Seven Minimum Wage Facts That Have Democrats Worried

Yes it would. But you're not smart enough to understand it.

Joe and I are BOTH a lot smarter than you or Staph.

So why don't you give it a try? How does a small increase in wages for a very small amount of workers (2.8%) bring about the Armageddon you right wingers claim it will?

Won't you be able to afford fries with your burger if the MacDonald s worker was getting 8 bucks minimum? That is where the minimum wage workers are most concentrated, fast food. Right? And cheap retail stores. Would the cheap Chinese shit you buy at Walmarts cost a little more? Probably not.

It will be ok if poor working people make a little bit more. Really.

Don't flatter yourself.

Who mentioned Armageddon?

Consider a community based pizza parlor selling 100 pies a day for 360 days at $10 each. Total revenue is $360,000. It employs 10 minimum wage workers earning $7 per hour, working 2000 hours a year, making labor costs $140,000. Assume rent, utilities, equipment, depreciation, insurance, supplies, licenses, and food costs come to $170,000 per year, leaving a profit of $50,000 for the owner and his/her family. Raising the minimum wage $1 would raise labor costs by $20,000 (paying more for the same amount of labor) and reduce profit to $30,000. The owner must either move into a smaller house or raise prices, which reduces the demand for pizza, resulting in the loss of a worker. So, the full increase in the wage cost of an increase in the minimum wage comes out of the pockets of customers or the owner’s family, and the one person who loses a job.

Why Raising The Minimum Wage Kills Jobs

Or he can just raise the price of a pizza $0.56 to cover the cost. It still puts more money into the economy by giving employees an extra dollar per hour.

So I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the logic, Staph.

If only 2.8% of workers make the minimum, raising it wouldn't have that much of an effect, would it?

Just don't understand why conservatives hate working people so much.

I know this is hard for a Liberal like you to understand but it's a matter of market forces. It's also a case of government over-regulating the private sector.

It has nothing to do with the percentage of Americans it would affect. It has everything to do with forcing businesses to either cut back their work force - creating more unemployment and dependence upon the government - or going out of business. :mad:

the libs have a game on thanking their buddies for anything and everything on this board...keep an eye on it, it's quite funny

Last edited:

If only 2.8% of workers make the minimum, raising it wouldn't have that much of an effect, would it?

I know this is hard for a Liberal like you to understand but it's a matter of market forces. It's also a case of government over-regulating the private sector.

It has nothing to do with the percentage of Americans it would affect. It has everything to do with forcing businesses to either cut back their work force - creating more unemployment and dependence upon the government - or going out of business. :mad:
What it really is ... is our government protecting the lowest paid income workers from being paid a wage as low as the Chinese allow. Now I understand that Conservatives have no compassion for those folks and would love to see McDonald employees earn $0.25 an hour so they can drive up in their BMW to buy a Big Mac for a dime, but fortunately, Liberals do care.

So why don't you give it a try? How does a small increase in wages for a very small amount of workers (2.8%) bring about the Armageddon you right wingers claim it will?

Won't you be able to afford fries with your burger if the MacDonald s worker was getting 8 bucks minimum? That is where the minimum wage workers are most concentrated, fast food. Right? And cheap retail stores. Would the cheap Chinese shit you buy at Walmarts cost a little more? Probably not.

Don't flatter yourself.

Consider a community based pizza parlor selling 100 pies a day for 360 days at $10 each. Total revenue is $360,000. It employs 10 minimum wage workers earning $7 per hour, working 2000 hours a year, making labor costs $140,000. Assume rent, utilities, equipment, depreciation, insurance, supplies, licenses, and food costs come to $170,000 per year, leaving a profit of $50,000 for the owner and his/her family. Raising the minimum wage $1 would raise labor costs by $20,000 (paying more for the same amount of labor) and reduce profit to $30,000. The owner must either move into a smaller house or raise prices, which reduces the demand for pizza, resulting in the loss of a worker. So, the full increase in the wage cost of an increase in the minimum wage comes out of the pockets of customers or the owner’s family, and the one person who loses a job.

7 employees to make 100 pizzas A DAY?!

Clearly you know jackshit about this business kid.

A pizza shop that slow will have one worker..the owner.

10 dollars? My pizza bill is 20-30 dollars and I don't get that much. I couldn't imagine what the bill is on the coast.

Don't flatter yourself.

10 dollars? My pizza bill is 20-30 dollars and I don't get that much. I couldn't imagine what the bill is on the coast.

$20 -$30 ??

Imagine what you would pay if the owner had to pay his workers an extra 50 cents an hour?

Don't flatter yourself.

FALSE! The fallacy of your argument is that you went straight to computing profit level, WITHOUT INCLUDING THE INCREASE IN SALES$$$$.

Do you think for a minute that if the MW were increased (to a significant degree) that your sales are not going to go up ? It may be possible that YOUR sales may not go up, but for probably about 95% of all businesses, their sales will not only go up, and business income increase, but the increase will, by far, surpass the added labor cost.

