San Francisco Liberals Outlaw Storing Items in Your Own Garage

Posted on Friday, January 10, 2014 12:54:50 PM by Beowulf9

How far will the government go to infringe on your rights?

In San Francisco, residents aren’t even allowed to store their own belongings in their home.

Residents of the liberal city are banned from using their garage to store any personal property other than a vehicle. Chapter Six of the San Francisco Housing Code states, “Private and public storage garages in apartment houses and hotels shall be used only for storage of automobiles.” Those who violate the law can be slapped with a $500 fine.

(Excerpt) Read more at americanoverlook.com San Francisco Liberals Outlaw Storing Items in Your Own Garage | American Overlook

Where does it stop? To what level of intrusion will Democrats go to govern every level of your personal – and professional life? Will Americans ever wake up to what's happening? Okay, so it only deals with hotels and apartment houses. What comes next?

:mad::mad::mad:

"Where does it stop?"

That is quite the indictment of governmental overreach.

You're probably familiar with the Supreme Court decision in which a farmer was growing wheat for his own use....and the government told him he couldn't.

"Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), was a United States Supreme Court decision that recognized the power of the federal government to regulate economic activity."
A farmer, Roscoe Filburn, was growing wheat for on-farm consumption in Ohio. The U.S. government had established limits on wheat production based on acreage owned by a farmer, in order to drive up wheat prices during the Great Depression, and Filburn was growing more than the limits permitted. Filburn was ordered to destroy[citation needed] his crops and pay a fine, even though he was producing the excess wheat for his own use and had no intention of selling it."
Wickard v. Filburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Where does it stop?"

If they decided we all had to drive Priuses.....

"Where does it stop?"

GARAGES. (§ 603)?San Francisco Decoded

Added by Ord. 399-89, App. 11/6/89; amended by Ord. 161-92, App. 6/4/92; Ord. 350-95, App. 11/3/95; Ord. 256-07, App. 11/6/07]

(a) No automobile or other motor vehicle shall occupy any portion of an apartment house or hotel except in a garage which meets the requirements of the Building Code and other provisions of the Municipal Code.

(b) Use. Private and public storage garages in apartment houses and hotels shall be used only for storage of automobiles.

(c) Separation. See Section 406.1 of the Building Code. When approved, existing separations in existing buildings may be acceptable.

lying about things doesn't help you

That was funny.

Are they talking about private, closed home garages, or are they talking about communal parking in apartment buildings like a breezeway or open-air carports? It makes sense not to let people stack their boxes of useless memorabilia in common apartment parking structures because A) it could potentially be a fire hazard and everyone doesn't need to be tripping over your garbage in a catastrophic emergency, and B) no one wants to look at your dusty piles of useless crap that you never use.

If you have a home with a closed garage, go ahead and keep all of your 4th grade book reports and highschool trophies in there. Hoard all of the meaningless junk that you want in your own private area. Just don't pile it up outside where it's an eyesore and might cause an obstruction during a life-and-death situation.

A San Francisco supervisor wants to repeal the law because it applies to all garages.

Next question.

One way of looking at this. These kinds of stupid laws are created in liberal dominated cities. Liberals in charge think the other liberals can't take care of themselves :lol:

You folks are fucking unbelievable. In a hotel, there are no assigned parking spaces. If some tenant in the motel fill up a couple parking spaces with their junk, you guys like that idea eh.

Block a fire lane, keep another guest from having a place to park. And you all think that great.

Or how about those apartments. Usually enough parking for the tenants and a few extras spaces. Of course you all are all for the idea that you can just store your shit in this unsecured parking area and its all gonna be there when you come for it.

Every city has a building code. And a fire code. And in many cities parking is at a premium.
The code is helping to keep standards that have been accepted in the community.

Maybe a building has parking spaces exposed to a street view. Maybe the community don't want those space filled up with a bunch of boxes, bags or whatever, for the world to drive by and look at.

You want a space to put your junk in? Buy a house with a big garage and load it up. Rent a storage locker. Whatever.

But fucking get a grip on just what it is you think is happening there (San Fran).

you idiot, did you read the link?

they are talking about PRIVATE garages :cuckoo:

The code was written (in 1989), to be applied to common garage space, whether public or private. There's no question that the law is worded slightly weirdly, but it's pretty asinine to think that the law is aimed at private garage units.

