Republican Flip-Flop on Vaccinations

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
When you have no core values, no principles, flip-flopping is easy.

Conservatives were often vocally pro-vaccination in the past, when anti-vaccine sentiment was vaguely associated with people the comedian Jon Stewart once mocked as “science-denying affluent California liberals.” With “affluent California liberals” as a symbol of the anti-vaccination movement, conservative culture-war instincts trended in a more constructive direction. Indeed, a 2015 measles outbreak at Disneyland illustrated the importance of mass vaccination to obtain herd immunity and suppress disease.

Many conservatives at the time made precisely that point. “If you think about the childhood illnesses that once permanently debilitated people like my grandfather, who contracted childhood polio—and you think today that measles, rubella, polio have been eradicated from the U.S. and much of the world—why would we go backwards?” Senator Ted Cruz asked in 2015. “In a feat that would have been unimaginable a few decades ago, the anti-vaccine movement has managed to breathe life into nearly vanquished childhood diseases,” the conservative pundit Rich Lowry had lamented presciently a year earlier. “Nothing good can come from undoing one of the miracles of medical progress.”

The logic of vaccine mandates, too, was well accepted on the right. “Some say the decision to vaccinate or not should be the parents’ choice,” the conservative writer Thomas Sowell argued in 2015. “That would be fine if their child would live isolated from other children. But that is impossible.” Many articles from 2015 were bitterly angry at the suggestion that conservatives were anti-vaccine, and blamed media bias for it. There were certainly disagreements over federal authority to mandate vaccines, but those differences of opinion were less significant, because immunization remained a thoroughly bipartisan cause, and Republicans had not embraced anti-vaxxers as a constituency. Today, Republican elected officials have begun opposing such mandates even on the state level.

Wendy E. Parmet: Americans are suing to protect their freedom from infection

Now Cruz complains about Big Bird encouraging children to get vaccinated while Lowry writes rageful op-eds attacking “the idiocy of covid-vaccine mandates for kids.” In 2015, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky tweeted a photo of himself getting a booster shot to rebut liberal media bias; in 2021, the career ophthalmologist announced that he was refusing to get the COVID vaccine. As Lowry observed in 2015, anti-vaxxers tend to be “doggedly impervious to evidence.”

We aren’t against actual vaccines that work and are safe.

We are against experimental vaccine types with no long term studies, which have also been proven to be harmful and are certainly not effective.

Please point out when conservatives have ever supported such things.

Conservatives were often vocally pro-vaccination in the past, when anti-vaccine sentiment was vaguely associated with people the comedian Jon Stewart once mocked as “science-denying affluent California liberals.” With “affluent California liberals” as a symbol of the anti-vaccination movement, conservative culture-war instincts trended in a more constructive direction. Indeed, a 2015 measles outbreak at Disneyland illustrated the importance of mass vaccination to obtain herd immunity and suppress disease.

Many conservatives at the time made precisely that point. “If you think about the childhood illnesses that once permanently debilitated people like my grandfather, who contracted childhood polio—and you think today that measles, rubella, polio have been eradicated from the U.S. and much of the world—why would we go backwards?” Senator Ted Cruz asked in 2015. “In a feat that would have been unimaginable a few decades ago, the anti-vaccine movement has managed to breathe life into nearly vanquished childhood diseases,” the conservative pundit Rich Lowry had lamented presciently a year earlier. “Nothing good can come from undoing one of the miracles of medical progress.”

The logic of vaccine mandates, too, was well accepted on the right. “Some say the decision to vaccinate or not should be the parents’ choice,” the conservative writer Thomas Sowell argued in 2015. “That would be fine if their child would live isolated from other children. But that is impossible.” Many articles from 2015 were bitterly angry at the suggestion that conservatives were anti-vaccine, and blamed media bias for it. There were certainly disagreements over federal authority to mandate vaccines, but those differences of opinion were less significant, because immunization remained a thoroughly bipartisan cause, and Republicans had not embraced anti-vaxxers as a constituency. Today, Republican elected officials have begun opposing such mandates even on the state level.

Now Cruz complains about Big Bird encouraging children to get vaccinated while Lowry writes rageful op-eds attacking “the idiocy of covid-vaccine mandates for kids.” In 2015, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky tweeted a photo of himself getting a booster shot to rebut liberal media bias; in 2021, the career ophthalmologist announced that he was refusing to get the COVID vaccine. As Lowry observed in 2015, anti-vaxxers tend to be “doggedly impervious to evidence.”
Crazy….
Rasmussen just reported the following:

— 59% of Democrats favor forcing the unvaccinated to stay home at all times except for emergencies.

— 55% of Democrats favor levying state or federal fines on people who decline the shot.

— 48% of Democrats favor fines or imprisonment for people who publicly question vaccine efficacy.

— 47% of Democrats favor a government tracking program to people who decline the shot.

— 45% of Democrats support temporary relocation to “designated facilities or locations” for those who decline the shot.

