Should A Christian Have The Gumption To Question Anything In The Bible?

Matthew 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That's not Matthew, you idiot, it's Mark and it's a section of Mark that was added centuries later by an unknown author, presumably to give it a better ending because the earliest manuscripts of Mark that we have end very abruptly. Our earliest manuscripts end Mark at 16:8 where it reads "8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid." and that's it....it ends. It is not until centuries later that verses 9-19 begin to show up.

For a guy who claims to have memorized the New Testament chapter and verse I guess you didn't memorize that one nor did you spend much time learning about it.

I'm 81 years old. I was baptized in a Baptist church in 1957. I memorized the new testament chapter and verse while I was in my twenties. Forgive me for misquoting Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

Speaking of that....did you know that many Muslims memorize the entire Quran? The Quran is perhaps the only book, religious or secular, that has been memorized completely by millions of people.

I would doubt that.

The underground Christian church in China, routinely had to memorize their Bibles because the authorities would confiscate and destroy them. Things are more liberal now, but at the time, people would memorize every thing they could before the authorities found their Bibles.

So no doubt, the Qur'an is well memorized, I doubt it's more than those who memorize Christian text.

It seems like that because in our worthless western culture, tons of fake people claim to be 'christian', and yet likely have never even carried a bible to church, let alone, memorized portions of it.

But that's not true throughout the rest of the world.

You're being very naïve. Most people who claim to be Christians can not remember or quote more than three verses from the bible. Shucks...Don Trump couldn't come up with one.

gee----you want it memorized? isn't it enough to know the gist of the book?
I read "DAVID COPPERFIELD" 1000 times-------but I did not memorize it.
You want me to do poetry? I can do lots of THE RAVEN by Edgar ALLEN Poe-------would the Gettysburg Address impress you?

I know "The Lord's Prayer"-------when I was a kid we recited it in public school
every morning ----------give me a gold star.

You're being very naïve. Most people who claim to be Christians can not remember or quote more than three verses from the bible. Shucks...Don Trump couldn't come up with one.

Many of us can't quote our favorite recipe, a passage from our favorite novel, movie, poem, or TV show either. Bet we could all relate in our own words a great many of the stories and passages, just as we can relate the main ingredients in a favorite recipe.

Many of us can't quote our favorite recipe, a passage from our favorite novel, movie, poem, or TV show either. Bet we could all relate in our own words a great many of the stories and passages, just as we can relate the main ingredients in a favorite recipe.

I can do the PREAMBLE TO THE CONSTITUTION------we the people of the united states----in order to form a more perfect union (????) oh shit ----I forgot.
how about ANNABELLEE ----"twas many and many a year ago----.......
oh shit----I forgot. -----something about living by the sea---"that a maiden and I .....never mind-----I have to review.

genesis------B'reshit borah Elohim et ha shamayim v' et ha aretz ----in the beginning "G-d" created the heaven and the earth

Patrick henry------men cry peace, peace---but there is no peace (that one fell out of my head too.............

oh!!! its coming back to me
T'was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea---
that a maiden and I ----did live (??) ----sheeeeesh------by the name
of ANNABELLEE ....... we loved with a love that was more than love.....
in our kingdom by the sea........ the angels coveted her and me.......
and that was the reason ------a WIND BLEW OUT OF A CLOUD----chilling
my annabellee----chilling and killing-------etc etc

I can do the PREAMBLE TO THE CONSTITUTION------we the people of the united states----in order to form a more perfect union (????) oh shit ----I forgot.
how about ANNABELLEE ----"twas many and many a year ago----.......
oh shit----I forgot. -----something about living by the sea---"that a maiden and I .....never mind-----I have to review.

genesis------B'reshit borah Elohim et ha shamayim v' et ha aretz ----in the beginning "G-d" created the heaven and the earth

Patrick henry------men cry peace, peace---but there is no peace (that one fell out of my head too.............

Grin. How about, Give me liberty or give me death! (There may have been more to that Patrick Henry speech, but who remembers.) I also remember, Four score and seven years ago...(and I remember that speech was written on a train and is known as the Gettysburg Address given to encourage people after the slaughter at the Civil War battle of Gettysburg.

And, "What is a hobbit?" .... One ring to rule them all; one ring to find them; one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. ..... Not all those who wander are lost.

