POLL: What should the punishment be for protesting football players?

How should NFL players be punished?

• No punishment

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • Fine each time they do it

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Fine & Suspension

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • You're Fired!

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Mango. Mango everywhere.

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
insulting the nation and the fans at the beginning of each game is not protected by the constitution.

There must be literally millions of other ways and times they could "Exercise their 1st Amendment RIghts".
Well, for some it's an insult and for others it's an inspiration. The point remains, unless their employer expressly tells them not to do it, there's nothing stopping them.

So the question then is, what is all the outrage really going to accomplish on a tangible basis?

It reveals the divide that liberalism have created.

The left looks at a bunch of pampered assholes disrespecting America and are "inspired".

The rest of US are insulted and, to varying degrees, shocked at what has become of our nation, that such behavior is celebrated.

What to do about it? Step one, stop treating people who have nothing but contempt for US, like they don't.
Well, that's pretty much what's happening, that's fer damn sure.

Personally I'm not a fan of leveraging contempt and outrage and anger to improve anything, but I could be wrong.

Ignoring the facts won't make them go away.
Well, the third option is to communicate and listen and try to find some common ground on which to build.

And if we don't get our way, we sometimes have to just let it go.

I know that's not a very popular notion nowadays, believe me.

These assholes are insisting on pretending that America is a racist hellhole.

They are constantly claiming insane shit like Trump is a nazi.

There will be no communication or common ground until they get some sense knocked into them, if ever.

2009 isn't the first time an NFL team stood for the national anthem. From what I can gather, that's just when it became a requirement for teams to be on the field during the anthem. They weren't prevented from doing so before. FACT CHECK: Why Are NFL Players on the Sidelines for the National Anthem?

I've never claimed players were "prevented from" being on the field so this is a strawman.

Also, it may not be so much that players weren't on the field or standing for the anthem, but that in the past, networks often did not broadcast the anthem. Here's an example: National anthem gets in the game That is from just after 9/11. The author indicates that broadcasting the anthem was not a regular thing for multiple leagues, including the NFL.

Correct. I no longer have TV but the football games I remember watching from the beginning never featured a national anthem on the broadcast. I had presumed in the past from that that the game event didn't have one, which would be the sensible assumption since it has nothing to do with a football game and would have no valid reason to be there.

What's not sensible is that they do it at baseball games, including the broadcast. What's even less sensible is that immediately after they do, a game begins played by Dominicans and Cubans and Japanese and Australians and Koreans and Panamanians and Mexicans and Antilleans and Colombians and Canadians and Venezuelans and Taiwanese and there's a South African out there and a Russian in the works ---- and none of their anthems are played unless the game happens to be in Canada. And then for an even weirder twist, if the game IS in Canada .... they're still playing the US national anthem. In Canada. Which makes playing O Canada an imperative.

Here's one from last year, complaining about networks blacking out the anthem: Talk is cheap when networks play ads instead of airing anthem

I'm sure ads make more money. Complaining about capitalism in favor of watching robots just for the purpose of acquiescing to the PC-robot mentality is a bit ironic I must say. I always thought it was a point of superiority that the NFL didn't muddle up its broadcast with an irrelevant national anthem. To me the question was not why isn't the NFL broadcast showing it, but why IS the baseball broadcast doing it?

The anthem is played for the country a team is from. When teams are from different countries, as happens often in hockey, the anthems of the the two countries are both played. It doesn't have to do with the nationality of individual players.

That's true for the Olympics. But if that were the rationale then at baseball games we should also be sitting through the national anthems of the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Australia, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Canada, Panama, Curaçao and if the Pirates are playing, South Africa. Makes no sense.

What if there's a Panamanian on the team but he's not in the starting lineup, but then in the 7th inning he's called into the game? Do we leave his anthem alone until he's called in and then everything has to stop?

