Rolling Stone Opinion Piece on Carson vs. Makin is what you would expect

The idea that a private school would get taxpayer funds, while collecting (what is normally) exorbitant tuitions from parents just doesn't sit well with me.

I'd like to think a workable solution could be found...

In this case the subsidy or voucher pays for the tuition, the school isn't getting anything extra. And the reason was there are no public schools available in the area in question at the grade levels the students are at.

Just as long as schools from every religion are treated the same then I am cool with the ruling

But that doesn't solve the problem of shitty public schools, and that problem needs to be addressed...

So long as parents aren't allowed the ability to send their children to where they can get the best education there will be no change. Government is not capable of making things better because they are the ones who fucked them up in the first place. Pissing money down the public education rat hole is a non starter.

So long as parents aren't allowed the ability to send their children to where they can get the best education there will be no change. Government is not capable of making things better because they are the ones who fucked them up in the first place. Pissing money down the public education rat hole is a non starter.

Sp we're just going to turn a blind eye to them?

What of those areas without a private school option, but only public schools. Do we just let them continue to deteriorate?

Why wouldn't they be?

Because many people in this country consider Christianity and maybe Judaism to be the only real religions. Would I really surprise you if some city in the middle of the bible belt refused to fund a Muslim school?

Sp we're just going to turn a blind eye to them?

What of those areas without a private school option, but only public schools. Do we just let them continue to deteriorate?

What you call turning a blind eye, I call severing a gangrenous limb. There is NOTHING that can be done to help the system. The system has failed because the leadership is terrible, there is no oversight that is meaningful, and there are no consequences for failure.

That leaves one option. Remove the children from the failed system. Move them to a system that has PROVEN itself to be a success. That way the public system will collapse to be replaced by something better. If it isn't better the private schools will expand to fill the gap.

What you call turning a blind eye, I call severing a gangrenous limb. There is NOTHING that can be done to help the system. The system has failed because the leadership is terrible, there is no oversight that is meaningful, and there are no consequences for failure.

That leaves one option. Remove the children from the failed system. Move them to a system that has PROVEN itself to be a success. That way the public system will collapse to be replaced by something better. If it isn't better the private schools will expand to fill the gap.

And whjat of those areas which aren't served by a private school?

No private school should receive government money...
There were no public schools for the first 75 years of this nation's existence. But more to the point, ---- there are 2.6 million K – 12 students in 7,142 Catholic elementary schools and 1,374 Catholic high schools taking that burden off of tax payers. I would say, hitherto, the tax payers and the nation have benefited tremendously from this particular religion's involvement ---- both financially, and providing a higher quality education.

Last edited:
Because many people in this country consider Christianity and maybe Judaism to be the only real religions. Would I really surprise you if some city in the middle of the bible belt refused to fund a Muslim school?

All the case says is if you offer vouchers for private schools you can't deny religious private schools just because they are religious schools.

There were no public schools for the first 75 years of this nation's existence. But more to the point, ---- there are 2.6 million K – 12 students in 7,142 Catholic elementary schools and 1,374 Catholic high schools taking that burden off of tax payers. I would say, hitherto, the tax payers and the nation have benefited tremendously from this particular religion's involvement ---- both financially, and providing a higher quality education.

I don't believe any religious school should receive government funding of any sort...

Forum List

Back