POLL: Let's try a COVID compromise, shall we?

Do you agree with this Free Market COVID Compromise?

• 1. Yes. This is a fair compromise.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • 2. No. This is not a fair compromise.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • 3. I don't want to answer. I just want to complain about the thread.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Double meat thin crust pizza.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Its not a "compromise" at all. Its just an effort to push vaccines through charging extra to people who don't get the dam thing and expecting payment "up front" from those who don't.

It would be a "compromise" if you charged those who do get vaccines for their ICU bills at an inflated rate if they suffer ill effects from their shots. Although it would still be stupid.

Democrats can't just get vaccinated and not worry about what you do. Leftists have to be in your face

2. Any hospital is free to (a) put voluntarily non-vaccinated COVID patients on a lower priority for both ICUs and private rooms so that regular patients with other problems can be served as they should be,
What a croc of shit.

How about putting smokers on lower priority? Fat people? Homos with AIDS?
After all “they did it to themselves”, right?

I've changed my opinion over the last week on vaccinations. There are clearly a lot of people who, for their own reasons, are going to refuse to get vaccinated. There's not a damn thing I can do about that, so I'm just trying to deal with reality here. So to make this as clear as I can:

1. I support your right to not get vaccinated.
2. I am against forcing you to get vaccinated.

There. Nice and clear. I figure the only way to get past this mess is to either get vaccinated or get sick and develop an immunity that way, if you don't die. I'll look at it like a controlled burn, where you just get rid of the wasted underbrush. Fine. We can all move on now. And, I won't even ask you to not spread this virus, especially to kids, since we're now seeing an increase in hospitalizations there. I know that asking you to at least be careful for them is an "attack" on your "freedom" and "liberty", and we all know how you feel about THAT.

There. You are free to exercise your freedom and your liberty, and the rest of us will get off your backs. In exchange, I will propose this fully free market compromise:

1. Any business is free to install and enforce mask mandates to protect their employees and patrons. If you don't like that, you are free to exercise your free market rights and shop at their competition.
2. Any hospital is free to (a) put voluntarily non-vaccinated COVID patients on a lower priority for both ICUs and private rooms so that regular patients with other problems can be served as they should be, and (b) charge whatever extra COVID fees they feel are appropriate, whether it is upon admission, on a daily basis, or both. In cash. Up front. A fully free market solution.

Can we agree? Vaxxers? Anti-Vaxxers?

2 probably violates several tenets of medical ethics unless actual triage is warranted by the conditions.

I've changed my opinion over the last week on vaccinations. There are clearly a lot of people who, for their own reasons, are going to refuse to get vaccinated. There's not a damn thing I can do about that, so I'm just trying to deal with reality here. So to make this as clear as I can:

There. Nice and clear. I figure the only way to get past this mess is to either get vaccinated or get sick and develop an immunity that way, if you don't die. I'll look at it like a controlled burn, where you just get rid of the wasted underbrush. Fine. We can all move on now. And, I won't even ask you to not spread this virus, especially to kids, since we're now seeing an increase in hospitalizations there. I know that asking you to at least be careful for them is an "attack" on your "freedom" and "liberty", and we all know how you feel about THAT.

There. You are free to exercise your freedom and your liberty, and the rest of us will get off your backs. In exchange, I will propose this fully free market compromise:

1. Any business is free to install and enforce mask mandates to protect their employees and patrons. If you don't like that, you are free to exercise your free market rights and shop at their competition.
2. Any hospital is free to (a) put voluntarily non-vaccinated COVID patients on a lower priority for both ICUs and private rooms so that regular patients with other problems can be served as they should be, and (b) charge whatever extra COVID fees they feel are appropriate, whether it is upon admission, on a daily basis, or both. In cash. Up front. A fully free market solution.

I would LOVE for there to be a free market solution to everything.

The problem (which you know good and goddamn well is a fact) is that GOVERNMENT uses it's power and influence to pressure and/or entice businesses to do GOVERNMENT's bidding.

But, if you are going to let the free market decide and let businesses do as they see fit, why not let them have complete freedom? Repeal PA laws too.

