Self-Immolation

My grandfather killed himself after the doctors took out his colon, testicles, and prostate.

He did it because he was sick of hurting and sick of seeing his dignity disapear.

I have always supported his choice to do that.

I admire his strength. I hope by the time I'm there, it will be a legal option, rather than how things currently stand.

setting one's self on fire to prove a point is simply beyond me...

suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

I used to say that, but then I saw my mother waste away over roughly five years, due to Lewy Body Dementia. Not me. No. When I know I'm on the downward slope, I'm climbing into a snowbank and going to sleep.

I used to say that, but then I saw my mother waste away over roughly five years, due to Lewy Body Dementia. Not me. No. When I know I'm on the downward slope, I'm climbing into a snowbank and going to sleep.

Sure---fuck everything up for skiers.

My grandfather killed himself after the doctors took out his colon, testicles, and prostate.

He did it because he was sick of hurting and sick of seeing his dignity disapear.

I admire his strength. I hope by the time I'm there, it will be a legal option, rather than how things currently stand.

There are some things I learned in Buddhism, that I don't agree with. One is, that you should NOT euthanize your pets.

The idea is to let them "purify their karma for being born in the animal realm' by not euthanizing them.

Generally, suicide is grievous non-virtue.

In the case of the Vietnamese monks during the Vietnam War, these were considered self-less acts.

What do you think?
It is neither martyrdom NOR effective. It's a very dumb and painful suicide that really... help me out here... helps what cause again? I've seen the film and when I learned it was done by the monk flambe... I was dumbstruck with how dumb it was.

Oh, and hunger strikes are just as stupid. Let em starve if they want to starve. You want to immolate? Fine. The worst you do is burn down the building you're in, block traffic for a while with your charred corpse and wreck the asphalt where you did it.

About as effective as chicken shit on a pump handle.

There are some things I learned in Buddhism, that I don't agree with. One is, that you should NOT euthanize your pets.

The idea is to let them "purify their karma for being born in the animal realm' by not euthanizing them.

If living hurts them, I am going to do right by them. They depend on me to do so.

Sure---fuck everything up for skiers.

Oh. Har. How witty. God my sides.

I need a moment to compose myself.

Hee.

If living hurts them, I am going to do right by them. They depend on me to do so.

any good Buddhist knows that to live is to suffer.

any good Buddhist knows that to live is to suffer.

Haven't you heard, I quit?

Couldn't agree more, well said. Dying by painlessly going to sleep seems more pure than a slow painful, torture-filled type of death.

In the case of the Vietnamese monks during the Vietnam War, these were considered self-less acts.

What do you think?
It is neither martyrdom NOR effective. It's a very dumb and painful suicide that really... help me out here... helps what cause again? I've seen the film and when I learned it was done by the monk flambe... I was dumbstruck with how dumb it was.

Oh, and hunger strikes are just as stupid. Let em starve if they want to starve. You want to immolate? Fine. The worst you do is burn down the building you're in, block traffic for a while with your charred corpse and wreck the asphalt where you did it.

I saw that self-immolation when I was a teenager, and it had a huge impact on me.

It's beyond ALL sane people. Even more deranged are those who believe that this is a valid and meaningful form of protest.

Couldn't agree more, well said. Dying by painlessly going to sleep seems more pure than a slow painful, torture-filled type of death.

Thank you. Sadly, I am out of rep.

What do you think?

I saw that self-immolation when I was a teenager, and it had a huge impact on me.

It certainly would encourage any sane person to become a Buddhist. Headlines !

What do you think?

Yeah, I saw it too when I was a teen. It would have been more effective if he had been murdered in this manner. But like I said, he did it to himself and left me with the resounding phrase: "What is he, stupid???"

Killing yourself without achievement or even attempt to achieve some accomplishment is not just futile, it's dumb. Sacrificing yourself for the sake of others successfully or not has value. It is noble and/or meaningful because it was FOR something.

To burn yourself in protest is looney. It ranks down there with say... a Bears fan burning himself in protest to his team losing in the NFC championship game. He can't affect the outcome so... he... ummm tries to affect.... what again by killing himself in a horrific manner?

What do you think?

I think that even though life can be very hard and some of us suffer so much, and many think of killing themselves, God doesn't want us to. He has a bigger plan.

There is hope beyond this life, we've got to cling to that; preservere. Alot of times when I'm down, I'll think of those starving in Africa, my goodness, I haven't starved a day in my life. Or think about the Holocaust, even seeing a video on YouTube can bring things into perspective.

Through our trials and suffering we learn alot, and we also grow in compassion for others who suffer also. We may grow a bigger "heart" in other words - that's a good thing.

There's a verse in the Bible that says this:

Ecclesiastes 7:3 Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.

Another example -- when I first read this verse in the Bible, I was so amazed, and it helped me understand this world better also:

Matthew 19:24 - And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Many (not all!) people who are "money-rich" don't have as many "sufferings" as others. It's not as hard in this "world" for them. (Again, not all) Suffering and brokenness can possibily bring us humility, compassion, and hopefully bring us to cry out to God for help, which is what He wants us to do.

Psalm 51:17 - The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Here's a link too:
Why should I not commit suicide?

That's what I think, anyhow but learning as I go.

Forum List

Back