My team has at least two Canadians on it, yet I never hear O Canada unless we go to Toronto. And I never hear the DR, Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela or Korea, which are all on the team too, even though in a given game they might make up more than half the starting lineup. Makes no sense.

Because it has no reason to be there, plain and simple. If there was a 99-year "tradition" of everybody in the stands whacking themselves in the face with a two-by-four before the first pitch, there would be no argument whatsoever to standing up and declaring, "hey, this makes no sense".

From what I've read, the tradition of playing the anthem before games mostly began during WWI and really became a big thing during WWII. It was supposedly a combination of patriotism because of the wars, and technology allowing it to be done easily; there was no need for an actual band.

Your timeline is correct. The bottom line being, there's no need for an actual anthem. 1918 was the first time it was done, an infamous period of shameless mob mentality that brought lynchings and race riots, the Palmer Raids, people getting tossed in jail for refusing to kiss a flag, and even Dachshunds ripped from their owners and stoned to death in the street simply because the name "Dachshund" is German. That's the danger of mob mentality, and that's why I'm vehemently opposed to it.

Now if the anthem has an actual function in the event--- say it's a military function, or an Olympic event, then it has a reason to be there. Absent that reason all it is is an exercise in cultivating a mob mentality. And that's never a good thing.

My point regarding the NFL from the beginning of the post is that, from what I've read, teams did often go out and stand during the anthem before 2009. They simply weren't shown doing so by the networks. 2009 is just the time the NFL made it mandatory for teams to be on the field (although not mandatory to stand).

Correct again ---- whether shown on TV or not, prior to 2009 players were in the locker room when the anthem was played because it just wasn't an issue, just as prior to whenever it was that some media wag happened to notice Colin Kaepernick sitting through the NA and figure he could milk a story out of it as long as nobody looked into it logically --- he had already done several times without making any waves about it and it wasn't an issue either.

It became a 'thing' for players to be on the field during the NA when the Pentagon started pimping for fake patriotism. And the pitfall of that shouldn't need to be explained, is already illegal, and was the subject of a Senate investigation two years ago. The NFL in response sent some three-quarters of a million bucks of that taxpayer money back to -- at least the government, if not the taxpayers.

But ----- "Colin Kaepernick". :rolleyes:

None of that means a player was prohibited from the field during the NA. It simply means that those who try to present this NA thing as some venerable tradition are full of proverbial shit.

I'm not sure how you misread my post. The national anthem is played for the nation a TEAM is from, not for the nations individual players may be from. MLB teams are from only 2 nations, the United States and Canada. Therefore, those are the only 2 anthems that would be played.

I also have read that teams did NOT all stay in the locker room prior to 2009. Teams did, in fact, come out and stand on the sidelines during the anthem.

Players did not always stay in the locker room prior to 2009. That is simply untrue. Here, let me provide a few clips of anthems being broadcast in non-SB games prior to 2009 with players on the field:
B2 bomber flyover jags vs titans 11/15/08
Cassidy Sings National Anthem at Giants/Eagles Game

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think those are even playoff games. It may not have been usual, but teams certainly did come out to the field for the anthem at least some of the time prior to 2009. It just wasn't a required thing.

The mandate may well have been a marketing thing for the NFL, but the idea that NFL players were always in the locker room during the national anthem prior to 2009 is demonstrably false. I'm not sure how to determine how often teams may have stayed in the locker room during the anthem, other than perhaps going through archival NFL footage. :p

Again you're inserting points I never made. I did not say every team always without exception absolutely didn't dare venture on to the field during the NA, nor did I say they were prohibited from doing so. Again you seem to be inventing your own argument so you can knock it down.

You could have, for instance, a guest Brazilian samba band on the field for entertainment, and maybe a player or two finds it interesting and comes out to watch. Fine and dandy, nothing wrong with that. The issue comes when you start "requiring" everybody to get out and stand, applaud, whatever, for that band and start telling them if they don't do it they're fired.

