Prayer

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
How come it works? I can be at the very bottom of the darkest emotional hole, seeing no way out of the crisis. I ask for prayer, and I feel better.

It's not a placebo. My heart is damn near literally breaking, I can't cry hard enough ... and I PM someone and say please - ... help ... and within minutes I have regained control and even found some measure of calm. Within hours, I can set the burden aside and understand Romans 8:28.

I don't believe it's some placebo effect. Why didn't I just pray for myself and stop crying? I have experienced this throughout my entire life. It's why I could never say "There is no God," and believe that to be a true statement for any length of time.

Anyway. I don't get it, which leads to part two. Some would say God is just trying to get my attention. Okay. Couldn't he do that by some other means than damn near causing a heart attack due to the stress of the issue? Or is it more logical to say He had nothing to do with it? I mean, I'd hate to think he's sadistic.

Anyway, that's my ungodly ramble for today.

Since humans are so fickle God cannot impose what He thinks they want into people's lives. I believe there is almost universal belief that God grants us freewill. The best way to make it clear to the big guy is to spell it out.

I don't believe God wants to intrude in that way into our thoughts and take out which desires He judges we really want.

How come it works? I can be at the very bottom of the darkest emotional hole, seeing no way out of the crisis. I ask for prayer, and I feel better.

It's not a placebo. My heart is damn near literally breaking, I can't cry hard enough ... and I PM someone and say please - ... help ... and within minutes I have regained control and even found some measure of calm. Within hours, I can set the burden aside and understand Romans 8:28.

I don't believe it's some placebo effect. Why didn't I just pray for myself and stop crying? I have experienced this throughout my entire life. It's why I could never say "There is no God," and believe that to be a true statement for any length of time.

Anyway. I don't get it, which leads to part two. Some would say God is just trying to get my attention. Okay. Couldn't he do that by some other means than damn near causing a heart attack due to the stress of the issue? Or is it more logical to say He had nothing to do with it? I mean, I'd hate to think he's sadistic.

I believe God looks for opportunities to prove his love to us but I don't believe he is doing something mean to you to get your attention. Satan is a tormentor. God doesn't torment us. I believe whoever it was you PM'ed prayed for you and it wasn't some empty promise so the man or woman who prayed for you really felt your burden and prayed from a place of deep compassion. That is fervent prayer and it will get the answer every time. So God bless them for being faithful to pray for you.

I don't think it was an ungodly ramble, BD. I think you just gave God the glory for pulling you out of your despair. You thread most likely delights his heart this morning. My 2 cents. - Jeri

Sometimes God does need to get our attention with extreme trials. It's human nature to be asleep to the things of the Spirit, I think.

The Lord has been educating me alot with my trials lately. Im very grateful for that even though it hurts sometimes. I think if were to humble myself more I could probably pass through these things faster. Im a slow learner sometimes though. Though I seem to learn quickly with the random facts. Go figure.

I've made it a policy to pray, even when I don't want to. Because that's usually when I need it the most. I don't know why I go through things I do all the time. But I am glad I have the opportunity to.

Prayer

I ask for prayer ...

Is that (asking) the same as praying ... seems a person who never prays would be stronger than one who does ... somehow asking for help / hope does not seem such a weakness.

It's how life works for all of us. Whatever you've experience, someone else in this world has too.

We will never find or reach and equilibrium with our lives in terms of reaching an end or achieving perfection.

This only will happen after death and the day of judgement.

Keep holding on...one day it is coming. Don't waste your time thinking too much, try preparing for that significant point in life.

With all due respect to your religious beliefs, I think the act of asking for help in itself and the expectation of receiving it is what helped you. YOU pulled yourself out of it so give yourself more credit for being stronger. I am an atheist so I do not believe in any supernatural explanation to prayer but I know that there is a positive benefit to it because of the psychology behind it. People who pray for themselves enjoy an emotional and sometimes physical benefit.

• Banned

With all due respect to your religious beliefs, I think the act of asking for help in itself and the expectation of receiving it is what helped you. YOU pulled yourself out of it so give yourself more credit for being stronger. I am an atheist so I do not believe in any supernatural explanation to prayer but I know that there is a positive benefit to it because of the psychology behind it. People who pray for themselves enjoy an emotional and sometimes physical benefit.