If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. .... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Is your mama a llama I asked my friend Dave. No, she is not, is the answer Dave gave. She hangs by her feet and she lives in a cave. Oh, I said, you are right about that! I think your mama must be a _____. (See how quickly memory gives out!)

As far as the Bible goes, this passage is in both Testaments: Love the Lord your God with your whole heart, your whole mind, and your whole soul. Love your fellow man as yourself. If that's all people take away from the Bible, that is enough.

Matthew 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That's not Matthew, you idiot, it's Mark and it's a section of Mark that was added centuries later by an unknown author, presumably to give it a better ending because the earliest manuscripts of Mark that we have end very abruptly. Our earliest manuscripts end Mark at 16:8 where it reads "8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid." and that's it....it ends. It is not until centuries later that verses 9-19 begin to show up.

For a guy who claims to have memorized the New Testament chapter and verse I guess you didn't memorize that one nor did you spend much time learning about it.

I'm 81 years old. I was baptized in a Baptist church in 1957. I memorized the new testament chapter and verse while I was in my twenties. Forgive me for misquoting Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

Speaking of that....did you know that many Muslims memorize the entire Quran? The Quran is perhaps the only book, religious or secular, that has been memorized completely by millions of people.

I would doubt that.

The underground Christian church in China, routinely had to memorize their Bibles because the authorities would confiscate and destroy them. Things are more liberal now, but at the time, people would memorize every thing they could before the authorities found their Bibles.

So no doubt, the Qur'an is well memorized, I doubt it's more than those who memorize Christian text.

It seems like that because in our worthless western culture, tons of fake people claim to be 'christian', and yet likely have never even carried a bible to church, let alone, memorized portions of it.

'who claim'.... I agree. Claiming to be Christian, and actually being one, is not the same thing.

I've met some Muslims that eat pork, and can't recite a single verse from the Qur'an.

Same thing. What you claim to be, doesn't matter much. It's what you actually are, that matters.

Your church that you claim to have grown up in, should have taught you that.

Matthew 16:

I would doubt that.

You want me to do poetry? I can do lots of THE RAVEN by Edgar ALLEN Poe-------would the Gettysburg Address impress you?

I know "The Lord's Prayer"-------when I was a kid we recited it in public school

David Copperfield?? is there a plan in there which guarantees the saving of your eternal soul??

I memorized most of that horse shit before I was 30 years old and I'm a non believer

Constantine decided which books would be a part of the bible and which ones would not. Pulled off that little deal about 350AD. He also set the dates for Christmas and Easter and conveniently picked two pagan holidays which were already being celebrated. Very efficient don't you think?

No, it wasn't Constantine who decided the books of the Bible. Nor did he set the dates for Christmas and Easter. Those had been set much earlier than Constantine, were not based on pagan holidays, but on Jewish ones. Yup, verifiable, if one studies the history of Christian celebrations, not the history of pagan celebration--and then imagines Christian holidays must have deliberately used the same dates. :) Psst: I'm a huge fan of both Roman/Greek mythology and have also done the research on Christian holidays. I know of which I speak--from either/all perspectives.

>>The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336AD, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine (he was the first Christian Roman Emperor). A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.<<

It was mithras birthday.

>>The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336AD, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine (he was the first Christian Roman Emperor). A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.<< It was mithras birthday.

You are overlooking Christ's birth being celebrated in North Africa prior to 336 A.D. Remember, in the early years of Christianity, birthdays were not a common celebration, and the celebration of Christ's birth came much later than the commemoration of Christ's conception and death. It was believed that Christ died on the same day that he was conceived. The West calculated this date to be March 25; the calculation in the East was April 6. Notes of these celebrations date back much earlier than the mid fourth century--200 A.D. and before.

Since Jesus' conception was already being celebrated on March 25/April 6, nine months later would be...December 25/January 6. Those communities that elected to celebrate birthdays (such as North Africa) had figured this out prior to the official announcement.

Note the January 6 date was commemorated more for the arrival of the Magi and also was known as the same day Jesus' baptism would occur. In the early Church, it wasn't Christ's day of birth that was momentous, but the day he was revealed to the three magi, and the day of his baptism.

Since it was becoming more and more the custom to celebrate birthdays, and people wanted to celebrate the birth of Christ, considering the celebrations already in place from the previous two centuries of Jesus' death and conception, the only logical dates were December 25/January 6.

