Politics and Religion

Belief in God is not the same thing as religion. Belief in God is personal, religion is cultural. If you want to mix the two expect other religions to try and get in on the act. Sharia Law could become the law in certain areas of the US where Muslims are a majority. There are conflicts in NY where orthodox Jews are a majority. Are you OK with those or is Christianity the only religion that should be mixed with politics?
Even under Christianity, there's so many different denominations, which one will prevail? Or which ones?

Should we follow 'Jehovah's Witness' doctrine, that doesn't allow for blood transfusions, so who knows how many people will die as a result of it.

How about Mormon doctrine? Should that govern the land?
The Jehovah Witnesses have publish a copy of the Bible, called the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION which is anything but. It is absolutely slanted to favor their own biases. They do not respect any other denomination apart from their own. The very same can be said concerning the MORMONS, who introduced books and doctrines supposedly found, entirely "translated", and then printed by them and copyrighted by them and controlled by them along with secret rituals. They both see everyone else as heretics and lost. THEY ARE CULTS.

By contrast most other denominations see each other as spiritually brothers in Christ with few exceptions. Yes, some groups are more Bible based than others. Some value certain rituals differently. HOWEVER, HISTORICALLY they definitely see JESUS as the Messiah/CHRIST, born to a VIRGIN, who shed HIS blood on the cross, and having arose from the dead to save that which was lost... The fundamental difference is primarily due to nationality and founder of the particular denomination. Reform, Lutheran, Mennonite, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Bible, Pentecostal, etc...

I suggest that you find a Bible --- The King James version is very adequate. You many even wish to do a comparison with another translation. I'd also suggest a STRONG's Concordance to help in one's understanding. Actually, most JEWS find evangelicals generally supportive of Israel. And again historically, JEWS were not the one's who had a problem with either a CHRISTMAS Program/Party (with the singing of CHRISTMAS carols) and the reading of the Psalms and Proverbs during the opening exercises in Public Schools across the United States (if not the WORLD). The problem was fostered primarily by an ATHEIST --- who eventually unfortunately was murdered by someone that was trusted.

Belief in God is not the same thing as religion. Belief in God is personal, religion is cultural. If you want to mix the two expect other religions to try and get in on the act. Sharia Law could become the law in certain areas of the US where Muslims are a majority. There are conflicts in NY where orthodox Jews are a majority. Are you OK with those or is Christianity the only religion that should be mixed with politics?
Even under Christianity, there's so many different denominations, which one will prevail? Or which ones?

Should we follow 'Jehovah's Witness' doctrine, that doesn't allow for blood transfusions, so who knows how many people will die as a result of it.

The Jehovah Witnesses have publish a copy of the Bible, called the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION which is anything but. It is absolutely slanted to favor their own biases. They do not respect any other denomination apart from their own. The very same can be said concerning the MORMONS, who introduced books and doctrines supposedly found, entirely "translated", and then printed by them and copyrighted by them and controlled by them along with secret rituals. They both see everyone else as heretics and lost. THEY ARE CULTS.

By contrast most other denominations see each other as spiritually brothers in Christ with few exceptions. Yes, some groups are more Bible based than others. Some value certain rituals differently. HOWEVER, HISTORICALLY they definitely see JESUS as the Messiah/CHRIST, born to a VIRGIN, who shed HIS blood on the cross, and having arose from the dead to save that which was lost... The fundamental difference is primarily due to nationality and founder of the particular denomination. Reform, Lutheran, Mennonite, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Bible, Pentecostal, etc...

I suggest that you find a Bible --- The King James version is very adequate. You many even wish to do a comparison with another translation. I'd also suggest a STRONG's Concordance to help in one's understanding. Actually, most JEWS find evangelicals generally supportive of Israel. And again historically, JEWS were not the one's who had a problem with either a CHRISTMAS Program/Party (with the singing of CHRISTMAS carols) and the reading of the Psalms and Proverbs during the opening exercises in Public Schools across the United States (if not the WORLD). The problem was fostered primarily by an ATHEIST --- who eventually unfortunately was murdered by someone that was trusted.
I'm an atheist who loves to celebrate Xmas. It's a fun holiday and if people want to put mangers on their lawn and lights on their homes, more (electric) power to them. If most people in this country are Xian and want to close their stores on Xmas, fine, I can live without shopping for a day or two. You can even put the 10 commandments in a courthouse, doesn't bother me. All I ask is that you don't force your religion on my kids or me.

