Seven Minimum Wage Facts That Have Democrats Worried

Joe and I are BOTH a lot smarter than you or Staph.

So why don't you give it a try? How does a small increase in wages for a very small amount of workers (2.8%) bring about the Armageddon you right wingers claim it will?

Won't you be able to afford fries with your burger if the MacDonald s worker was getting 8 bucks minimum? That is where the minimum wage workers are most concentrated, fast food. Right? And cheap retail stores. Would the cheap Chinese shit you buy at Walmarts cost a little more? Probably not.

It will be ok if poor working people make a little bit more. Really.

Don't flatter yourself.

Who mentioned Armageddon?

Consider a community based pizza parlor selling 100 pies a day for 360 days at $10 each. Total revenue is $360,000. It employs 10 minimum wage workers earning $7 per hour, working 2000 hours a year, making labor costs $140,000. Assume rent, utilities, equipment, depreciation, insurance, supplies, licenses, and food costs come to $170,000 per year, leaving a profit of $50,000 for the owner and his/her family. Raising the minimum wage $1 would raise labor costs by $20,000 (paying more for the same amount of labor) and reduce profit to $30,000. The owner must either move into a smaller house or raise prices, which reduces the demand for pizza, resulting in the loss of a worker. So, the full increase in the wage cost of an increase in the minimum wage comes out of the pockets of customers or the owner’s family, and the one person who loses a job.

Why Raising The Minimum Wage Kills Jobs

Using simpleton math.....

He will have to increase the price of a pie by less than 6 cents to maintain his income.

Yes. I constructed business plans and associated pro forma financial statements for years, and wage increases are a minimal component of price fluctuations.

Do you really want to increase entrepreneurial competitiveness? Install a national health care system.

Don't flatter yourself.

Consider a community based pizza parlor selling 100 pies a day for 360 days at $10 each. Total revenue is $360,000. It employs 10 minimum wage workers earning $7 per hour, working 2000 hours a year, making labor costs $140,000. Assume rent, utilities, equipment, depreciation, insurance, supplies, licenses, and food costs come to $170,000 per year, leaving a profit of $50,000 for the owner and his/her family. Raising the minimum wage $1 would raise labor costs by $20,000 (paying more for the same amount of labor) and reduce profit to $30,000. The owner must either move into a smaller house or raise prices, which reduces the demand for pizza, resulting in the loss of a worker. So, the full increase in the wage cost of an increase in the minimum wage comes out of the pockets of customers or the owner’s family, and the one person who loses a job.

Using simpleton math.....

He will have to increase the price of a pie by less than 6 cents to maintain his income.

Yes. I constructed business plans and associated pro forma financial statements for years, and wage increases are a minimal component of price fluctuations.

Do you really want to increase entrepreneurial competitiveness? Install a national health care system.

I don't think they see the big picture. Lord knows they didn't read the article I posted.

So I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the logic, Staph.

If only 2.8% of workers make the minimum, raising it wouldn't have that much of an effect, would it?

Just don't understand why conservatives hate working people so much.

Because all conservatives are business owners and labor cuts into their bottom line and takes food out of their children's mouths.

If only 2.8% of workers make the minimum, raising it wouldn't have that much of an effect, would it?

Because all conservatives are business owners and labor cuts into their bottom line and takes food out of their children's mouths.

Yet how odd that all the big Wall Street and tech CEOs and hedge fund managers making billions of dollars a year are Democrats and so called liberals.

The whole conservatives big business meme is played out and archaic. What are you like 70 years old?

Minimum wage is just the tip of the iceberg

The real problem is that there is no job progression for those low wage earners. That $7.50 job may someday grow to a $10 and hour job....still insufficient to raise a family without government assistance

But wait, conservatives will be quick to tell that low wage earner to get an education if he wants a piece of the American dream

But college graduates do not have well paying jobs either. Rather than starting up the career ladder, they move back with their parents saddled with educational debt and jobs they can't support themselves on

Yet how odd that all the big Wall Street and tech CEOs and hedge fund managers making billions of dollars a year are Democrats and so called liberals.

