Seven Minimum Wage Facts That Have Democrats Worried

Yes it would. But you're not smart enough to understand it.

Joe and I are BOTH a lot smarter than you or Staph.

So why don't you give it a try? How does a small increase in wages for a very small amount of workers (2.8%) bring about the Armageddon you right wingers claim it will?

Won't you be able to afford fries with your burger if the MacDonald s worker was getting 8 bucks minimum? That is where the minimum wage workers are most concentrated, fast food. Right? And cheap retail stores. Would the cheap Chinese shit you buy at Walmarts cost a little more? Probably not.

It will be ok if poor working people make a little bit more. Really.

Don't flatter yourself.

Who mentioned Armageddon?

Consider a community based pizza parlor selling 100 pies a day for 360 days at $10 each. Total revenue is $360,000. It employs 10 minimum wage workers earning $7 per hour, working 2000 hours a year, making labor costs $140,000. Assume rent, utilities, equipment, depreciation, insurance, supplies, licenses, and food costs come to $170,000 per year, leaving a profit of $50,000 for the owner and his/her family. Raising the minimum wage $1 would raise labor costs by $20,000 (paying more for the same amount of labor) and reduce profit to $30,000. The owner must either move into a smaller house or raise prices, which reduces the demand for pizza, resulting in the loss of a worker. So, the full increase in the wage cost of an increase in the minimum wage comes out of the pockets of customers or the owner’s family, and the one person who loses a job.

Why Raising The Minimum Wage Kills Jobs

A whole lot of assumptions in that assertation.

First, if you are running a pizza Place and you are only selling 100 pies a day, you are probably doing it wrong. Here's a hint, most Pizza Places don't just sell pizzas. And if you need to employ 10 people to only make 100 pizzas a day, then that's only 10 pizzas per employee a day.

That's a pretty high level of incompetence for a Pizza place.

So I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the logic, Staph.

If only 2.8% of workers make the minimum, raising it wouldn't have that much of an effect, would it?

Just don't understand why conservatives hate working people so much.

Because all conservatives are business owners and labor cuts into their bottom line and takes food out of their children's mouths.

I know lots of conservatives who are unemployed and or dirt poor.
They LOVE being poor.
Stupid bastards!

Half of all minimum wage workers are 16 to 24 years old.

Its the old "minimum wage is a starter salary"

Minimum wage won't pay those kids college tuition, won't buy a car, won't pay the rent on an apartment

It used to

When?????

First year I worked, 1963, I made $2.17 an hour, but worked a lot of overtime. I grossed $6500, and my parents bought a house, a large one on a large lot for $6700. Now tell me that someone making the minimum wage today can buy even a small house, no matter how much overtime they work.

Does consumer spending drive the economy or does sequestering wealth among the very few drive the economy? Could the action of increasing disposable income among the majority of consumers spur economic growth, or should the overall standard of living drop to accommodate wealth growth among the very few?

With Conservative attitudes toward the unemployed (Conservatives blame the unemployed for being unemployed),is it any wonder they would defend keeping the poorest poor?

So I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the logic, Staph.

If only 2.8% of workers make the minimum, raising it wouldn't have that much of an effect, would it?

Just don't understand why conservatives hate working people so much.

Because all conservatives are business owners and labor cuts into their bottom line and takes food out of their children's mouths.

I know lots of conservatives who are unemployed and or dirt poor.
They LOVE being poor.
Stupid bastards!

No, they just think they are going to be successful once the government gets out of their way and stops helping them welfare people.

Does consumer spending drive the economy or does sequestering wealth among the very few drive the economy? Could the action of increasing disposable income among the majority of consumers spur economic growth, or should the overall standard of living drop to accommodate wealth growth among the very few?

With Conservative attitudes toward the unemployed (Conservatives blame the unemployed for being unemployed),is it any wonder they would defend keeping the poorest poor?

You missed the point

The rich EARNED their wealth
The poor are lazy

I just fail to see how people can argue such a thing as minimum wage on a left versus right argument. It would seem that conservatives would want the government shelling out LESS welfare. Moving the minimum wage up to $9-10 an hour moves a lot of people out of poverty. And all the bunk about job losses and price increases is just that bunk. Proven by the fact that not once when the minimum wage has risen have these things came to pass. Not once.

I just fail to see how people can argue such a thing as minimum wage on a left versus right argument. It would seem that conservatives would want the government shelling out LESS welfare. Moving the minimum wage up to $9-10 an hour moves a lot of people out of poverty. And all the bunk about job losses and price increases is just that bunk. Proven by the fact that not once when the minimum wage has risen have these things came to pass. Not once.

So as stated earlier, just raise it to $20 then. No problem, right? There will be no job losses nor inflation because it's all bunk.

So as stated earlier, just raise it to $20 then. No problem, right? There will be no job losses nor inflation because it's all bunk.

Please refrain from silliness. I am discussing REASONABLE increases . Which I fully agree, $15 an hour is unreasonable.

As long as we are talking hyperbole, lets cut it to $1 and watch all the new jobs come rushing in

That's all well and good, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend an extra quarter for a Big Mac.

Please refrain from silliness. I am discussing REASONABLE increases . Which I fully agree, $15 an hour is unreasonable.

:lol: So you honestly believe that doubling the current minimum wage will have zero impact on inflation and employment? Holy shit, you are such a child. Don't even waste my time anymore.