In general, with MW increases (if they are large), the only businesses that will not GAIN from a MW increase, will be those whose products are absolutely needed, and consumers will buy with or without the increase, to a similar degree. This usually includes food products (particularly milk for babies), gasoline, and certain medical devices necessary to sustain life. Even in these industries, however, some degree of sales change can occur, with sales going up form A MW increase, and sales dropping if prices were raised (ex. gas-driving less, milk-couple have less kids, medical devices-switching to a cheaper brand)

It's interesting that when a 50% increase in the MW was proposed in the Florida Senate some years ago,the only opposition (well-financed & organized) came from supermarkets (who employ large numbers of MW workers, and sell food products).

Conclusion:

1. For almost all businesses, MW increase is a boost in profits resulting from the increase in sales (bigger the MW increase, bigger the sales increase)

2. Raising prices is not an option. It reduces sales.

3. Cutting workers is not a option. It reduces sales.

4. For those companies (relatively few) that might suffer from a MW increase, they could be given some hardship compensation, (depending on their profit levels)

Last edited:

$20 -$30 ??

Imagine what you would pay if the owner had to pay his workers an extra 50 cents an hour?

Exactly the same. Business owners CANNOT raise prices above their market price. We don't determine our prices. The market does.

FALSE! This false argument is commonly presented by MW increase opponents. It makes no sense. Just like raising prices can't be done (because it reduces sales$$), laying off workers likewise is not possible without reducing profits.

In the case of laying off workers, let's take an example >> My ex-wife owned a boutique in a mall. She had 10 workers all at MW. If the MW went up, and she laid off one worker, guess what happens. Her sales go down, and she winds up making LESS PROFIT than befoer that layoff. It's simple. Why did she have 10 workers in the first place ? Because she was a philanthropist and wanted to give out an extra job ? Because 10 is her lucky number ?

She had 10 workers for only ONE REASON. Because she MADE MORE MONEY with 10 than any other number. So if she went to only 9, she suffers losses. No can do.

All the business owner has to do when the MW goes up is not panic, and enjoy the increase in sales$$ and profits (for almost all businesses), and the sweet sound of the cash register ringing much more often.

What it really is ... is our government protecting the lowest paid income workers from being paid a wage as low as the Chinese allow. Now I understand that Conservatives have no compassion for those folks and would love to see McDonald employees earn $0.25 an hour so they can drive up in their BMW to buy a Big Mac for a dime, but fortunately, Liberals do care.

And that is the legacy of the Republican war on the middle class

Low wages to keep the corporate machine going

You can't have it both ways

You can't scream that a rise in the minimum wage will bring small business to its knees and then dismiss that it is only 2.8% of the workforce

FALSE! This false argument is commonly presented by MW increase opponents. It makes no sense. Just like raising prices can't be done (because it reduces sales$$), laying off workers likewise is not possible without reducing profits.

In the case of laying off workers, let's take an example >> My ex-wife owned a boutique in a mall. She had 10 workers all at MW. If the MW went up, and she laid off one worker, guess what happens. Her sales go down, and she winds up making LESS PROFIT than befoer that layoff. It's simple. Why did she have 10 workers in the first place ? Because she was a philanthropist and wanted to give out an extra job ? Because 10 is her lucky number ?

She had 10 workers for only ONE REASON. Because she MADE MORE MONEY with 10 than any other number. So if she went to only 9, she suffers losses. No can do.

All the business owner has to do when the MW goes up is not panic, and enjoy the increase in sales$$ and profits (for almost all businesses), and the sweet sound of the cash register ringing much more often.

Did you use MATH for that posting...BAD BOY!

Half of all minimum wage workers are 16 to 24 years old.

Its the old "minimum wage is a starter salary"

Minimum wage won't pay those kids college tuition, won't buy a car, won't pay the rent on an apartment

It used to

And the other half of minimum wage workers are 25 and older, possibly with kids to feed, a family to support.

Minimum wage won't pay those kids college tuition, won't buy a car, won't pay the rent on an apartment

It used to

And the other half of minimum wage workers are 25 and older, possibly with kids to feed, a family to support.

And it is the taxpayers who have to make up the difference for substandard wages

It used to

And it is the taxpayers who have to make up the difference for substandard wages

Only cuz bleeding heart liberals like you won't just let them starve if they can't better themselves.

Except you guys sing that song every time there is an increase and the massive layoffs never happen.

In fact, usually, the reverse. The minimum goes up and the economy grows because people have more buying power.

Incidently, I get a little tired about being lectured about "Market FOrces" by the people who brought us the worst recession in 80 years. It's like taking Medical Advice from Jack Kevorkian.

It used to

why should the govt or anybody for that matter pay more cus a person has kids they
cant support

You miss the important point; if minimum wage workers got more they wouldn't know their place. As Eugene Genovese noted "Slaves are expected to not only to work, but to sing"!

Forum List

Back