Refuting George Carlin's Lies

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
Here is the quote:
"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He’s all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can’t handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. "

He is full of LIES

George Carlin was a satirist, not a philosopher, theologian or historian. He said things to be funny, playing very loosely with the truth. And much of what he said about God and religion was plain false.

For example, this meme has popped up in my various social media three times this month:
Enter his lying speech.....(see below)

Now, if you aren't well-informed, or can overlook lies, this is funny stuff. And if you are already deeply anti-religion, it even seems profound. But if you care about truth and education and impartiality, this is disgusting, shallow and destructive.

Let's have a closer look at the truth:

Religion has actually convinced people…

Belief in gods predates religion, so in fact people who believed in gods created religions to practice, share and debate their beliefs.
People do the convincing, not some insidious institution.
Millions of theists reject religion, and are convinced gods exist because of their own experiences and freethinking.
Many religions are atheistic — and teach that there are no gods.
There's an invisible man living in the sky…

Wrong on all three accounts: in virtually all major religions, God is not invisible (people have seen him), not a man (spirit or an avatar or incarnation), and doesn't live in the sky (he is omnipresent).
Carlin is likely imagining the Creation image in the Sistine chapel, which is an allegory based on Greek imagery, not Biblical.
watches everything you do…

God knows what we think and do, of course, but "watches" implies he is focused and preoccupied with us, which cannot be true of an immense timeless Mind.
a special list of ten things he does not want you to do…

Two of the Ten Commandments are things God demands we do: honour the sabbath and our parents.
There are many hundreds of commandments in the Bible.
The Mosaic moral code has produced the most lasting and just civilization in history. It is still the deep foundation of modern law and humanism.
He will send you to a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish…

Like much of Old Testament imagery, this is allegory that was deeply and unjustly emphasized by the counter-reformation.
He needs money!

God has no need of nor use for money.
People, who want to worship God in collective ways and help their neighbours, need money.
Every institution, from Government to the Girl Guides, needs money and that includes corrupt people.
5.8K viewsView 60 upvotesView sharesAnswer requested by

Here is the quote:
"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He’s all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can’t handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. "

He is full of LIES

George Carlin was a satirist, not a philosopher, theologian or historian. He said things to be funny, playing very loosely with the truth. And much of what he said about God and religion was plain false.

For example, this meme has popped up in my various social media three times this month:

Now, if you aren't well-informed, or can overlook lies, this is funny stuff. And if you are already deeply anti-religion, it even seems profound. But if you care about truth and education and impartiality, this is disgusting, shallow and destructive.

Belief in gods predates religion, so in fact people who believed in gods created religions to practice, share and debate their beliefs.
Millions of theists reject religion, and are convinced gods exist because of their own experiences and freethinking.

Wrong on all three accounts: in virtually all major religions, God is not invisible (people have seen him), not a man (spirit or an avatar or incarnation), and doesn't live in the sky (he is omnipresent).
Carlin is likely imagining the Creation image in the Sistine chapel, which is an allegory based on Greek imagery, not Biblical.

God knows what we think and do, of course, but "watches" implies he is focused and preoccupied with us, which cannot be true of an immense timeless Mind.

Two of the Ten Commandments are things God demands we do: honour the sabbath and our parents.
The Mosaic moral code has produced the most lasting and just civilization in history. It is still the deep foundation of modern law and humanism.
He will send you to a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish…

Like much of Old Testament imagery, this is allegory that was deeply and unjustly emphasized by the counter-reformation.
He needs money!

People, who want to worship God in collective ways and help their neighbours, need money.
Every institution, from Government to the Girl Guides, needs money and that includes corrupt people.
Which god?

I like George Carlin--have every since we were introduced to his comedy in Catholic school. He is the epitome of how the unenlightened see God and religious practices--and why they cannot believe. He helped me to understand the atheists in my family.

George Carlin had no in depth understanding of Catholicism, and he was the likeable essence of all others who also have no understanding. Through George Carlin, we understand why some simply do not get Catholicism--or any religion for that matter.

As kids, we saw how our beliefs looked to outsiders--didn't matter because we were on the inside (most of the time) ;)

My advice to all the George Carlins out there: Seek God first. Find Him. Religious practices then fall into place.

Carlin was a better than average comedian for a long time. But then as he got old he became a bitter old man.
His humor became dark, angered and pointed.
I will always remember him as the hippy dippy weatherman.

Here is the quote:

He is full of LIES

He needs money!

Yeah and these televangelists never ask for more than what's necessary to help their fellow man. LOL Kenneth Copeland. Jim Baker, Treflo Dollar, Osteen etc etc. There was always more than a grain of truth in Carlin's comedy.

Yeah and these televangelists never ask for more than what's necessary to help their fellow man. LOL Kenneth Copeland. Jim Baker, Treflo Dollar, Osteen etc etc. There was always more than a grain of truth in Carlin's comedy.
You kinda make the point though.
It isn't religion that is the bullshit, Carlin had that completely wrong. "God" isn't out asking people for money.
Organized/corrupt churches USING religion as a means of enriching themselves is the bullshit.
Carlin should have talked about them, not God.

I like George Carlin--have every since we were introduced to his comedy in Catholic school. He is the epitome of how the unenlightened see God and religious practices--and why they cannot believe. He helped me to understand the atheists in my family.

George Carlin had no in depth understanding of Catholicism, and he was the likeable essence of all others who also have no understanding. Through George Carlin, we understand why some simply do not get Catholicism--or any religion for that matter.