The whole conservatives big business meme is played out and archaic. What are you like 70 years old?

Why do you believe such things?

Why do you believe such things?

Because it's the truth. If you want to wallow in your own ignorance that's your prerogative, chump.

The real problem is that there is no job progression for those low wage earners. That $7.50 job may someday grow to a $10 and hour job....still insufficient to raise a family without government assistance

Horse shit. My first job paid minimum wage in high school at a grocery store chain. When I graduated I put in for a department supervisor's position and got it. Then I became an Asst. Manager for the store. Within five years I went from making $5.25 an hour to $27k a year. I also started taking college classes during that time. Eventually, I quit, started waiting tables where I made comparable money and went to business school and got my Associate's Degree. Then I got a job in IT starting at $40k. Over the following several years I went back to school and received both my Bachelor's and MBA using the company's tuition assistance program and today I am bringing in around $90k a year. I am 31 years old. I also did most of this with a child and a wife who was an addict whom I eventually divorced and then ended up raising my son alone, while still in school. Amazing how I found time to continue to improve my life and the only government assistance I received was in the form of student loans to cover what portion my company's tuition assistance program didn't and I am currently paying all that money back with interest.

Any adult making minimum wage, let alone trying to raise a family on it, is fucking useless. Either they made piss poor decisions in their life or simply lack the motivation to do anything more.

Last edited:
Don't flatter yourself.

Wait! Don't you know that profit is evil, and people shouldnt make any money off thier risk, and toil, and sweat?

/sarcasm.

How about this pizza store owner. He has some really good minimum wage workers and in an effort to retain them he decides to pay them another dollar an hour.

He sells 100 pizza's a day. His labor of 10 people times 1 dollar times 5.55 average hours (2000 by 360) worked, his labor increased 55 dollars a day. He raises his pizza from 10 dollars to 10.50 ( a modest increase) and gets 50 dollars more a day covering his increased payroll and not hurting his competitive pricing.

The workers are more happy, more productive and cause an increase in business just by doing a better job for the customer. Who could care less that their 10 dollar pizza went to 10.50. Because they are buying the best damn pizza in town.

The pizza shop starts selling 105 pizza's a day, making up the loss the owner took in payroll by the increase in business.

I know, fantasy island stuff. That why the government gets involved to help low wage workers get more money for their labor.

Cause if they (government) don't do it ain't nobody else will.
where do you get the idea that cus you give a worker a raise he /she wilL be more productive. so walmart workers will be more polite helpfull and the goods you buy will be of a highter standard WHAT ROCK HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING UNDER ?

Horse shit. My first job paid minimum wage in high school at a grocery store chain. When I graduated I put in for a department supervisor's position and got it. Then I became an Asst. Manager for the store. Within five years I went from making $5.25 an hour to $27k a year. I also started taking college classes during that time. Eventually, I quit, started waiting tables where I made comparable money and went to business school and got my Associate's Degree. Then I got a job in IT starting at $40k. Over the following several years I went back to school and received both my Bachelor's and MBA using the company's tuition assistance program and today I am bringing in around $90k a year. I am 31 years old. I also did most of this with a child and a wife who was an addict whom I eventually divorced and then ended up raising my son alone, while still in school. Amazing how I found time to continue to improve my life and the only government assistance I received was in the form of student loans to cover what portion my company's tuition assistance program didn't and I am currently paying all that money back with interest.

Any adult making minimum wage, let alone trying to raise a family on it, is fucking useless. Either they made piss poor decisions in their life or simply lack the motivation to do anything more.

How many of your coworkers did the same?

The issue is not whether individual low wage worker can work his way up but what do we do with millions of low wage workers who cannot earn enough to support a family?