What may be of further interest is that Mithras birthday was not set as December 25, until well after 274 when Emperor Aurelian decided to celebrate the birth of the son. Since followers of Mithras associated Mithras with the sun, they adopted December 25, the celebration of Sol Invictus. No one can find any evidence that Aurelian had the Mithraic cult in mind when he set this holiday. The evidence is for the Mitraic cult setting the day celebrating Sol Invictus as Mithras birthday well after 274.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I love both Christianity and mythology. I want people to correctly understand the origins of both.

I mean there are hundreds of verses which really cause my eyebrows to rise and my lips to tighten. These are a few which really require a lot of faith:

John 2
9When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom, 10and said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now."
(Anyone who is familiar with winemaking knows the chemical processes and aging which are required to produce decent wine much less fine wine.)

Matthew 14:
20and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. 21There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.

(C'mon now....12 baskets of leftovers from two fish and five loaves?)

Matthew 16:

(Try this one at your gathering next Sunday)

I read the bible and the book of Mormon while I was still in high school. By the time I was thirty years old I had most of the new testament memorized, chapter and verse. I was baptized before a congregation of nearly 1000 on a March morning in 1957 but I never believed these kinds of fables...not for a minute! Methinks most people who say they do are stretching the truth a little. You know....like the folks who wrote the stuff.

I do not care if you have read the Bible cover to cover 20 times. I dare say the devil has the Bible memorized as well.

Your problem (IMO) is you have a goal that cannot be altered. And that is to look for reasons to try to demonstrate the Bible cannot be truthful because some words, ostensibly or allegedly, are not true in all cases.

You have been hurt by some who identify themselves as Christians, you have found many Christians to be hypocrites, so you draw your own preferred conclusions ---- such as, no God would allow such a thing. Or no God would allow such suffering. Or no God would allow a hell.

At least --- enough for you to keep your pride (which is so important to self, almost more than anything) and say screw y you phonies.

That is my take, and if I am wrong then I am wrong. But as long as you keep your head in the Bible and find those "snake handler" verses that you can trot out as your prize defenses, then you can fool yourself thinking you have found the whole message to be full of B.S. But if you took an honest look at the last 2000 years and realized all of the true goodness Christianity has brought to a lost world, and also looked at all the signs and wonders God has given to creation that cannot be denied to validate His Word, and also learned to understand even the best of Christians are still human and weak and sinners, you just might have a change of ideas.

>>The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336AD, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine (he was the first Christian Roman Emperor). A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.<< It was mithras birthday.

You are overlooking Christ's birth being celebrated in North Africa prior to 336 A.D. Remember, in the early years of Christianity, birthdays were not a common celebration, and the celebration of Christ's birth came much later than the commemoration of Christ's conception and death. It was believed that Christ died on the same day that he was conceived. The West calculated this date to be March 25; the calculation in the East was April 6. Notes of these celebrations date back much earlier than the mid fourth century--200 A.D. and before.

Since Jesus' conception was already being celebrated on March 25/April 6, nine months later would be...December 25/January 6. Those communities that elected to celebrate birthdays (such as North Africa) had figured this out prior to the official announcement.

Note the January 6 date was commemorated more for the arrival of the Magi and also was known as the same day Jesus' baptism would occur. In the early Church, it wasn't Christ's day of birth that was momentous, but the day he was revealed to the three magi, and the day of his baptism.

Since it was becoming more and more the custom to celebrate birthdays, and people wanted to celebrate the birth of Christ, considering the celebrations already in place from the previous two centuries of Jesus' death and conception, the only logical dates were December 25/January 6.

What may be of further interest is that Mithras birthday was not set as December 25, until well after 274 when Emperor Aurelian decided to celebrate the birth of the son. Since followers of Mithras associated Mithras with the sun, they adopted December 25, the celebration of Sol Invictus. No one can find any evidence that Aurelian had the Mithraic cult in mind when he set this holiday. The evidence is for the Mitraic cult setting the day celebrating Sol Invictus as Mithras birthday well after 274.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I love both Christianity and mythology. I want people to correctly understand the origins of both.

Luke did not know jesus at all, forget what he says
Bible tell when Jesus was born, sukkot. Why all the fudging of his birthday?

Birth of the Unconquerable Sun, Mithas, was held on 25 December, two to three days after the solstice when the sun returns.

