Zone1 Scripture does not interpret itself... It is insufficient to explain this----

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
I was recently reading (re-reading) the story of Moses talking to God about the idolatry of the Israelites. I always laugh at the way God was "dealing with" this problem

He wanted to wipe them out and start all over again with Moses and those who listened to him/them.

So Moses says, words to the effect of "Why should your wrath blaze up against your people?"

Then he goes on to say "The Egyptians will think that you led them out into the desert to die" or something to that effect

So God listens to Moses and relents in his "annihilation scheme"

The part I don't get is: God is listening to a mere human being here... AND doing what he says!

So that's just kind of ODD to me... Yes, I know, Moses was really into God. Jesus quoted Moses.. Moses prophesied about the coming of Christ...

Still...

:dunno:

This is common to the people's interpretation of the bibles. The stories can be accepted by children to be literally true, but can't be accepted by more intelligent adults. Hence we have intelligent Christians like Meriweather who needs to begin on the premise that nothing in the bibles is literally true.
Neither she or ding is going to rewrite the bibles and so we need to question everything in them in order to establtsh the understanding that escapes the literal believers.

And that's what is going to be the cause of thousands of debates.

Ignore it all and hope it goes away? Will that work for inquisitive 8 or 9 year olds?

This is common to the people's interpretation of the bibles. The stories can be accepted by children to be literally true, but can't be accepted by more intelligent adults. Hence we have intelligent Christians like Meriweather who needs to begin on the premise that nothing in the bibles is literally true.
Neither she or ding is going to rewrite the bibles and so we need to question everything in them in order to establtsh the understanding that escapes the literal believers.

Ignore it all and hope it goes away? Will that work for inquisitive 8 or 9 year olds?
Did Meriweather really say, "that nothing in the bibles is literally true?"

Why must you habitually misstate what others say? Were you born dishonest or raised that way?

Did Meriweather really say, "that nothing in the bibles is literally true?"
No, and I didn't suggest that she did. But she didn't say anything is true either and hence the confusion that is always going to exist. And debates over what some hold to be true and others understand as (whatever?)

Have we even been able to establish whether Jonah's big fish story is true yet? How many years is it going to take Christians to come to some conclusion that will be swallowed by at least 2/3rds. of the flock.
Why must you habitually misstate what others say? Were you born dishonest or raised that way?
You were asked to behave appropriately here. Please do so and be a part of the discussion.

Would you like to proclaim one of the improbable bible stories to be literally true? Or even false?

If Meriweather and Ding say nothing in the Bible is literally true

they are heretics

I have seen no evidence of this, however.

This is how libs operate: put words in people's mouths, then dash off, leaving NO evidence to support their bogus comments

Have we even been able to establish whether Jonah's big fish story is true yet? How many years is it going to take Christians to come to some conclusion that will be swallowed by at least 2/3rds. of the flock.

You are incredibly dishonest.

I gave u a true story of a man who survived being swallowed by a whale in the 1860s.

I think Ignore is sounding like a good idea

:mad:

If Meriweather and Ding say nothing in the Bible is literally true

they are heretics

I have seen no evidence of this, however.

This is how libs operate: put words in people's mouths, then dash off, leaving NO evidence to support their bogus comments
I've already said that they haven't said that nothing in the bible is true.
But I'm suggested that they've said very little or nothing about what 'is' true.
Don't be dishonest about it.

You are incredibly dishonest.

I gave u a true story of a man who survived being swallowed by a whale in the 1860s.

I think Ignore is sounding like a good idea

:mad:
I didn't mean to ignore your story, but I certainly didn't want to suggest it was literally believable on all the pertinent facts.

For instance, you can interpret 3 days as not being literal 24 hour earth days.

I didn't mean to ignore your story, but I certainly didn't want to suggest it was literally believable on all the pertinent facts.

If Meri and ding have gone on vacation, I nominate you as being the Christians' spokesman. You seem to be somewhere around middle ground!

You choose not to believe in Jesus

That is your choice. But it seems you can't stand that others make a different decision. And of course YOU are the intelligent one, not them...

That is your choice. But it seems you can't stand that others make a different decision. And of course YOU are the intelligent one, not them...
Well then mr. misery, if you don't care for the heat then get out of the kitchen.

I'm sure the hell not interested in coming down to your level of cheap shots.

I consider Meriweather to be of considerably high intelligence. And I've explained several times how that can be for a literal believer of the bibles.

But don't mess with the question! It's an instance of why we need to leave sleeping dogs lie.
Or, it's a matter of her choosing. Yours too!

I was recently reading (re-reading) the story of Moses talking to God about the idolatry of the Israelites. I always laugh at the way God was "dealing with" this problem

He wanted to wipe them out and start all over again with Moses and those who listened to him/them.

So Moses says, words to the effect of "Why should your wrath blaze up against your people?"

Then he goes on to say "The Egyptians will think that you led them out into the desert to die" or something to that effect

So God listens to Moses and relents in his "annihilation scheme"

The part I don't get is: God is listening to a mere human being here... AND doing what he says!

So that's just kind of ODD to me... Yes, I know, Moses was really into God. Jesus quoted Moses.. Moses prophesied about the coming of Christ...

Still...

:dunno:
Does your earthly father listen to you? God listens to His children too.
God listened to Abraham, concerning Sodom and the other cities, and saved Lot.
God listened to Moses and stopped dropping the Jews on the spot, and instead kept them in the desert until the egregious ones died a natural death.
God listened to Aaron and stopped dropping the Jews on the spot when they contemplated killing Moses.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back