Redefining racism

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
Recently, I have seen attempts, primarily within the scholarly community, to redefine racism as being prejudice + institutional power = racism.

Personally, I think that racism is racism, whether it is espoused by a person of color or by a white person. I do believe in the concept of white privilege, but I don't think that racism is a game that only white people can play.

How do you think the term should be defined?

Here's a blog on the subject for some background: winterkoninkje. Why Racism Prejudice Institutionalized Power is wrong

Recently, I have seen attempts, primarily within the scholarly community, to redefine racism as being prejudice + institutional power = racism.

Personally, I think that racism is racism, whether it is espoused by a person of color or by a white person. I do believe in the concept of white privilege, but I don't think that racism is a game that only white people can play.

Here's a blog on the subject for some background: winterkoninkje. Why Racism Prejudice Institutionalized Power is wrong
You are pretty close. Racism is a system or doctrine employed by racists. The fact that people of color do not own any of the resources here in the US they by definition cannot practice racism. They can be racist.

• Banned
I think that's mincing things way too fine. In many communities, particularly in the south, blacks are the majority in positions of power. Can they then practice racism? Of course they can.

For the record, this inclusion of institutional power as a requirement is an addition to the standard definition of racism, which is merely holding the belief that one race or culture is superior to another.

Racism is putting racist ideas into practice. Anyone can do that. Of course, the impact is greater when an individual or group has greater social capital. But, even a poor person of color can engage in racism.

I think that's mincing things way too fine. In many communities, particularly in the south, blacks are the majority in positions of power. Can they then practice racism? Of course they can.
Not as a group. If Blacks got together as a race and decided not to give white people home loans, what effect would that have on whites as a group? Now switch out the races in that scenario and you have the definition of racism.

• Banned
Not as a group. If Blacks got together as a race and decided not to give white people home loans, what effect would that have on whites as a group? Now switch out the races in that scenario and you have the definition of racism.

Of course they can, as a group. If a community is predominantly African American, and the mayor, police chief, school superintendent, etc. are black, and the majority of government employees are black, don't you think there will be a propensity to hire other blacks? Of course there is, you can see it in multiple cities, in practice.

I think that this new definition is based upon some outdated assumptions, namely, that blacks don't currently wield significant influence in society. I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you're talking about policy-makers who are people of color, they do wield considerable influence. If you're talking about poor black folks, they have very little influence. But, for that matter, neither do poor whites.

I think that in many communities, the issue is less skin color and more economics.

Of course they can, as a group. If a community is predominantly African American, and the mayor, police chief, school superintendent, etc. are black, and the majority of government employees are black, don't you think there will be a propensity to hire other blacks? Of course there is, you can see it in multiple cities, in practice.

I think that this new definition is based upon some outdated assumptions, namely, that blacks don't currently wield significant influence in society. I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you're talking about policy-makers who are people of color, they do wield considerable influence. If you're talking about poor black folks, they have very little influence. But, for that matter, neither do poor whites.

I think that in many communities, the issue is less skin color and more economics.
What system do Black people own to where they could practice racism? You never answered the question posed in my post.

You are pretty close. Racism is a system or doctrine employed by racists. The fact that people of color do not own any of the resources here in the US they by definition cannot practice racism. They can be racist.

I read a one liner several weeks ago that the the City of Atlanta had finally eliminated everything that had anything to do with the movie "Gone With the Wind." The Mayor and most city council members are African-Americans and I consider that racist.

• Banned
What system do Black people own to where they could practice racism? You never answered the question posed in my post.
Black people can certainly dominate local units of government, at the least. That is a considerable level of power and influence.

Want to define/list those RESOURCES that people of black do not own? I would like to compare the list to the resources that I have owned or currently won.

I read a one liner several weeks ago that the the City of Atlanta had finally eliminated everything that had anything to do with the movie "Gone With the Wind." The Mayor and most city council members are African-Americans and I consider that racist.

Why do you consider this decision racist? I think it's probably poorly economically conceived, since many tourists are interested in GWTW history, etc., in Atlanta, but I'm not sure it's racist. I mean, GWTW is a work of fiction.

Black people can certainly dominate local units of government, at the least. That is a considerable level of power and influence.

Currently black people are dominating federal units of government in the Executive Branch. At least Obama claims he is black.

Currently black people are dominating federal units of government in the Executive Branch. At least Obama claims he is black.

There is only one executive, and he is black, but I think it would be difficult to make the case that the White House staff is majority black (it isn't). And one elected representative isn't an entire system.

Want to define/list those RESOURCES that people of black do not own? I would like to compare the list to the resources that I have owned or currently won.
The political, legal, financial, law enforcement, education, etc etc systems in this country. You are one insignificant person. Follow the conversation. We are talking about groups.

It would only be somewhat considerable if Black people dominated all local units of government.

Sound like good stuff. I commend them. Why would you consider that racist but not the the movie?

Obama is an elected official with a term limit. One Black person does not suddenly mean Black people own the executive branch of government. There are those that would have you believe that racism is a thing of the past because of that.

It would only be somewhat considerable if Black people dominated all local units of government.
Not necessarily. If black people dominated the mayor, city council, and city manager position, they would wield considerable influence over all governmental functions at the local level.

Not necessarily. If black people dominated the mayor, city council, and city manager position, they would wield considerable influence over all governmental functions at the local level.
Not really. The State has the real power as pointed out by the constitution. You cant even be a city without meeting certain requirements of state policy.

Not really. The State has the real power as pointed out by the constitution. You cant even be a city without meeting certain requirements of state policy.
The state includes local units of government. You're attempting to twist an existing definition to fit a particular agenda, in my opinion.

The state includes local units of government. You're attempting to twist an existing definition to fit a particular agenda, in my opinion.
I agree, but the state determines if you are even a city. If the state wont let you become a city you dont really have an funds coming in and you die out unless your town consists of people that are independently wealthy. Thats how dozens of Black towns disappeared from the US landscape.

Forum List

Back