Sun god vs son of god

Luke did not know jesus at all, forget what he says
Bible tell when Jesus was born, sukkot. Why all the fudging of his birthday?

Yes, based on the story of shepherds watching their flocks in the nativity stories, Sukkot is another popular time of Jesus' birth. This would place Jesus' birth when the sun is in Libra (scales) and Jesus is the most balanced personality I know of. So, I tend to like that. But, as I said earlier, the tradition seemed to be that long before most celebrated birthdays, Jesus died on the same day he was conceived, which was fixed as March 25/April 6. Nine months later happens to fall in December. Shrug.

Birth of the Unconquerable Sun, Mithas, was held on 25 December, two to three days after the solstice when the sun returns.

Sun god vs son of god

As I said earlier, followers of Mithras didn't observe his birthday until well after Aurelian--in 274 A.D.--pronounced December 25 as Sol Invictus, the birthday of the sun. The year 274 was eight hundred years after the birth of Mithras, and Mithras followers then co-opted the date to use as Mithras birthday as well. Meanwhile, some Christian communities were already celebrating Christ's birthday as early as 200.

For this reason some speculate if a birthday celebration was meant to eclipse another, it may have been Aurelian who tried to supplant the Birth of the Son with the Birth of the Sun. But here's the thing: That's just speculation based on what was happening in a few Christian communities. The evidence isn't there for either celebration being a means to copy or supplant the other. Once celebrating birthdays became a custom, the only reliable odds are that some unconnected events would end up having the same birthday. It's kind of like the proverbial math class problem. In a class of thirty-five, odds are two students will end up having the same birthday--and there was never any collusion on the part of their parents. :wink:

Isis, Horus, and the Holy Day of December 25th

Was Krishna Born on December 25th?

Twelve Days of Dionysos - www.HellenicGods.org

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_sel.htm

>>Many ancient civilizations have a Sun God who is born on December 25th. Egypt had Osiris, there was Perseus and many others. Their stories all reflect each other. Born to a virgin, sacrificed for the good of the land. The winter solstic, December 21st, is the shortest day, the 22-24 within the celtic religion being the nameless days...times of introspection and meditation awaiting the rebirth of the Sun on December 25th when the days once again begin to grow longer.<<

I would doubt that.

David Copperfield?? is there a plan in there which guarantees the saving of your eternal soul??

I memorized most of that horse shit before I was 30 years old and I'm a non believer

you missed the whole point of the book------Pegotty is the VIRGIN QUEEN OF HEAVEN

I mean there are hundreds of verses which really cause my eyebrows to rise and my lips to tighten. These are a few which really require a lot of faith:

John 2
9When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom, 10and said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now."
(Anyone who is familiar with winemaking knows the chemical processes and aging which are required to produce decent wine much less fine wine.)

Matthew 14:
20and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. 21There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.

(C'mon now....12 baskets of leftovers from two fish and five loaves?)

Matthew 16:

(Try this one at your gathering next Sunday)

I read the bible and the book of Mormon while I was still in high school. By the time I was thirty years old I had most of the new testament memorized, chapter and verse. I was baptized before a congregation of nearly 1000 on a March morning in 1957 but I never believed these kinds of fables...not for a minute! Methinks most people who say they do are stretching the truth a little. You know....like the folks who wrote the stuff.

Never stop questioning, trying to understanding, prove or disprove to yourself and questioning more.

It is not about memorizing, it is about understanding and applying the best of the faith into your life.

If you doubt, perhaps there is a good reason. It is not the letter of the bible but how do the teaching apply to life today. Are you hung up on curtain teaching yet find yourself hating or misusing other teachings? Do you hate and abuse others because of a presumption of sin rather than weigh the good and the bad and still find love n that person? Were you slighted or wronged, or were you told to hate by your church and fellow member?

Everything in life should be questioned. There is always room for more knowledge and understanding. Not just in faith but in every aspect of life. Religion should not be a rejection of reason and common sense.

Wronged me?? Where I come from we WRONG each other.
Don't worry about me, I've been retired here in a nice lake house for the last 22 years....ever since I retired. We've traveled the country from coast to coast and border to border.....Las Vegas and the Gulf coast dozens of times. We've been to Canada and the Hawaiian Islands. I have eight grandchildren. Two of them are married and I have two great grandchildren. My oldest daughter is in Korea with the two great granddaughters. Her husband is a helicopter pilot and flies a Chinook along the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.