My point was no one should worry about mandates or who is being vaccinated. Everyone can spread this. Mandates are nonsensical

That's my whole point. Get vaccinated and then stop worrying about who is vaccinated. That's what I did.

If you're at risk then GET VACCINATED and stop worrying about what other people do

Agree with 1.

As for #2, as someone who works in a hospital...

We're hegemonic. We write off, probably, millions of dollars in unpaid bills ever year. Its one of the reasons, I'm convinced--I base this only on my suspicions, that your bill is so high. We have to get what money we can from the insured to make up for all of the charity that goes out of our door. We make a good buck...don't get me wrong...but every hospital from the scuzziest county hospital to Cedars makes the same calculation to a certain degree.

So your idea of segregating people based on their choices is a no-go. What do we do with fat people who don't exercise and eat too much? Do we treat them differently because they made what are poor lifestyle choices relative to their healthcare? I bet those romantic ribeye steak dinners were incredible experiences; unforgettable. My late spouse and I had several of them and I remember many of them well. But from a healthcare standpoint; they are poor decisions.

This may not be the response you were going for but it's there.

What if Wells Fargo decided that you have to get vaccinated before you can work there or come in and do your banking (yes I know 99.9% can be done electronically but there are folks who don't do it that way and there are some things you have to do in person)? Are you for or against WF making your get vaccinated as an employee or an account holder?
How far are you willing to allow WF to be free in their hiring practices or their public accommodations?

This is exactly what I am talking about. You want to force businesses to hire and accommodate when YOU see fit, but you will let them do as they will when it does not affect you.

The only principles I can see here is "do what I want or die."

Agree with 1.

We're hegemonic. We write off, probably, millions of dollars in unpaid bills ever year. Its one of the reasons, I'm convinced--I base this only on my suspicions, that your bill is so high. We have to get what money we can from the insured to make up for all of the charity that goes out of our door. We make a good buck...don't get me wrong...but every hospital from the scuzziest county hospital to Cedars makes the same calculation to a certain degree.

So your idea of segregating people based on their choices is a no-go. What do we do with fat people who don't exercise and eat too much? Do we treat them differently because they made what are poor lifestyle choices relative to their healthcare? I bet those romantic ribeye steak dinners were incredible experiences; unforgettable. My late spouse and I had several of them and I remember many of them well. But from a healthcare standpoint; they are poor decisions.

Hospital billing is a game created by government. Those bills are fantasy land for several reasons. Our medical industry is a lot of things, but one of the things it has nothing to do with is a free market.

In any free market, walk in with cash and ask for a discount and they'll give it to you. Walk in with cash to a medical provider and they will charge you 10 times as much.

Democrats: Government fucked up medical care, we need a better solution, more government!

How far are you willing to allow WF to be free in their hiring practices or their public accommodations?

This is exactly what I am talking about. You want to force businesses to hire and accommodate when YOU see fit, but you will let them do as they will when it does not affect you.

The only principles I can see here is "do what I want or die."

PA should only exist for government or government created monopolies. If there is for example one gas company, they should not be able to deny you service if you pay your bills. But PA laws in actual markets are useless for all purposes other than as an excuse for government to control markets through threats and intimidation

Any hospital is free to (a) put voluntarily non-vaccinated COVID patients on a lower priority
Are they free to put the fat asses on a lower priority too, since they are the ones who are the real problem?

OP can be summed up as:
“I fully support you not getting vaccinated, because I support businesses and public works discriminating against you because I’m a flaming fascist.”

People who were vaccinated and feel invulnerable should understand that they can still come down with the disease and pass it on to others. Tell me what benefit vaccinations are again?

Agree with 1.

I appreciate your honest response here.

Unhinged hyperbole is fun!

Now, let's go kill some kids and granny for fun!

Are they free to put the fat asses on a lower priority too, since they are the ones who are the real problem?

As long as left wing politicians have the highest priority, Democrats are fine with that.

Democrats are against having a class system, and since left wing politicians create that classless system they must be exempted from it.

Hey, wait, I just realized ...

Forum List

Back