— 29% of Democrats favor temporarily removing your custody of your children if you decline the shot.

That’s pretty twisted.

Crazy….
Rasmussen just reported the following:

— 59% of Democrats favor forcing the unvaccinated to stay home at all times except for emergencies.

— 55% of Democrats favor levying state or federal fines on people who decline the shot.

— 48% of Democrats favor fines or imprisonment for people who publicly question vaccine efficacy.

— 47% of Democrats favor a government tracking program to people who decline the shot.

— 45% of Democrats support temporary relocation to “designated facilities or locations” for those who decline the shot.

— 29% of Democrats favor temporarily removing your custody of your children if you decline the shot.

That’s pretty twisted.
That was rasmussen. Nobody believes them.

Your OP just encourages people like Hawk from ignorantly ignoring what the Sup Ct. said on vaccine mandates in private workplaces. The fed govt might have that power, but congress hasn't passed the law allowing Osha to regulate vaccines in private employment, but the issue has NOTHING to do with efficacy and safety of vaccines. The Sup Ct acknowledged they work, even when opposing mandates.

Cig smoking at work is mainly regulated by states. I don't think there's any "mandate" on mmr vaccination. And it's not news that conservative judges are hostile to "the administrative state."

The second case, Biden v. Missouri, is about whether the fed administration of medicare and medicaid can require hospitals other facilities getting federal money to require workers get vacced or tested, or not get the money. That's a different animal than Osha. I agree that it's disturbing to say the least that 4 justices have any problem with that.

Anyone who wants the vaccine has already got it.
You will never convince the rest.

Far past time to accept that reality.
But should my doctor who gets paid through medicare be able to not get vaccinated or employ a nurse who won't get the vaccination in order to treat his patients, including me? Four Justices just said yes

Those vaccines work. Have you ever heard of someone getting three polio vaccines, then contracting polio? No, that's how your scam was exposed.

Conservatives were often vocally pro-vaccination in the past

Then the facts started coming out about the vaccines. People who were vaccinated were still dying. many cases of people actually dying from the vaccine.

Republicans with common sense, realized that it's almost useless. Many of us, who are not democrats, including republicans, got the vaccine. And don't really regret getting it. But since so many are dying after getting vaccinated, the vaccine seems to look a lot like a sugar pill.

That was rasmussen. Nobody believes them.

Everyone believes them when they say what we want them to say. In this case, it shines a bad light on democrats. So democrats aren't going to like it.

If you were asked those same questions, how would you answer?

Those vaccines work. Have you ever heard of someone getting three polio vaccines, then contracting polio? No, that's how your scam was exposed.

I was talking to my ex last night, she works in a nursing home. Every one who works there are tested twice a week. One of the nurses tested positive and is in the hospital. She'd been vaccinated and had the booster.
The BS reports from this administration is so riddled with lies and misinformation, I don't see how the left even trusts it.

We are against experimental vaccine types with no long term studies, which have also been proven to be harmful and are certainly not effective.

Please point out when conservatives have ever supported such things.

Sorry, but your pity card will not be stamped on this one. How much research The Jonas Salks vaccine was developed in 1955 yet in 1957 it began being distributed. I got my first one in 1959. It was distributed by region and age. If you think that the Salks Polio vaccine wasn't controversial, think again. It was manufactured using the live disease. And it it wasn't done correctly (see cutter labs 1960-1961) it gave the person a form of Polio. Both Conservatives and Liberals supported this because the dangers of catching and spreading Polio.

I am a conservative and get called Rino, Commie Bastard, rwnutjob and others. But since I use my brain and common sense and look at both sides, I will never be what you are and we are still trying to categorize you. But it's certainly not conservative.

So put the anger card away, put it with your pity card back in your wallet.

Sorry, but your pity card will not be stamped on this one. How much research The Jonas Salks vaccine was developed in 1955 yet in 1957 it began being distributed. I got my first one in 1959. It was distributed by region and age. If you think that the Salks Polio vaccine wasn't controversial, think again. It was manufactured using the live disease. And it it wasn't done correctly (see cutter labs 1960-1961) it gave the person a form of Polio. Both Conservatives and Liberals supported this because the dangers of catching and spreading Polio.

I am a conservative and get called Rino, Commie Bastard, rwnutjob and others. But since I use my brain and common sense and look at both sides, I will never be what you are and we are still trying to categorize you. But it's certainly not conservative.

So put the anger card away, put it with your pity card back in your wallet.
What are you babbling about?

My post has no anger or pity in it. I merely state that we conservatives were never pro-experimental vaccines.

We are against experimental vaccine types with no long term studies, which have also been proven to be harmful and are certainly not effective..
These fucking useful idiots never acknowledge the difference between being against properly vetted vaccines and the rushed, no-long-term-tested crap they're trying to force upon everyone. It's like they're incapable of rational thought and just parrot whatever they've been told to. Worthless fuckstains, I say.

Forum List

Back