LMAO%20laughing%20my%20ass%20off%20black%20white.jpg

As long as we are talking hyperbole, lets cut it to $1 and watch all the new jobs come rushing in

The number of jobs for unskilled Americans would certainly increase if you did that. Nobody would actually pay $1 an hour anyway because the market wouldn't allow it.

That's all well and good, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend an extra quarter for a Big Mac.

Actually , McD did a survey that said that if the minimum wage were raised to $9.75 an hour people in general would be willing to 65 cents more for a Big Mac.

Like you, I'm not one of those people...

Yes it would. But you're not smart enough to understand it.

So why don't you give it a try? How does a small increase in wages for a very small amount of workers (2.8%) bring about the Armageddon you right wingers claim it will?

Won't you be able to afford fries with your burger if the MacDonald s worker was getting 8 bucks minimum? That is where the minimum wage workers are most concentrated, fast food. Right? And cheap retail stores. Would the cheap Chinese shit you buy at Walmarts cost a little more? Probably not.

Don't flatter yourself.

Consider a community based pizza parlor selling 100 pies a day for 360 days at $10 each. Total revenue is $360,000. It employs 10 minimum wage workers earning $7 per hour, working 2000 hours a year, making labor costs $140,000. Assume rent, utilities, equipment, depreciation, insurance, supplies, licenses, and food costs come to $170,000 per year, leaving a profit of $50,000 for the owner and his/her family. Raising the minimum wage $1 would raise labor costs by $20,000 (paying more for the same amount of labor) and reduce profit to $30,000. The owner must either move into a smaller house or raise prices, which reduces the demand for pizza, resulting in the loss of a worker. So, the full increase in the wage cost of an increase in the minimum wage comes out of the pockets of customers or the owner’s family, and the one person who loses a job.

However since the minimum wage is risen and all pizza chains in the entire area are affected (along with all the taco joints, burger shacks, and soup kitchens), raising the price of the sales unit (pizza) by a small amount ($0.25 for example) will net him and every other business owner $90,000 (360,000 X 0.25) right? So she nets $70,000 out of it ($90,000 in new sales minus $20,000 in new labor costs).

As for lowered demand, if you are willing to pay $10.00 for a pizza, you're actually going to tell me that $10.25 is out of the question? Especially, when you and every other worker got an $1.00 per hour raise?

Actually , McD did a survey that said that if the minimum wage were raised to $9.75 an hour people in general would be willing to 65 cents more for a Big Mac.

Like you, I'm not one of those people...

Had McD put some of their profits over the past few years into their food instead of their investor's pockets it may be worth an extra $0.25. I'm with you guys. Carl's Jr. on the other hand has become McDonald's superior in every way.

Don't flatter yourself.

However since the minimum wage is risen and all pizza chains in the entire area are affected (along with all the taco joints, burger shacks, and soup kitchens), raising the price of the sales unit (pizza) by a small amount ($0.25 for example) will net him and every other business owner $90,000 (360,000 X 0.25) right? So she nets $70,000 out of it ($90,000 in new sales minus $20,000 in new labor costs).

As for lowered demand, if you are willing to pay $10.00 for a pizza, you're actually going to tell me that $10.25 is out of the question? Especially, when you and every other worker got an $1.00 per hour raise?

You people really have tunnel vision. Read the link and educate yourself.

Half of all minimum wage workers are 16 to 24 years old.

Its the old "minimum wage is a starter salary"

Minimum wage won't pay those kids college tuition, won't buy a car, won't pay the rent on an apartment

It used to

It did? When?

Minimum wage is just the tip of the iceberg

The real problem is that there is no job progression for those low wage earners. That $7.50 job may someday grow to a $10 and hour job....still insufficient to raise a family without government assistance

Horse shit. My first job paid minimum wage in high school at a grocery store chain. When I graduated I put in for a department supervisor's position and got it. Then I became an Asst. Manager for the store. Within five years I went from making $5.25 an hour to $27k a year. I also started taking college classes during that time. Eventually, I quit, started waiting tables where I made comparable money and went to business school and got my Associate's Degree. Then I got a job in IT starting at $40k. Over the following several years I went back to school and received both my Bachelor's and MBA using the company's tuition assistance program and today I am bringing in around $90k a year. I am 31 years old. I also did most of this with a child and a wife who was an addict whom I eventually divorced and then ended up raising my son alone, while still in school. Amazing how I found time to continue to improve my life and the only government assistance I received was in the form of student loans to cover what portion my company's tuition assistance program didn't and I am currently paying all that money back with interest.

Any adult making minimum wage, let alone trying to raise a family on it, is fucking useless. Either they made piss poor decisions in their life or simply lack the motivation to do anything more.

Why are conservatives so hateful of people of few means and abilities? They take it personal if someone suggests raising the minimum wage. "Horse shit, bull shit, I worked four jobs blah blah." Some people are not capable of doing much beyond minimum wage jobs. I've seen this, and if you disagree then you haven't been around much. Still, these people sometimes have families with kids. Double their work hours to make up for crappy wages and you neglect the kids. Safety nets like food stamps or section 8? God fearing republicans are always there with their hatchets to chop those programs to nothing.
These people are effin useless you say? what to do, kill them maybe for their own good and to set an example for others to see?

Last edited:

The number of jobs for unskilled Americans would certainly increase if you did that. Nobody would actually pay $1 an hour anyway because the market wouldn't allow it.

If I pay someone $8 an hour to sweep floors and the wage drops to $4, am I going to hire two guys to sweep floors or will I just pocket the extra $4 an hour?

Forum List

Back