Republicans Seem To Lose On Every Issue Placed Under Scrutiny, Yet They Still Get Elected. Why?

Clearly they have not lost on every issue that matters most to the American people or they would not be getting elected. Perhaps the reason Republicans keep getting elected is because of the failures of Democrat policies and leadership.
And yet you can't give any examples of republicans helping anyone besides the wealthy class.

Like I said, they get elected because Americans are dumb. They would rather buy into the abysmal Fox News propaganda and listen to flowery speeches about freedom and warm apple pie that mean nothing.

I've got some examples:

Bush and the GOP Legislature created the 10% tax bracket. That was huge for the working class.

Bush and the GOP Legislature greatly expanded the GI Bill. Another win for the working class.

Bush's Medicare drug benefit certainly helped the working class in retirement. It's even included in many zero premium and Part B rebate plans now.

Middle class entrepreneurs (think landscapers and maids) benefitted greatly by having capital gains taxes reduced.

Allowing for immediate expense of technology and vehicle purchases (instead of amortization) was huge for the working and middle class (and good for the people that worked for companies making vehicles and technology).

Let's also not forget the average net worth of people that retired between 2001 and 2008.
Um do you have a link to all of this?

Why do you care? You've never let facts influence your view before. Have you had a "Come to Jesus moment" and now accept that reality does intersect with your life?

They've lost on the issue of wealth inequality.

They've lost on the issue of human caused climate change

They've lost on the issue of voter fraud.

They've lost on the issue of the effectiveness of tax cuts for the wealthy and trickle down economics as a whole.

They've lost on the issue of gay marriage

Last but not least, congressional republicans have the worst approval ratings behind not only Obama, but congressional democrats as well.

The thought of them taking the senate is not only awful, it is downright bewildering. You want the truth? Average joe Americans are idiots.

Look, I'm among the most liberal people here and I think the GOP will control the Senate in the upcoming congressional term 52-48. I don't think it has anything to do with Americans being idiots. If anything, I think it shows a certain sophistication when viewed through the correct prism.

I have also stated more than a few times that voting for a member of the congress of one party and a President of another is dumb. And I feel it is. Because the President is checked by congress. It would be like buying a Jaguar and then never slamming it into 5th gear.

So why do Republicans keep getting elected? All politics is local. GOP voters (I am not one usually so I can't say for sure) have a more narrow spectrum of what they expect from their representatives. There is a peculiar genius in that. If you believe that government and those who run it is inherently a bad thing, appointing the least likely-to-succeed as your representative serves your needs; does it not? I'm not sure Charlie Wilson ever actually said what was credited to him in Charlie Wilson's War but I think there is some truth to it:

I represent the only district in America
that doesn't want anything.
They want their guns, they want low taxes, that's it.

I believe his was Ron Paul's district.

Clearly they have not lost on every issue that matters most to the American people or they would not be getting elected. Perhaps the reason Republicans keep getting elected is because of the failures of Democrat policies and leadership.
And yet you can't give any examples of republicans helping anyone besides the wealthy class.

Like I said, they get elected because Americans are dumb. They would rather buy into the abysmal Fox News propaganda and listen to flowery speeches about freedom and warm apple pie that mean nothing.

I've got some examples:

Bush and the GOP Legislature created the 10% tax bracket. That was huge for the working class.

Bush and the GOP Legislature greatly expanded the GI Bill. Another win for the working class.

Bush's Medicare drug benefit certainly helped the working class in retirement. It's even included in many zero premium and Part B rebate plans now.

Middle class entrepreneurs (think landscapers and maids) benefitted greatly by having capital gains taxes reduced.

Allowing for immediate expense of technology and vehicle purchases (instead of amortization) was huge for the working and middle class (and good for the people that worked for companies making vehicles and technology).

Let's also not forget the average net worth of people that retired between 2001 and 2008.
Um do you have a link to all of this?

Why do you care? You've never let facts influence your view before. Have you had a "Come to Jesus moment" and now accept that reality does intersect with your life?
He has a point about what Bush did to Medicare (interestly enough you cons have no problem when a republican makes a subsidy change to a government program. Go figure). Although in reality those seniors could already afford their meds through Medicare before that.

What I doubt is that Bush's policies made any real economic benefit for the middle class and poor.

They've lost on the issue of the effectiveness of tax cuts for the wealthy and trickle down economics as a whole.

Last but not least, congressional republicans have the worst approval ratings behind not only Obama, but congressional democrats as well.

The thought of them taking the senate is not only awful, it is downright bewildering. You want the truth? Average joe Americans are idiots.

Look, I'm among the most liberal people here and I think the GOP will control the Senate in the upcoming congressional term 52-48. I don't think it has anything to do with Americans being idiots. If anything, I think it shows a certain sophistication when viewed through the correct prism.

I have also stated more than a few times that voting for a member of the congress of one party and a President of another is dumb. And I feel it is. Because the President is checked by congress. It would be like buying a Jaguar and then never slamming it into 5th gear.

So why do Republicans keep getting elected? All politics is local. GOP voters (I am not one usually so I can't say for sure) have a more narrow spectrum of what they expect from their representatives. There is a peculiar genius in that. If you believe that government and those who run it is inherently a bad thing, appointing the least likely-to-succeed as your representative serves your needs; does it not? I'm not sure Charlie Wilson ever actually said what was credited to him in Charlie Wilson's War but I think there is some truth to it:

Yes but that is what is stupid about republicans. They believe that government is evil/useless. It's a total emotional belief devoid of any critical thinking. What's even more stupid about it is that republicans are government officials. It's such non sense.

