Zone1 Scriptures that say we are judged by our DEEDS

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
There are too many to list here, but for one, there is John 5:25

25Amen, amen, I say unto you, that the hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26For as the Father hath life in himself, so he hath given to the Son also to have life in himself. 27And he hath given him power to do judgment, because he is the Son of man. 28Wonder not at this: for the hour cometh wherein all that are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God. 29And they that have done good things shall come forth unto the resurrection of life: but they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.

Me

Then there is also Mt 25:31-46

Hmmm

It looks to me like maybe BibleHub is trying to pull a fast one here, because my personal Douay Rheims Bible uses not the words "resurrection of judgment" but "resurrection of condemnation"

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like the same thing, exactly.

I think you are right. There are almost no "thought" sins. You can "covet" and you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but otherwise, actions count; you can't control your thoughts.
I'm sorry but I just don't get what you are saying here!

????

The word for that is KARMA, an idea that goes back at least 5,000 years.
whatever.

Truth doesn't change
God doesn't change
human nature, ditto

so what's the point of talking about something that occurred 5000 years ago and really does not even make a new or valid point?

relevance?

25Amen, amen, I say unto you, that the hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26For as the Father hath life in himself, so he hath given to the Son also to have life in himself. 27And he hath given him power to do judgment, because he is the Son of man. 28Wonder not at this: for the hour cometh wherein all that are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God. 29And they that have done good things shall come forth unto the resurrection of life: but they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.

Me

Hmmm

It looks to me like maybe BibleHub is trying to pull a fast one here, because my personal Douay Rheims Bible uses not the words "resurrection of judgment" but "resurrection of condemnation"

So I will again recount the story of the thief on the cross next to Jesus who repented. Jesus said essentially "I say to you that you will be with me today in Paradise". He made it to Heaven without a lifetime of good deeds, correct? Is this not contradictory?

Me

Hmmm

Context.

So I will again recount the story of the thief on the cross next to Jesus who repented. Jesus said essentially "I say to you that you will be with me today in Paradise". He made it to Heaven without a lifetime of good deeds, correct? Is this not contradictory?
Right. Whoda thunk that God would have mercy on this guy?

I mean, really... God won't save you unless u have time to do X number of good deeds?

But I guess u think we Catholics believe such rot.

I wish anti Catholics would actually study Catholicism before commenting on it

Just to point out that the idea did not originate with scripture.
so since the premise is, maybe is...

that everything in scripture has to be totally original

well, if that is not the case, it's OK to reject the Word? Well, that's on you. Me, when I read Scripture, I just know it is true. I guess that's not scientific and all but... I've had decades of experience walking with Jesus... adhering to His commands... etc.. so there's that

I think you are right. There are almost no "thought" sins. You can "covet" and you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but otherwise, actions count; you can't control your thoughts.
You can and must control your thoughts lest they lead to actions. That's the whole point of the 10th commandment. Jesus said that whoever lusts (covets) after a woman has committed adultery already in his heart. So, the stakes have actually been raised, not lowered.

Also, "As a man thinketh, so is he." It is said that your God or religion is what you think about all day long, so guard your thoughts and your actions will follow.

You can and must control your thoughts lest they lead to actions. That's the whole point of the 10th commandment. Jesus said that whoever lusts (covets) after a woman has committed adultery already in his heart. So, the stakes have actually been raised, not lowered.

Also, "As a man thinketh, so is he." It is said that your God or religion is what you think about all day long, so guard your thoughts and your actions will follow.
so what if a person thinks about all kinds of stuff all day long?

which one of those things is his god?

lol

Right. Whoda thunk that God would have mercy on this guy?

I mean, really... God won't save you unless u have time to do X number of good deeds?

But I guess u think we Catholics believe such rot.

I wish anti Catholics would actually study Catholicism before commenting on it
I said nothing about Catholics. Are you being sarcastic? This is the typical response I get from Christians when I ask questions.

I said nothing about Catholics. Are you being sarcastic? This is the typical response I get from Christians when I ask questions.
for one thing, there are numerous things in Scripture that contradict or appear to contradict other things in scripture.

But there are many factors involved in WHY those things appear to contradict when most of the time, you can figure out (if you know the Bible well) that there really is no contradiction. Also, besides knowing the Bible well, you have to also know what those who have studied it over the centuries know.. which means being Catholic (more or less). I mean, it was the CHURCH that was entrusted with studying scripture.. I don't believe the Bible was ever intended to be read by just anyone without a knowledgeable priest around to help them figure out the meaning of obscure sounding psgs

for one thing, there are numerous things in Scripture that contradict or appear to contradict other things in scripture

For believers:
Deeds get judged at your coronation, IN HEAVEN when you die. NOT YOUR SINS. Because you have none. God would not condemn you for sins that Christ was already judged and paid for on your behalf. Your sins were nailed to the cross by Jesus, and God doesn't even remember them.

Jeremiah 31:34 For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”​

Romans 8: 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

Your DEEDS are your good works. Were they done quietly, for Christ's sake, or did you boast about them to feed your ego? The ones you did for Christ's sake will determine how many crowns you receive at your coronation, also called the BEMA judgement.

Not really, Mike. The thief did this:
Romans 10:13-15 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved...
God judges a man's heart, and the thief had a contrite heart, and the realization that Jesus was exactly who He said He was, the Son of God.
contrite ~ feeling or expressing remorse or penitence; affected by guilt.

Last edited:
Not really, Mike. The thief did this:
Romans 10:13-15 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved...
God judges a man's heart, and the thief had a contrite heart, and the realization that Jesus was exactly who He said He was, the Son of God.
contrite ~ feeling or expressing remorse or penitence; affected by guilt.
OK I undestand that, however I still see a disconnect between the thief's lifetime of (assumed) bad deeds and all of that essentially wiped away with a last minute repentance.

for one thing, there are numerous things in Scripture that contradict or appear to contradict other things in scripture.

But there are many factors involved in WHY those things appear to contradict when most of the time, you can figure out (if you know the Bible well) that there really is no contradiction. Also, besides knowing the Bible well, you have to also know what those who have studied it over the centuries know.. which means being Catholic (more or less). I mean, it was the CHURCH that was entrusted with studying scripture.. I don't believe the Bible was ever intended to be read by just anyone without a knowledgeable priest around to help them figure out the meaning of obscure sounding psgs
I don't believe there is anything nuanced or obscure here. A thief with a lifetime of bad deeds gets eternal life in Heaven with a last minute repentance.

OK I undestand that, however I still see a disconnect between the thief's lifetime of (assumed) bad deeds and all of that essentially wiped away with a last minute repentance.
That is where God's mercy and grace come into play.

James 2:13 “Mercy triumphs over judgment.”

God's grace is, favor we do not deserve. The thief didn't deserve it. I don't deserve it. But our heavenly Father forgives us, worthy or not. He is just that awesome.

Here is how Paul explained it. Keep in mind that before he accepted Christ, Paul murdered Christians for a living.

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Christ didn't come to blame us, but to save us.

Last edited:
Jesus ends the parable with the statement, “The last will be first, and the first last” (Matthew 20:16). The most direct interpretation, based on the content of the parable, is that all believers, no matter how long or how hard they work during this lifetime, will receive the same reward: That is eternal life.

Forum List

Back