Last edited:
Punishment for exercising one's 1st Amendment rights? This IS America, is it not?
Well, at football stadiums and college campuses alike, that's not a given, it seems.

insulting the nation and the fans at the beginning of each game is not protected by the constitution.

There must be literally millions of other ways and times they could "Exercise their 1st Amendment RIghts".
Well, for some it's an insult and for others it's an inspiration. The point remains, unless their employer expressly tells them not to do it, there's nothing stopping them.

So the question then is, what is all the outrage really going to accomplish on a tangible basis?

The left looks at a bunch of pampered assholes disrespecting America and are "inspired".

The rest of US are insulted and, to varying degrees, shocked at what has become of our nation, that such behavior is celebrated.

What to do about it? Step one, stop treating people who have nothing but contempt for US, like they don't.

You just intermixed "Liberalism" and "the left" as if they're synonums. Not only are they not synonyms but neither of them is even involved in this fake-kerfufle.

Unless you want to point to the Liberal concept of free speech versus the authoritarian one of shutting it down. If that's where you're going --- that's exactly it.

Punishment for exercising one's 1st Amendment rights? This IS America, is it not?
Well, at football stadiums and college campuses alike, that's not a given, it seems.

You just intermixed "Liberalism" and "the left" as if they're synonums. Not only are they not synonyms but neither of them is even involved in this fake-kerfufle.

Unless you want to point to the Liberal concept of free speech versus the authoritarian one of shutting it down. If that's where you're going --- that's exactly it.

I do that on purpose because the line between the two is pretty much an illusion.

The Far Left seems to ALWAYS support the liberals when push comes to shove and visa versa.

For example the liberals on this site that have voiced strong opposition to Antifa's brown shirt tactics, I can count on one hand, while the braying mob in support of them is legion.

POLL: What should the punishment be for protesting football players?

Ask Trump. He seems to really be on top of things.

21762038_10211491157288803_7531662840455249081_n.jpg

That certainly explains the dumbfounded look on her face.

Maybe he thought that was Michelle O'bama standing next to him.

2009 isn't the first time an NFL team stood for the national anthem. From what I can gather, that's just when it became a requirement for teams to be on the field during the anthem. They weren't prevented from doing so before. FACT CHECK: Why Are NFL Players on the Sidelines for the National Anthem?

I've never claimed players were "prevented from" being on the field so this is a strawman.

Also, it may not be so much that players weren't on the field or standing for the anthem, but that in the past, networks often did not broadcast the anthem. Here's an example: National anthem gets in the game That is from just after 9/11. The author indicates that broadcasting the anthem was not a regular thing for multiple leagues, including the NFL.

Correct. I no longer have TV but the football games I remember watching from the beginning never featured a national anthem on the broadcast. I had presumed in the past from that that the game event didn't have one, which would be the sensible assumption since it has nothing to do with a football game and would have no valid reason to be there.

What's not sensible is that they do it at baseball games, including the broadcast. What's even less sensible is that immediately after they do, a game begins played by Dominicans and Cubans and Japanese and Australians and Koreans and Panamanians and Mexicans and Antilleans and Colombians and Canadians and Venezuelans and Taiwanese and there's a South African out there and a Russian in the works ---- and none of their anthems are played unless the game happens to be in Canada. And then for an even weirder twist, if the game IS in Canada .... they're still playing the US national anthem. In Canada. Which makes playing O Canada an imperative.

Here's one from last year, complaining about networks blacking out the anthem: Talk is cheap when networks play ads instead of airing anthem

I'm sure ads make more money. Complaining about capitalism in favor of watching robots just for the purpose of acquiescing to the PC-robot mentality is a bit ironic I must say. I always thought it was a point of superiority that the NFL didn't muddle up its broadcast with an irrelevant national anthem. To me the question was not why isn't the NFL broadcast showing it, but why IS the baseball broadcast doing it?

