R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett. Thanks for years of music.

Margaritaville was a decent song that was smooth. But it's still weak and safe rock for people who also love steely Dan.

But his fame mostly came from his concerts for people who go to sing easily remembered songs, wear grass skirts and get shithouse drunk.

The only good thing to come out of jimmy buffet besides margaritaville was the comedy broken lizards club dread where bill Paxton played a parody of jimmy buffet called coconut Pete. If it werent for jimmy I wouldn't have got to see bill Paxton play that part.

Never heard any of those on the radio though. They were just hits with his fanbase but not the mainstream.

This exists for a reason.

The songs you knew were far from his best.

The lyric is...cut my heel had to cruise on back home.
You're right. That did look odd when I coppied and pasted it off the internet. I figured, what the hell, maybe I've been singing it wrong all this time.

Pretty much.

No
His knowledge of politics is about as deep as the thickness of a dime.
As a anti-establishment type, often uneducated and enamored by Democrats on principle, never on knowledge. You can't get any more opposite of ideas - than Hillary Clinton and Jimmy Buffet... yet he held two campaign fund raisers for her. If he knew anything at all about her, he would have never supported her.
He was one of those people who think they are a Democrat based on what the platform was 50 years ago.

He Went to Paris... I'm not sure that was the name of it but it was among my favorite.
That one is assumed to be about his dad, but he had a strained relationship with him and was close to his sea captain grandfather.

I never really got into Buffet, or understood the vibe, till I worked two summers on Mackinaw Island during the Yatch races.

I met several members of different Looper clubs, they're all parrot heads, and all the bars & restaurants, were always playing that vibe.

great-loop.jpg

Good times.

He was a national treasure.

Can't beat poetry like this.

I blew out my flip flop
Stepped on a pop top
I broke my leg twice, I had to limp on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on
I cut my heel, had to cruise on back home.

Jimmy Buffett died 9/1/2023. Few musicians/songwriters have effected my life like Buffett did. I saw him 4 times. I was hoping for a 5th.

He will be missed!

I look at Buffet as a man who unapologetically lived his life exactly as he wanted to... on a daily basis.
And what a life. The man spent the entirety of his time on earth doing what he wanted, and hurting no one in the process. And - BTW - happened to be worth approximately $1 Billion.
$550 million, according to Forbes.

Margaritaville was a decent song that was smooth. But it's still weak and safe rock for people who also love steely Dan.

But his fame mostly came from his concerts for people who go to sing easily remembered songs, wear grass skirts and get shithouse drunk.

The only good thing to come out of jimmy buffet besides margaritaville was the comedy broken lizards club dread where bill Paxton played a parody of jimmy buffet called coconut Pete. If it werent for jimmy I wouldn't have got to see bill Paxton play that part.

Never heard any of those on the radio though. They were just hits with his fanbase but not the mainstream.

This exists for a reason.

How did Cartman get AIDS? :disbelief:

Forum List

Back