Shawshank Redemption......the truth, it's a pretty bad movie.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I saw an article at National Review, I didn't read it, just checking in on the Never Trumper site......and their movie reviewer did a piece on The ShawShank Redemption......that it was a great movie...

A good movie...sure, it was well made, pushed all the buttons but is it really a good movie?

Let's take a look.....

The guards and wardens are the bad guys, the violent thugs and criminals are the good guys......

Yeah....seems like real life........

Ever know a prison guard? Ever look at the guys in prison? Ever think about the victims of these guys?

As poor souls who ended up in jail I can sympathize...they were once babies, and children and then they turned into monsters......I feel sad for them and where they ended up.....but lying about what they are, lying about the guards and those who keep them from raping, robbing and murdering is getting old.......

It is THE MOVIE for virtue signalers.

A relative of mine, back in the 90s was taking college courses on Police Science, in order to become a police officer.

They had a guest lecturer.....the Assistant Warden at Joliet Prison. He told the class that when he was in college he was against the death penalty and wrote a long dissertation against the death penalty in his college work. Then, he began to work in the prison system....to work for prison reform.......after several years....he became a strong proponent for the death penalty, his belief.....? Two gurneys, no waiting..........

Yep, I hate watching prison movies because not too many are accurate. Most people take a lot of things for granted that you can't in prison. I've seen movies where the guard drops the keys in front of the convict and then bends down to pick them up. A C/O who does that is asking to get hurt. In movies the female guard always goes into the convicts cell alone. lol. The convicts are always opening and closing doors themselves. lol. Convicts leaving the wood shop are never searched, lol. The child molester always gets killed. lol.

I guess the proponents of the Death penalty don't believe in DNA tests that prove people on Death Row innocent- and, they also want the State to carry out the killing allegedly proven by a DA with political aspirations that only cares about conviction not justice- yeah, that's justice blinded by, not blind to- as for the movie, it's a good movie. It's been said that Art imitates life- life is based on what? Perspective. What is perspective? It's anything viewed through a prism- the prism reflects light, breaks it up for what? Distort.
However, I thought the Mark Wahlburg movie, Shooter, was excellent. Why? I don't look through a prism of self righteousness.

I saw an article at National Review, I didn't read it, just checking in on the Never Trumper site......and their movie reviewer did a piece on The ShawShank Redemption......that it was a great movie...

A good movie...sure, it was well made, pushed all the buttons but is it really a good movie?

Let's take a look.....

The guards and wardens are the bad guys, the violent thugs and criminals are the good guys......

Ever know a prison guard? Ever look at the guys in prison? Ever think about the victims of these guys?

As poor souls who ended up in jail I can sympathize...they were once babies, and children and then they turned into monsters......I feel sad for them and where they ended up.....but lying about what they are, lying about the guards and those who keep them from raping, robbing and murdering is getting old.......
Well, the film DOES have its cliches. But I find it to be an uplifting and excellent film, with some outstanding acting performances. It's probably THE best adaptation of Stephen King's work that I've seen. The Dead Zone (the movie, not the TV series) and The Green Mile come close.

1586031453407.png

Let's take a look.....

It's a great movie and not really about prison.

Shawshank is a great movie and a great book. King's horror works don't usually translate well to film, but his other work has done well. Shawshank isn't a documentary, it's a fictional work, and it's done exceptionally well.

I suppose you think Star wars was about a heroic conservative government fighting a losing battle against leftists?

I must have seen a different film. The one I saw had a few prisoners who became friends and some really nasty bastards like Boggs.

I must have seen a different film. The one I saw had a few prisoners who became friends and some really nasty bastards like Boggs.

And why were those guys prisoners? Cause they just happened to walk into the prison by mistake?

You must not have seen the guard fixing to throw the guy off the roof then.

And why were those guys prisoners? Cause they just happened to walk into the prison by mistake?

For doing bad shit, obviously. I can't remember the specifics of the movie vs. the book, but in the book, at least, Andy was pretty much called the only innocent man in the prison.

Andy was innocent. He was pretty much the focus of the film. Only two of the guards were bad, the Governer and the nasty one.

Forum List

Back