The anthem is played for the country a team is from. When teams are from different countries, as happens often in hockey, the anthems of the the two countries are both played. It doesn't have to do with the nationality of individual players.

That's true for the Olympics. But if that were the rationale then at baseball games we should also be sitting through the national anthems of the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Australia, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Canada, Panama, Curaçao and if the Pirates are playing, South Africa. Makes no sense.

What if there's a Panamanian on the team but he's not in the starting lineup, but then in the 7th inning he's called into the game? Do we leave his anthem alone until he's called in and then everything has to stop?

My team has at least two Canadians on it, yet I never hear O Canada unless we go to Toronto. And I never hear the DR, Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela or Korea, which are all on the team too, even though in a given game they might make up more than half the starting lineup. Makes no sense.

Because it has no reason to be there, plain and simple. If there was a 99-year "tradition" of everybody in the stands whacking themselves in the face with a two-by-four before the first pitch, there would be no argument whatsoever to standing up and declaring, "hey, this makes no sense".

From what I've read, the tradition of playing the anthem before games mostly began during WWI and really became a big thing during WWII. It was supposedly a combination of patriotism because of the wars, and technology allowing it to be done easily; there was no need for an actual band.

Your timeline is correct. The bottom line being, there's no need for an actual anthem. 1918 was the first time it was done, an infamous period of shameless mob mentality that brought lynchings and race riots, the Palmer Raids, people getting tossed in jail for refusing to kiss a flag, and even Dachshunds ripped from their owners and stoned to death in the street simply because the name "Dachshund" is German. That's the danger of mob mentality, and that's why I'm vehemently opposed to it.

Now if the anthem has an actual function in the event--- say it's a military function, or an Olympic event, then it has a reason to be there. Absent that reason all it is is an exercise in cultivating a mob mentality. And that's never a good thing.

My point regarding the NFL from the beginning of the post is that, from what I've read, teams did often go out and stand during the anthem before 2009. They simply weren't shown doing so by the networks. 2009 is just the time the NFL made it mandatory for teams to be on the field (although not mandatory to stand).

Correct again ---- whether shown on TV or not, prior to 2009 players were in the locker room when the anthem was played because it just wasn't an issue, just as prior to whenever it was that some media wag happened to notice Colin Kaepernick sitting through the NA and figure he could milk a story out of it as long as nobody looked into it logically --- he had already done several times without making any waves about it and it wasn't an issue either.

It became a 'thing' for players to be on the field during the NA when the Pentagon started pimping for fake patriotism. And the pitfall of that shouldn't need to be explained, is already illegal, and was the subject of a Senate investigation two years ago. The NFL in response sent some three-quarters of a million bucks of that taxpayer money back to -- at least the government, if not the taxpayers.

None of that means a player was prohibited from the field during the NA. It simply means that those who try to present this NA thing as some venerable tradition are full of proverbial shit.

I'm not sure how you misread my post. The national anthem is played for the nation a TEAM is from, not for the nations individual players may be from. MLB teams are from only 2 nations, the United States and Canada. Therefore, those are the only 2 anthems that would be played.

I also have read that teams did NOT all stay in the locker room prior to 2009. Teams did, in fact, come out and stand on the sidelines during the anthem.

Players did not always stay in the locker room prior to 2009. That is simply untrue. Here, let me provide a few clips of anthems being broadcast in non-SB games prior to 2009 with players on the field:

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think those are even playoff games. It may not have been usual, but teams certainly did come out to the field for the anthem at least some of the time prior to 2009. It just wasn't a required thing.

The mandate may well have been a marketing thing for the NFL, but the idea that NFL players were always in the locker room during the national anthem prior to 2009 is demonstrably false. I'm not sure how to determine how often teams may have stayed in the locker room during the anthem, other than perhaps going through archival NFL footage. :p

Again you're inserting points I never made. I did not say every team always without exception absolutely didn't dare venture on to the field during the NA, nor did I say they were prohibited from doing so. Again you seem to be inventing your own argument so you can knock it down.