Christianity has evolved over time, as everything does, but there were centuries of open warfare between Christian denominations (can you say Reformation?).

I'm an atheist who loves to celebrate Xmas. It's a fun holiday and if people want to put mangers on their lawn and lights on their homes, more (electric) power to them. If most people in this country are Xian and want to close their stores on Xmas, fine, I can live without shopping for a day or two. You can even put the 10 commandments in a courthouse, doesn't bother me. All I ask is that you don't force your religion on my kids or me.

Christianity has evolved over time, as everything does, but there were centuries of open warfare between Christian denominations (can you say Reformation?).
I believe the issue may arise when your children ask, "Who is Jesus?" and "What will become of me when I die?" Such questions may not arise where there is no exposure to such influences. And so some narrow-minded people try to eliminate the influence to eliminate the questions. However, one would have to be very hard to honestly say, "Well, when you die you will cease to exist and be forgotten." That is unless one really doesn't want to accept that and just rather not think about such things until the time arises...

Everything you posted I was already aware of.

So we can put a Koran in a our courthouses then?

I believe the issue may arise when your children ask, "Who is Jesus?" and "What will become of me when I die?" Such questions may not arise where there is no exposure to such influences. And so some narrow-minded people try to eliminate the influence to eliminate the questions. However, one would have to be very hard to honestly say, "Well, when you die you will cease to exist and be forgotten." That is unless one really doesn't want to accept that and just rather not think about such things until the time arises...
Jesus was an historical figure who has had a tremendous impact on Western civilization. As such, to not include him and his adherents in a discussion of history is a problem. The question of "What will become of me when I die?" is not historical or scientific but it is appropriate when comparing various religions.

So we can put a Koran in a our courthouses then?
I find the Koran impenetrable but the calligraphy generally used is truly a work of art. I'd have no problem with a few passages appropriate to a court of law.

You can even put the 10 commandments in a courthouse, doesn't bother me. All I ask is that you don't force your religion on my kids or me.
Yeah, no. That is practically the definition of having someone's religion forced upon you and your kids. Before you testify in that courthouse, be sure to swear to tell the whole truth, so help you god1, god2, god3,..

Bear in mind that trials take place in courthouses. Juries comprised of people from varied backgrounds are tasked with making potentially life and death decisions while staring at that. You really don't want me on that wall!

Last edited:
You can even put the 10 commandments in a courthouse, doesn't bother me. All I ask is that you don't force your religion on my kids or me.
Yeah, no. That is practically the definition of having someone's religion forced upon you and your kids. Before you testify in that courthouse, be sure to swear to tell the whole truth, so help you god1, god2, god3,..

Bear in mind that trials take place in courthouses. Juries comprised of people from varied backgrounds are tasked with making potentially life and death decisions while staring at that. You really don't want me on that wall!
Really? Which of the commandments do you have a problem with?

all 10, their authenticity -

etched tablets from the Almighty never existed and were not handed to moses and he did not destroy them. the ones used are forgeries for a political objective disguised as a religion - christianity and have no basis for display in a public facility for purposes other than examples of fantasy.

So jurors should consider such ethics fantastic? Tied to some particular religious affiliation?

So jurors should consider such ethics fantastic? Tied to some particular religious affiliation?
You underestimate people, we are very good at ignoring any information we don't want.
Given our discussion on climate change and your inability to state the problem and solution in simple terms, I about fell out of my chair when I read this.
I hope you're unhurt. If you expect simple answers to complex problems you should invest in seat belts.

one would have to be very hard to honestly say, "Well, when you die you will cease to exist and be forgotten." That is unless one really doesn't want to accept that and just rather not think about such things until the time arises...
No, one would have to be very dishonest. We observe "cycles of life" but prefer glossing over the icky recycling bits, especially in regard to our species. We really don't tell any kid that their pet turtle just ceased to exist and will be forgotten -- unless cruelty, insensitivity, and inaccuracy is our goal. Like the turtle, like Jesus too, we live on in the memories and writings of others.

Religion needs ethics far more than ethics need a religion. Those in power need religion. Those without require ethics.

Last edited:
You underestimate people, we are very good at ignoring any information we don't want.
Given our discussion on climate change and your inability to state the problem and solution in simple terms, I about fell out of my chair when I read this.
I hope you're unhurt. If you expect simple answers to complex problems you should invest in seat belts.
You had simple facts staring you in you face and you have yet to acknowledge the problem and solution. There is nothing complex about where population growth and carbon emission growth is coming from. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Forum List

Back