Yes but that is what is stupid about republicans. They believe that government is evil/useless. It's a total emotional belief devoid of any critical thinking. What's even more stupid about it is that republicans are government officials. It's such non sense.

I agree that the view is idiotic. But I disagree that the view, from their standpoint, is a vote to injure themselves. Apparently they've thought it through and consider the government a necessary evil so they will make it as powerless as they can.

When they start sending checks back to Washington from Atlanta, Baton Rouge, OK City and Franfort, I'll believe it though.

Republicans believe government is evil and useless?! Really? Where do you get this stuff?! Making Candy, who wants her sex life subsidized by government, sound moderate should at least set off something in whatever brain cells you have left.

Do you think that checking the size of government and its influence on private lives is the stuff of radicalism?

Gerrymandering only accounts for a handful of seat at any given time. The problem isn't that the GOP does it so much as it is that the democrats do it sooooo badly. Every time they build a super safe urban seat, they are basically surrendering the suburbs and rural areas to the GOP. Most counties in the US trend red. If the dems are getting 75% of the vote in urban areas, then they should redraw their maps to get 55% and try to adjust that 20% overperformance into swingier districts.

Most counties in the US trend red? Why? People like being screwed over?

Or they hate the democrats or they are mostly white and hate the democrats who are trying to rob them to buy minority turnout. Who knows. America is a funny place.

Even here on the USMB Republicans can't name a single one of their policies in the last 20 years that was either successful, helped the country or both.

I doubt that is true. Most republicans consider stopping the democrats as a success it seems.

At the same time, you can list many Democratic policies that helped the US. From health care, to student loans to fair pay and so on.

Can I? Help/hurt just appear to be relative to the speaker's partisanship here. You are patting the democrats back on student loans when 1) Elizabeth Warren is critical of the student loan program; 2) All that I recall being done recently is that Obama spun up a different version of the Income Contingent Repayment Plan that has been around decades and called it reform by shortening the foregiveness cliff by 5 years; and 3) I believe that both the direct consolidation rates are higher now than they were under Bush and the Dept of Education has started sending them to outside servicers again making it a big pain in the butt for people on Income contingent plans to keep having to send in their taxes instead of signing a form once every several years for the DOE to get the info verified directly from the IRS without their involvement.

Gerrymandering only accounts for a handful of seat at any given time. The problem isn't that the GOP does it so much as it is that the democrats do it sooooo badly. Every time they build a super safe urban seat, they are basically surrendering the suburbs and rural areas to the GOP. Most counties in the US trend red. If the dems are getting 75% of the vote in urban areas, then they should redraw their maps to get 55% and try to adjust that 20% overperformance into swingier districts.

It's so funny to see Democrats bitch about Gerrymandering when they are the ones that codified it in the first place!

"Minority majority districts" are an artificial construct. Republicans are being accused of benefiting from that structure and yet Democrats are the ones constantly fighting any effort to get rid of them.

Those should change with the Voting Rights Act having been gutted by the SCOTUS, but yes, the democrats only worry about it when they are not the ones doing it.

Gee, can you cite any Republican who actually believes that?
Another fail post from Billy Zippo.

I agree that the view is idiotic. But I disagree that the view, from their standpoint, is a vote to injure themselves. Apparently they've thought it through and consider the government a necessary evil so they will make it as powerless as they can.

When they start sending checks back to Washington from Atlanta, Baton Rouge, OK City and Franfort, I'll believe it though.
Happens every April 15th, hon.

You and your kind say that bullshit all the time. Don't give me that shit.

Then it should be easy for you to find examples. Go ahead.
You wont. You'll deflect to some irrelevant bullsht.

I'm from Massachusetts, Candy...about as liberal a State as you're going to find...yet the voters there from time to time elect Republicans to run the State. Why? It's usually because a succession of tax and spend Democrats have gotten the State in bad fiscal troubles and the voters are savvy enough to understand that someone needs to put the brakes on and fix things. Then once that happens...those same voters are apt to vote another Democrat in that promises more social programs. It's a cycle.

You actually want me to find posts of republicans claiming the government is either useless or oppressive? You are such a moron. You can call it whatever you want.

You actually want me to find posts of republicans claiming the government is either useless or oppressive? You are such a moron. You can call it whatever you want.
Yes I'd like you to back up a claim you made so you dont appear to be a total liar. I realize that's unreasonable to\ you but rational people actually act that way.

Yes I'd like you to back up a claim you made so you dont appear to be a total liar. I realize that's unreasonable to\ you but rational people actually act that way.
Christ you will try for any small victory you can get huh? You are so pathetic.

Christ you will try for any small victory you can get huh? You are so pathetic.
No, Billy. Pathetic is someone who constantly throws out statements he can't support and deflects to hide the fact. That would be you.

No..the needy red states are all too happy to cash the checks written by the blue ones...

No..the needy red states are all too happy to cash the checks written by the blue ones...
Doesnt' refute what I wrote.
Been debunked.
Looks like you're batting a Zero.

Forum List

Back