I live in an apartment building in San Francisco. There is one common garage in my building, which tenants have the option of renting spaces in, as well as individual garages on the side of the building. All of those individual garages are used for storage by the people who rent them, no one has ever been hassled about it.

You just admitted they want to repeal the law because it applies to all garages, and then call it asinine for saying it applies to all garages. I find myself amused at your ability to simultaneously support and deride a law.

Last edited:

The code was written (in 1989), to be applied to common garage space, whether public or private. There's no question that the law is worded slightly weirdly, but it's pretty asinine to think that the law is aimed at private garage units.

I live in an apartment building in San Francisco. There is one common garage in my building, which tenants have the option of renting spaces in, as well as individual garages on the side of the building. All of those individual garages are used for storage by the people who rent them, no one has ever been hassled about it.

You just admitted they want to repeal the law because it applies to all garages, and then call it asinine for saying ti applies to all garages. I find myself amused at your ability to simultaneously support and deride a law.

I "support" this law?

Where have I said anything close to that?

A lack of hysterical outrage isn't "support".

I "support" this law?

As a SF resident do you feel codification of minutia and irrelevance, the more government approach to everything, has benefited your city ?

You folks are fucking unbelievable. In a hotel, there are no assigned parking spaces. If some tenant in the motel fill up a couple parking spaces with their junk, you guys like that idea eh.

Block a fire lane, keep another guest from having a place to park. And you all think that great.

Or how about those apartments. Usually enough parking for the tenants and a few extras spaces. Of course you all are all for the idea that you can just store your shit in this unsecured parking area and its all gonna be there when you come for it.

Every city has a building code. And a fire code. And in many cities parking is at a premium.
The code is helping to keep standards that have been accepted in the community.

Maybe a building has parking spaces exposed to a street view. Maybe the community don't want those space filled up with a bunch of boxes, bags or whatever, for the world to drive by and look at.

You want a space to put your junk in? Buy a house with a big garage and load it up. Rent a storage locker. Whatever.

But fucking get a grip on just what it is you think is happening there (San Fran).

(b) Use. Private and public storage garages in apartment houses and hotels shall be used only for storage of automobiles.

Hey vox you asshole. You get someone to read it to you and explain it yet?

You can have a "private" parking spot in an apartment building. You are stupid vox.

But the law, as written, applies to private garages on your private property if that property is defined as an apartment. In other words, it was written to apply to rental units with common garages, but applies to condominiums and apartments that are privately owned if the garage is not separate from the property. This is a really big issue in San Francisco because it actually r=prevents people from storing their bicycles in their garage.

I "support" this law?

As a SF resident do you feel codification of minutia and irrelevance, the more government approach to everything, has benefited your city ?

Everywhere in the world has codified ridiculous minutiae into law. It isn't just San Francisco.

You just admitted they want to repeal the law because it applies to all garages, and then call it asinine for saying ti applies to all garages. I find myself amused at your ability to simultaneously support and deride a law.

I "support" this law?

Scoffing at people who ridicule a law can be seen as support.

You can have a "private" parking spot in an apartment building. You are stupid vox.

But the law, as written, applies to private garages on your private property if that property is defined as an apartment. In other words, it was written to apply to rental units with common garages, but applies to condominiums and apartments that are privately owned if the garage is not separate from the property. This is a really big issue in San Francisco because it actually r=prevents people from storing their bicycles in their garage.

It would be a big issue, if the law was enforced. It's not.

I "support" this law?

Everywhere in the world has codified ridiculous minutiae into law. It isn't just San Francisco.

San Francisco does it better than most places.

I "support" this law?

Great non answer
The question wasn't about the world and laws, But YOU and this city ordnance

Which proves nothing other than the fact that it is discriminatory.

I "support" this law?

Scoffing at people who ridicule a law can be seen as support.

...and windmills "can be seen" as dragons.

Great non answer

It's not a "city ordinance", it's building code. And since I've only lived in San Francisco for 4 years, I have no frame of reference to compare.

Last edited:

Whether or not it's being enforced should not be the issue but whether or not it's a law that can be enforced.

Great non answer

It's not a "city ordinance", it's building code. And since I haven't lived in San Francisco for 26 years, I have no frame of reference to compare.

They seem to be one in the same

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/ordtable/comprehensiveordinancelist?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:sanfrancisco_ca$sync=1

Forum List

Back