You said, "prior to 2009, players were in the locker room when the anthem was played," then went on to explain why. That can certainly be construed to mean that all players were in the locker room during the anthem prior to 2009. I don't even know if staying in the locker room during the anthem was more common than being on the field prior to it becoming mandatory.

And I'm still not sure why you brought up the nationalities of individual players regarding which countries' anthems get played. :dunno:

We finally have a president who isn't afraid to speak for the millions of people who think the NFL is being disrespectful. :)

You said, "prior to 2009, players were in the locker room when the anthem was played," then went on to explain why. That can certainly be construed to mean that all players were in the locker room during the anthem prior to 2009. I don't even know if staying in the locker room during the anthem was more common than being on the field prior to it becoming mandatory.

And I'm still not sure why you brought up the nationalities of individual players regarding which countries' anthems get played. :dunno:

It's just one more (set of) reason(s) the NA song and dance makes no sense before a baseball game.
It would be pointless enough if all the players and coaches were USian, but they're not

Ever notice Japanese fans camped out to watch Ichiro? Or Venezuelans? If a national anthem can be rationalized into being played --- it can't but if it could --- then allllll those countries' anthems should have to be played too. A team after all is made up of.... Dominicans, Cubans, Japanese, etc etc etc etc. along with the USians. When Ichiro does something memorable it's followed and lauded in Japan. And so on. Whether intentionally or not they're "representing" their homeland, so "where the team is based" is kind of pointless.

Hell the Toronto Blue Jays are based in Canada and without even looking them up I'll venture to say it's not made up of Canadians.

These are all exercises to demonstrate how pointless it is. For example --- should we play the Canaian national anthem at Washington Nationals games? They did after all move there from Canada :rolleyes:

Not saying we should do that, or that we should play the Dominican, Cuban, Panamanian etc etc anthems either. I'm saying it makes no sense to play any of them.

This is an added edit-- I had to watch an at-bat in a baseball game. Good game, it's the Venezuelan-Korean-Canadians against the Cuban-Japanese-Australians. :tongue:

Last edited:
We finally have a president who isn't afraid to speak for the millions of people who think the NFL is being disrespectful. :)

........ and yet can't explain how.
What's there to explain?

--- see what I mean?

This is the first I have heard some one pretend to be confused about HOW the players are disrespecting the Flag, the nation it stands for, and it's proud citizens.

What's there to explain?

--- see what I mean?

This is the first I have heard some one pretend to be confused about HOW the players are disrespecting the Flag, the nation it stands for, and it's proud citizens.
Pogo isn't too smucking fart. Take a look at some of the other nonsense he's posted. lol

What's there to explain?

--- see what I mean?

This is the first I have heard some one pretend to be confused about HOW the players are disrespecting the Flag, the nation it stands for, and it's [sic] proud citizens.

And another one chimes in demonstrating that the question can't be answered.

:dig:

I love making pretzels.

It's just so easy. They twist themselves.

A store here close to me in TN posted on FB that they have pulled products that endorse the NFL. They pulled Pepsi and a couple others.

-Geaux
And do you think Pepsi gives a shit about some Podunk backwoods rednecks not having Pepsi for their cousin-wives?

Okay, yes, another thread on this, sue me.

Let's get specific on what should not be done to players who kneel or sit or dance or sleep or do yoga during the national anthem. Please pick and explain.

My answer was "No punishment". If the team is okay with it, so am I.
Why should there be punishment for exercising your Constitutional right?

For the thousandth fucking time, the Constitution protects your right to free speech from GOVERNMENT INFRINGEMENT...your boss can still fire you for making an impassioned protest ON COMPANY TIME!
But they're not interested in firing them! Especially not because some bedwetting snowflakes are throwing a hissy-fit.

Without the players they have no product to sell.

And "company time" starts when the whistle blows.

Forum List

Back