I recently spent about a year examining my faith. My nephew is an atheist, which rather freed me to consider what I truly believe.

As stated in the first post. I don't believe it's a placebo effect. I am incredibly strong, resilient. But everybody has their limits, and I hit mine yesterday.

The people I asked. I have no way of knowing if they actually prayed except this has always happened to me. Even when I did not ask, I could feel it when people were interceding on my behalf.

Anyway. I appreciate you weighing in, I do. I just think that some things cannot be so easily explained away. ;)

I pray to be heard

I meditate to listen for that which needs to be heard

In both instances I am spending a special time with my God to the exclusion of all else. In my normal activities I manifest that which has been heard through my actions and thoughts. Being human the road to perfection is always under construction and causes me to think about that which will be part of my pray and meditation.

That's because if everything was going great in your life, you wouldn't recognize there was a Creator. God works in very mysterious ways that His people have a hard time understanding. I'm a true saints with His invisible knowledge to understand His mysterious ways. It's amazing how He put all this together and keep His people from knowing Him all these years since man existed. Only us saints and a few believers of the gospel we preach get the knowledge to understand the deeper things of our Creator.

I recently spent about a year examining my faith. My nephew is an atheist, which rather freed me to consider what I truly believe.

As stated in the first post. I don't believe it's a placebo effect. I am incredibly strong, resilient. But everybody has their limits, and I hit mine yesterday.

The people I asked. I have no way of knowing if they actually prayed except this has always happened to me. Even when I did not ask, I could feel it when people were interceding on my behalf.

Anyway. I appreciate you weighing in, I do. I just think that some things cannot be so easily explained away. ;)

Regardless of the method, I'm glad to hear you got a handle on whatever it was that affected you.

Studies done in hospitals concerning prayer, without the patients knowing they are being prayed for, heal more quickly than those with the same illness do.

BD what makes you think God answered their prayers for your sake? You may have nothing more to do with it than being a beneficiary of answered prayer. The prayer of the righteous man availith much. Maybe God was honoring them by answering their prayer, which just happened to benefit you. They are the ones with the relationship with their Father and the faith to believe He answers prayer.

That it works for them should be what gets your attention. That you have a Father that loves you beyond comprehension, and yearns to hear from you directly and heals that heart of yours regardless, should be your cue to get to know the one that lifts you up in spite of yourself.

He would have loved to honor you from the get go, you being His favored son, but you never called on Him when you were well. And He didn't take you to the depths of despair. You, minus your Father, ended up there on your own. Prayer before hand may have kept you from where you ended up, but you decided He wasn't necessary, yet.

Sometimes it takes a fox hole scenario for Him to get your attention. Your eternal soul is more important to Him than you being uncomfortable for a season while you're here. If that is what it takes for you to draw Him close, he'll wait for you to reach that point.

Did you thank Him for your relief?

YWN, relying on self is what took BD to the crisis. A tiny mustard seed of faith brought him out. I hope DB doesn't wait till the next disaster to ask for his Father to intervene. His Father is much more than a life raft.

^^^

No, studies don't show that. Point of prayer isn't about miracles.

And a Prophet does need to prove himself with miracles.

In fact, people who need miracles to believe have weaker faith.

^^^

No, studies don't show that. Point of prayer isn't about miracles.

And a Prophet does need to prove himself with miracles.

In fact, people who need miracles to believe have weaker faith.

Turns out I have no patience for either a) those who throw a wall of text, as opposed to conversing, OR b) those who cannot post without announcing that God gave them, and only them, the answers.

I pray to be heard

I meditate to listen for that which needs to be heard

In both instances I am spending a special time with my God to the exclusion of all else. In my normal activities I manifest that which has been heard through my actions and thoughts. Being human the road to perfection is always under construction and causes me to think about that which will be part of my pray and meditation.

I remember telling my mom - I think we're all on the same road. We all believe we are on a journey, and it will not end with our deaths. I may not have been as close to God as she was. She may have been walking right next to him, and I may have been walking on the shoulder of the road.

But it was the same road.

No atheist in a foxhole :cool:

There are plenty of atheists in foxholes.

There are plenty of atheists in foxholes.

not when the bombs are landing around your head. :cool:

Forum List

Back