When references are made to institutionalized racism, this is what is meant.

The next few lines are from Flash, made in 2020.

“I can say for sure that happens because I did it. Before retirement, I was an Engineer. For the last 20 years of my career, I was a Manager and Director and I hired hundreds of people. I reviewed well over a thousand resumes for all kinds of positions. Everything from Secretaries to Engineering Managers. Both Salary and Hourly. I always culled out the resumes with Black Ethnic names. Never shortlisted anybody with a Black Ethnic name. Never hired them.”

“Since the Fortune 50 company I worked for had a stupid "affirmative action" hiring policies I never mentioned it to anybody and I always got away with it. A couple of times I was instructed to improve my departmental “diversity" demographics but I always ignored it and never got into any trouble. My stereotype is that anybody with a stupid ghetto Black ethnic name is probably worthless. I could have been wrong a couple of times but I was also probably right 99% of the time.

Glad I did it. I would do it again.”

It's time to stop denying what continues to go on.
Who’s flash? A poster here? What does he have to do with this story, or the data obtained from it?

All I’m saying is, they did this big old study, and literally gave no information about how they conducted the study, what methodology they used. There’s just not enough context.

I’m sure there are some companies out there that engage in discriminatory practices and they should change their ways, but in regards to THIS story, I’m looking for answers to the questions I raised

Why do white males like you have such a hard time understanding how you guys are why policies like DEI were created, becaose YOU GUYS were only hiring white men regardless of qualifications and would not stop until the government made laws to stop you? YOU GUYS gave superior consideration only to white men, and many still do.

Lots of baseless assumptions here, typical of an IM2 "post"

It's not about tone. It's a direct accusation.

I guess it depends on your intent. If you just want to alienate people who might otherwise support your cause, you're nailing it!
Are you that much of a snowflake?
If it doesn’t apply to you then it doesn’t apply.
If you were indeed a supporter, you wouldn’t be so easily deterred.

I totally agree. I just don't think the government is the right tool for the job. The government should focus on equal rights. Society can, voluntarily and collaboratively, work out equity.
Sure. Society can indeed. Elements of society like private business entities who have chosen to establish DEI initiatives in an effort to address these long established biased practices.

Where is govt involved?

Sure. Society can indeed. Elements of society like private business entities who have chosen to establish DEI initiatives in an effort to address these long established biased practices.

Where is govt involved?
All over the place. But, when it's not, I'm a supporter of voluntary DEI. It's state driven social engineering that bothers me. In my view that's an abuse of democratic government.

Are you that much of a snowflake?
If it doesn’t apply to you then it doesn’t apply.
If you were indeed a supporter, you wouldn’t be so easily deterred.
To clarify, the problem with IM2s post was the way he was holding white people accountable for their race, applying collective guilt. "You guys". If anyone had responded with comments about "you people", there would have been howling - and rightfully so. Collective guilt, collective blame - is the essence of racism. We don't resolve it by indulging it, whichever side is doing so.

All over the place. But, when it's not, I'm a supporter of voluntary DEI. It's state driven social engineering that bothers me. In my view that's an abuse of democratic government.
Where? Tell us.
To which govt DEI are you referring?

To clarify, the problem with IM2s post was the way he was holding white people accountable for their race, applying collective guilt. "You guys". If anyone had responded with comments about "you people", there would have been howling - and rightfully so. Collective guilt, collective blame - is the essence of racism. We don't resolve it by indulging it, whichever side is doing so.
Racists are accountable.
If you’re white and otherwise offended then some introspection may be in order.

Who’s flash? A poster here? What does he have to do with this story, or the data obtained from it?

All I’m saying is, they did this big old study, and literally gave no information about how they conducted the study, what methodology they used. There’s just not enough context.

I’m sure there are some companies out there that engage in discriminatory practices and they should change their ways, but in regards to THIS story, I’m looking for answers to the questions I raised
I think the lesson to be learned is to not saddle your child with a silly made up name, like Apple Blossom or Shaniqua

Is 10%-30% blocking out the 90%-70% from being white/male? :dunno:
It is hilarious.

"Majority Owned" women and black businesses.
Not majority employees
companies like mine partner with these companies providing the labor and getting 80% of the revenues or more with 90/70% White/Male employees.

It's a game but don't let the MAGA victimhood know.

Actually, it does. The respondents look at how names are written, and from that alone they do an assessment, is this person a risk.

Yes or no.

You have a weird name and you are a risk.

Sadly, these days, thanks to all of the ridiculous lawsuits, no one is willing to take even the slightest risk.

That's reality whether you like it or not.
I have talked to my relatives about naming their kids and how the choice of a name can impact the kids' success in the future.

I tell them if you want some fake "racially identified" name then use the middle name but give the first name a "normal" sounding name.

The racism isn't intentional but it is present.

So here's the thing: Let's say I have a car dealership in a posh suburb, 95% "white" and Asian. I have seen exactly two Black people walk into my showroom in the past year. While I personally couldn't care less whom I buy from, I fear that my clients would be reluctant to buy from, or even be comfortable with "Jamal."

Should I stand on principle and hire someone who will lose me sales, or find sales people with whom I know all my customers will be comfortable?
The only color in business is green.
Perhaps if "Jamal" has a strong record in a similar position but "customer facing" position must make the customer comfortable and the business knows its customers.

I don't blame the hiring people so much as I blame the bigotry pervasive in White America.
It's not as bad as it was 60 years ago but it is still a big driver in the racial imbalance in hiring.

Why wouldn't your clients feel comfortable w/Jamal?
Bigotry is.

Remember "White Men Can't Jump" when the Black guys were sure the White guy sucked because he was White?

Bigotry is not exclusive to White people but because White people control 90% of the wealth their bigotry is more impactful.

It is a shame but, surely Parents of Color must recognize its pervasiveness and the absolute fact that the name they give their kid will impact how they're viewed socially as they grow up.

By punishing those that by now weren't around for institutional racism.

What you are describing is the natural tendency for people trust "other" less than they trust "same".

And that works both ways.

Put a white run BBQ place next to a Black run BBQ place and where do you think most of the black people would go to first?
I think the Black people will choose the place with the best food at the best price.
do you make your dining choices based on the race of the restaurant owner?
Seems a stupid way to choose.

AND

The type of foods served at your "Black Restaurant," assuming its targeting Black diners will be different than that served at "Sonny's." e.g....ETHNIC FOOD.

Forum List

Back