reprobate mind.

I recall driving to Atlanta with my husband years ago and praying for a woman who was thought to be a descendant of Aliester Crowley. I knew that she was involved in the occult but thought the LORD could still save her. The Lord spoke to my heart and said, Do not pray for her. So I obeyed Him and stopped. There is such a thing as having crossed the line and gone too far. Only God knows what that line is. There are Satanists who have been saved after having committed horrific crimes, having murdered children and drank their blood, ate their flesh, horrific crimes against God and yet Jesus Christ saved them. And there are others who have gone straight to hell and are today in great torment such as Anton Lavey. God has mercy on whom He will have mercy. It is all in God's Hands.

I agree with you. The ignorant and those who have not heard the gospel, yes. But those that have heard and turned from it willfully, I say even God has given them up to their reprobate mind.

I cannot agree with that. Only if the Lord told me not to pray for them would I stop. I know of some people who have been given over to reprobate minds but I still believe God for their salvation and pray for them. I'm not giving up on anyone unless he specifically says - do not pray for that one any more. Otherwise? I'm pressing on.

Sometimes it is bitterness and unforgiveness that holds them in the state of unbelief. Prayer can break through rock hard ground while sometimes the Word spoken alone won't. It takes both.

I've seen people who have heard the gospel at some point, but then willingly turned away, eventually make it back and truly accept Christ and be redeemed. I think not all is lost if they are still trying to live a moral life for the most part. They are simply being disobedient. It seems to me, that there is a point in the level of depravity reached when God determines they are a hopeless case, adopting these things you pointed out in the scripture you listed.

I cannot agree with that. Only if the Lord told me not to pray for them would I stop. I know of some people who have been given over to reprobate minds but I still believe God for their salvation and pray for them. I'm not giving up on anyone unless he specifically says - do not pray for that one any more. Otherwise? I'm pressing on.

Sometimes it is bitterness and unforgiveness that holds them in the state of unbelief. Prayer can break through rock hard ground while sometimes the Word spoken alone won't. It takes both.

Absolutely, we should keep praying for the lost, praying for family, but most importantly we should listen to His voice. When we listen to His voice and are obedient to that He will bless it. Read the following post and perhaps it will better explain.

I've seen people who have heard the gospel at some point, but then willingly turned away, eventually make it back and truly accept Christ and be redeemed. I think not all is lost if they are still trying to live a moral life for the most part. They are simply being disobedient. It seems to me, that there is a point in the level of depravity reached when God determines they are a hopeless case, adopting these things you pointed out in the scripture you listed.

I have seen many back sliders return to the LORD! It is a wonderful thing to see! I believe when persecution finally hits hard in the USA we will see people stand firm in their faith we perhaps did not expect to and we will also see those who profess to be strong now - fall in that hour - when they have to decide between Jesus Christ and their own life.

It reminds me of a true story I heard once concerning some Russian soldiers and Christians. They arrested approximately 8 - 10 Christians and marched them out onto a frozen lake in the dead of winter ordering them to strip naked and lay on the ice.

After an hour or two (I'm going by memory so this may not be 100% accurate in how many persons or how time of long, etc) a Christian Pastor came in off the ice, he denied Christ to the soldiers and went home. Then another Christian came in from the ice and denied Christ and went home. Then two of the Russian soldiers said, we'll take their place. They stripped down naked, walked out on to the ice and layed down until the froze to death and died with the other Christians who stayed out there.

Forum List

Back