Right now, that is handled by the taxpayer who subsidizes those low wages. The business continues to profit off of substandard wages and the taxpayer makes up the difference

Until we pay seriuous attention to our wage structure, low wage Americans will continue to be a burden on the taxpayer

The issue is not whether individual low wage worker can work his way up but what do we do with millions of low wage workers who cannot earn enough to support a family?

Right now, that is handled by the taxpayer who subsidizes those low wages. The business continues to profit off of substandard wages and the taxpayer makes up the difference

Until we pay seriuous attention to our wage structure, low wage Americans will continue to be a burden on the taxpayer

And how is that my problem exactly? If they can't afford to support a family why do they have one? I'm sick and fucking tired of people engaging in reckless and stupid behavior and then expecting me and everyone else to subsidize their mistakes, not to mention people like you who feel all warm and fuzzy inside bailing their asses out, with other people's money, of course, as opposed to yours.

And how is that my problem exactly? If they can't afford to support a family why do they have one? I'm sick and fucking tired of people engaging in reckless and stupid behavior and then expecting me and everyone else to subsidize their mistakes, not to mention people like you who feel all warm and fuzzy inside bailing their asses out, with other people's money, of course, as opposed to yours.

I think I addressed this matter earlier. Capitalist liberalism has NOTHING to do with compassion--it has EVERYTHING to do with controlling the masses, and preventing revolution. If you want a revolution, end welfare.

Yay!! Another badass nutter who has done so great in this liberal shithole of a country! Congrats! Can we pat you on the back some?

Yes it would. But you're not smart enough to understand it.

Joe and I are BOTH a lot smarter than you or Staph.

So why don't you give it a try? How does a small increase in wages for a very small amount of workers (2.8%) bring about the Armageddon you right wingers claim it will?

Won't you be able to afford fries with your burger if the MacDonald s worker was getting 8 bucks minimum? That is where the minimum wage workers are most concentrated, fast food. Right? And cheap retail stores. Would the cheap Chinese shit you buy at Walmarts cost a little more? Probably not.

It will be ok if poor working people make a little bit more. Really.

Don't flatter yourself.

If a pizza parlor is only selling 100 pizzas a day why do they have 10 full time employees? Makes no sense

And I'm sick and tired of liars who refuse to acknowledge that the minimum wage is currently worth 75% of what it was up until around the mid 90s.

What do you CARE what they spend their wages on? The point is minimum labor should NOT be worth 25% less than it was for the first 60 years the law existed.

The Right demonizes labor unions. The Right dismisses environmental safeguards. The Right opposes a hike in the minimum wage. The Right hates the Affordable Care Act. The Right embraces outsourcing. The Right opposes government mandated Health and Safety regulations.

How does the Right expect to garner votes from working Americans?

The Right has the same problem garnering the Latino vote. But the Right wants to expel, deport and criminalize Latino immigrants.

The Right gets practically no support from the Gay community. And the Right does everything in their power to limit Gay rights.

The Right wants women to have limited access, no access if they really had their way, to family planning.

With all these restrictive and repressive policies, who does the Right expect to vote for them?

Yay!! Another badass nutter who has done so great in this liberal shithole of a country! Congrats! Can we pat you on the back some?

Hey hey what would be your description of an adult with a college education making 9 bucks an hour?

How about the loyal, long term employee making 9.50 an hour.

Not "minimum" wage but still a wage you can't live on.

How about the guy who had a working wife and they were raising a family and the wife lost her job and can't find another one. The husband continues to work his 10 dollar an hour job. And they can't make it on this one income.

You want to tell this man what a worthless piece of shit he is (according to you I guess) because the way they were once able to support their family, changed? Through no fault of theirs.

Point is, when you are making below 10 dollars an hour in today's world, you will barely be able to survive. Condemn the low wage worker if you need to but I know many that are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

What we need to define is minimum survival wages.

It is your problem because you are holding up your own success as a path available to ALL low wage workers...it is not

Why did you have a family?

Forum List

Back