I spend a lot of time reading, operating amateur radio, playing piano and fishing. Being right here on the lake with a boat docked less than 200 ft. from my back door makes activities on the water handy. Only problem.....I've messed around and gotten old.

About the religion....I've got one helluva lot more sense than to worship an ancient god. I repeat.....put me in the court with Einstein and Tom Jefferson:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature."
~Dr. Albert Einstein~ (published in his obituary)

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
~Thomas Jefferson~ (excerpt from a letter to John Adams, April 1823)

Why do you insist on posting the exact same quote by Einstein over and over and over on every thread? Einstein was not a theologian, nor was he an atheist. He simply did not believe in God in the same way that most people do...as a personal God that exists as a separate entity and has individual communion with individual people. His views were so often misunderstood and twisted that he was quoted as follows:

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." (Clark, Ronald W. (1971). Einstein: The Life and Times. New York: World Publishing Company, p. 425)

Your hero is telling you to shut the fuck up. You should probably listen.

Matthew 16:

Don't feel bad fro getting the Books mixed up. I've studied the Bible for over 60 years and sometimes I make the same type of mistake. I once said Noah instead of Moses even though I am very familiar with the history of both men. However, there is something you need to know about last twelve verses in Mark (mark 16:9-20) and that is they are not accepted as genuine by all Christians.

The NIV contains the following disclaimer immediately after Mark 16:8: “The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.”

The Message Bible states in a footnote: “Note: Mark 16:9-20 is contained only in later manuscripts.”

The New Century Versions says immediately after verse 8 : “Verses 9-20 are not included in some of the earliest surviving Greek copies of Mark.”

The Amplified Bible contains the following footnote: “Some of the earliest manuscripts do not contain verses 9-20.”

The Living Translation Bible has the following footnote: “The most reliable early manuscripts of the Gospel of Mark end at verse 8. Other manuscripts include various endings to the Gospel. A few include both the “shorter ending” and the “longer ending.” The majority of manuscripts include the “longer ending” immediately after verse 8.”

The NKJV states in a footnote: “Verses 9-20 are bracketed in NU-Text as not original. They are lacking in Codex Sanaiticus and Codex Vaticanus although nearly all other manuscripts of Mark contain them.”

(NU-Text These variations from the traditional text generally represent the Alexandrian or Egyptian type of text described previously in "The New Testament Text." They are found in the Critical Text published in the twenty-seventh edition of the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (N) and in the United Bible Societies fourth edition (U), hence the acronym, "NU-Text.")

In summary, the authenticity of the last12 verses in Mark are actually disputed by the Christian community.

NOTE: According to the NIV' footnote at the end of the book of Mark, the chapter should have ended with these words (after omitting verses 9-20): "Then they quickly reported all these instructions to those around Peter. After this, Jesus himself also sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation. Amen."

Constantine decided which books would be a part of the bible and which ones would not. Pulled off that little deal about 350AD. He also set the dates for Christmas and Easter and conveniently picked two pagan holidays which were already being celebrated. Very efficient don't you think?

Constantine didn't decide a fucking thing. He convened councils and told religious leaders to reach a consensus on specific points and went with their conclusions. The earliest list of what should be accepted as what would become the New Testament was written by Athanasius in his Easter letter of 367. That's 30 years after the death of Constantine and when Athanasius wrote his letter it was in response to a query about which books should be used as several books (now considered apocryphal such as The Shepherd of Hermes and the Gospel of Peter) were still in wide use. It would still be decades more before the canon was settled upon for good, ultimately going with what Athanasius wrote.

Had Constantine had anything to do with it the issue would have been settled a minimum of 30 years prior to Athanasius writing the Easter Letter.

You don't know shit.

Matthew 16:

I would doubt that.

Being able to quote the Bible on cue does not make one a Christian. I can recite the "To be or not to be" soliloquy from Hamlet but you won't see me on Broadway any time soon. Similarly I doubt Kenneth Branagh can quote more than a few lines of any given Shakespeare play off the top of his head and he is world renowned as a Shakespearean actor.