As kids, we saw how our beliefs looked to outsiders--didn't matter because we were on the inside (most of the time) ;)

My advice to all the George Carlins out there: Seek God first. Find Him. Religious practices then fall into place.
And my advice is that if someone tells you they are a christian without you having asked, Hide the kids and hold onto your wallet.

That deep knowledge of catholicism that you speak of, does that curriculum include how the church rallied around pedophile priests and hid them and shuffled them around to protect them? If one is to embark on an in-depth study of catholicism, he should get the full picture, right?

That deep knowledge of catholicism that you speak of, does that curriculum include how the church rallied around pedophile priests and hid them and shuffled them around to protect them? If one is to embark on an in-depth study of catholicism, he should get the full picture, right?
I was a reporter at the time. The Church never "rallied around"....
I've gone over this time and again and again just recently. It has been my experience that people who still think anyone "rallied around" haven't a clue and not only that, they don't want the clue. This may sound hard, probably because it is the hard truth. Society had no interest in the extent of pedophilia everywhere. They just wanted an excuse to throw mud at Catholics and Catholics only.

I was a reporter at the time. The Church never "rallied around"....
I've gone over this time and again and again just recently. It has been my experience that people who still think anyone "rallied around" haven't a clue and not only that, they don't want the clue. This may sound hard, probably because it is the hard truth. Society had no interest in the extent of pedophilia everywhere. They just wanted an excuse to throw mud at Catholics and Catholics only.
Yeah! Those evil little bastard altar boys set those poor priests up! Gotta stop picking on pedophiles. That vow of chastity nonsense sure is a winning strategy to correct the problem. Get Real!!

Just go to google and enter pedophile priests. The problem exists across the globe because of the off hand dismissal of every allegation by the catholic church.

Carlin was a better than average comedian for a long time. But then as he got old he became a bitter old man.
His humor became dark, angered and pointed.
I will always remember him as the hippy dippy weatherman.
I liked all versions of Carlin. The geezer Carlin was every bit as funny as the one in the KRAFT Summer Music Hall. Even more so in my opinion. he took on a more adult persona with more serious issues. He was as much a teacher as he was a comic. As was Will Rogers,Lenny Bruce and Mort Saul before him.

Yeah! Those evil little bastard altar boys set those poor priests up! Gotta stop picking on pedophiles. That vow of chastity nonsense sure is a winning strategy to correct the problem. Get Real!!
I "got real" decades ago while I was investigating the story. Discovered what happened in the Catholic Church was a small percentage of what was happening everywhere. The most shocking was schools, and more shocking than that is the editors didn't want to pursue the story beyond the Catholic Church. Nor were they interested that psychiatric professions were the ones setting up their "cures" which ended by telling those in charge to move everyone (yes, teachers and others who worked with children) to different locations.

The public got a peek of what was going on and nothing more. They never even got the follow-up of what the Church in the US started doing to prevent even a small percentage from occurring again. It was a botched story from start to finish. However, since everyone was thrilled with reason to throw mud and vilify Catholics, success!

I "got real" decades ago while I was investigating the story. Discovered what happened in the Catholic Church was a small percentage of what was happening everywhere. The most shocking was schools, and more shocking than that is the editors didn't want to pursue the story beyond the Catholic Church. Nor were they interested that psychiatric professions were the ones setting up their "cures" which ended by telling those in charge to move everyone (yes, teachers and others who worked with children) to different locations.

The public got a peek of what was going on and nothing more. They never even got the follow-up of what the Church in the US started doing to prevent even a small percentage from occurring again. It was a botched story from start to finish. However, since everyone was thrilled with reason to throw mud and vilify Catholics, success!
When you take a sampling of pedophiles from the Catholic church and compare the numbers with the rest of society, of course it's gonna work in the favor of the much smaller group. You're not gonna sell that shit here. The rest of society doesn't practice so-called chastity.
You kinda make the point though.
It isn't religion that is the bullshit, Carlin had that completely wrong. "God" isn't out asking people for money.
Organized/corrupt churches USING religion as a means of enriching themselves is the bullshit.
Carlin should have talked about them, not God.
The myth that there is a two party agreement codified in law about the separation of church and state is just plain hogwash. Carlin clearly points out that only the state has kept it's part of the deal. We, the taxpayers, get a church that is always perfectly willing to stick its nose into politics, speak on the issues and financially back candidates who they believe will allow for more interference by the Church. Look at what's happening right now. Roe v Wade is being reversed largely because of candidates backed by religion. Yet, the flip side of what was Roe v Wade, namely that if the church dare to interfere with government, the exemption from taxes will go the way of Roe is conveniently missing. But. as the church, in its many forms gains more and more political clout, it's the rest of us, Agnostic and Atheists alike, who will in effect pay for the uncollected taxes that should have been stricken down as part of the abolition of choice. And my party. the Democrats, will not speak out because they lost their gonads a long time ago. There is a total lack of fire in the belly by Dems as they continually stand aside while madness and fascism continue to grow unabated. One group bent on the destruction of Democracy and another too corrupt and/or gutless to put a stop to it all.

George Carlin was a Comedian and if I am looking for him for spiritual guidance then I need to really look into my soul and ask where I went wrong?

I do not believe in Church or the Abraham God but if you feel the need for one or both then by all means but let respect each other and understand you preaching to me will fall on deaf ears and blinded eyes…

Forum List

Back