Anyone can memorize words. It is finding meaning and application in those words that is the point. To find the proper meaning you must understand the context, the culture, the history, the language, and the translation. You don't seem to be able to recognize any of that. I see you quoted a bunch of verses in another post. Want me to take every single one of them, put them in their textual context, discuss the culture of what it is referring to, discuss the history that led to that culture, discuss what certain words mean in certain languages, and see if those verses still mean what you insist they mean? I bet you don't...TRUST ME....you DON'T.

Just as a singular example you quote 1 Peter 3:1 as an argument that the Bible orders the subjugation of women. That verse IN PART states "Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands...." but you stopped there. Why didn't you include the rest of the verse and the verses after that say "...so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives." And why did you miraculously omit verse 7 that says "7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers"

Sounds to me like the author of 1 Peter is telling BOTH the husband and the wife to be considerate and respectful of each other, doesn't it? Funny how that got lost in your accounting.

Last edited:
Matthew 16:

Don't feel bad fro getting the Books mixed up. I've studied the Bible for over 60 years and sometimes I make the same type of mistake. I once said Noah instead of Moses even though I am very familiar with the history of both men. However, there is something you need to know about last twelve verses in Mark (mark 16:9-20) and that is they are not accepted as genuine by all Christians.

The NIV contains the following disclaimer immediately after Mark 16:8: “The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.”

The Message Bible states in a footnote: “Note: Mark 16:9-20 is contained only in later manuscripts.”

The New Century Versions says immediately after verse 8 : “Verses 9-20 are not included in some of the earliest surviving Greek copies of Mark.”

The Amplified Bible contains the following footnote: “Some of the earliest manuscripts do not contain verses 9-20.”

The Living Translation Bible has the following footnote: “The most reliable early manuscripts of the Gospel of Mark end at verse 8. Other manuscripts include various endings to the Gospel. A few include both the “shorter ending” and the “longer ending.” The majority of manuscripts include the “longer ending” immediately after verse 8.”

The NKJV states in a footnote: “Verses 9-20 are bracketed in NU-Text as not original. They are lacking in Codex Sanaiticus and Codex Vaticanus although nearly all other manuscripts of Mark contain them.”

(NU-Text These variations from the traditional text generally represent the Alexandrian or Egyptian type of text described previously in "The New Testament Text." They are found in the Critical Text published in the twenty-seventh edition of the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (N) and in the United Bible Societies fourth edition (U), hence the acronym, "NU-Text.")

In summary, the authenticity of the last12 verses in Mark are actually disputed by the Christian community.

NOTE: According to the NIV' footnote at the end of the book of Mark, the chapter should have ended with these words (after omitting verses 9-20): "Then they quickly reported all these instructions to those around Peter. After this, Jesus himself also sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation. Amen."

Constantine didn't decide a fucking thing. He convened councils and told religious leaders to reach a consensus on specific points and went with their conclusions. The earliest list of what should be accepted as what would become the New Testament was written by Athanasius in his Easter letter of 367. That's 30 years after the death of Constantine and when Athanasius wrote his letter it was in response to a query about which books should be used as several books (now considered apocryphal such as The Shepherd of Hermes and the Gospel of Peter) were still in wide use. It would still be decades more before the canon was settled upon for good, ultimately going with what Athanasius wrote.

Had Constantine had anything to do with it the issue would have been settled a minimum of 30 years prior to Athanasius writing the Easter Letter.

You don't know shit.

what difference does it make which of the SOCIOPATHIC POLITICALLY motivated persons of the COUNCIL of NICEA decided this or that? The fact is that they
decided based on the POLITICS of the ambitious and sociopathic CONSTANTINE and whatever were their own ambitions. Your statement reminds me of an
interview televised ------of the widow of the son or RICHARD WAGNER-----Frau Hedwig Wagner knew Hitler well-----he was a houseguest ----the kids loved him,
the dogs loved him ---charming man. "oh----the concentration camps---the gassed jews-----well----Richard Wagner always said the jews had TOO much influence in music------but those gas chambers? -----well ---adolf didn't do it------it was
HIMMLER's idea' "" The legal code elaborated by Constantine was justified
by the DEICIDE MYTH and was the basis for both the Inquisition and the
Nuremburg laws--------and----interestingly enough the FILTH OF DHIMMIA. Conatantine----Justified by the bible that was created by the COUNCIL OF NICEA------elaborated the LEGAL SYSTEM that legalized ------the genocide of HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people-----hundreds of millions------really----feel
free to ask questions

Forum List

Back