Pelosi Comments of William Jefferson

it wasn't his fault......Honest:eusa_liar:

It was another example of the vast right wing conspiracy

The video is fake, Rove planted the money in his freezer, and it is an attempt to divert the attention of the public from the Iraq war and the sinking US economy

Republicans are so quick to condemn Democrats without waiting for the trial and they are so quick to explain away the failures of Republicans. Yet, the same can be said for Democrats. They try to protect their own while being quick to persecute Republicans. In either case, I’ll wait for the trial to commence.

Good points, we've become a scapegoat nation and lack integrity. When we mess up stand up and admit it instead of wasting the people’s time with trials to either cover up or prove they didn’t do something they really may have done.

Republicans are so quick to condemn Democrats without waiting for the trial and they are so quick to explain away the failures of Republicans. Yet, the same can be said for Democrats. They try to protect their own while being quick to persecute Republicans. In either case, I’ll wait for the trial to commence.

Pot? Meet kettle.....

Pelosis HAS said publicly if he is guilty he should go to jail and has ,as I understand it started procedures to strip him of his position of power on any committees.

This thread is a red herring.

Republicans are on the defensive. They've been weathering a 7 year shit storm brought on by Bush, his broken promises, a miserably mismanaged war, false statements, bloated intelligence reports, an inability to capture a 6 foot plus Saudi who requires dialysis, failure to secure our borders, stem illegal immigration, so they sieze any opportunity to smack around the opposition. Gotta love the partisan politics we have these days. Fuck the people, keep your job. Of course the Dems haven't done much better, but they're not in the White House, someone once said that's where the buck stops.

What were Pelosi's remarks when Cunningham was convicted?

In a written statement, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, said the case "is just the latest example of the culture of corruption that pervades the Republican-controlled Congress, which ignores the needs of the American people to serve wealthy special interests and their cronies."

So, is Jefferson just the latest example of the culture of corruption that pervades the Democrat-controlled Congress, which ignores the needs of the American people to serve themselves and their cronies?

Yes he is !

Now go tally how many Rs have been convicted ,are under investigation, indicted and have had to resign office due to wrongdoing and you will find a long list of Rs and a much shorter list of Ds.

Yes he is !

Now go tally how many Rs have been convicted ,are under investigation, indicted and have had to resign office due to wrongdoing and you will find a long list of Rs and a much shorter list of Ds.

June 4, 2007: Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., indicted on federal charges of racketeering, soliciting bribes and money laundering in a long-running bribery investigation into business deals he tried to broker in Africa.

Jan. 19, 2007: Former Rep. Bob Ney of Ohio, sentenced to 2 1/2 years in federal prison for trading political favors for gifts and campaign donations from lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

March 3, 2006: Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham of California, sentenced to eight years and four months in prison. He collected $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes in a corruption scheme.

Oct. 3, 2005: Former Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas, charged with felony, money laundering and conspiracy in connection with Republican fundraising efforts in 2002. The case is stalled awaiting a state appeals court decision on whether to reinstate the conspiracy charge.

Aug. 29, 2003: Rep. William Janklow, R-S.D., charged with felony second-degree manslaughter and three misdemeanors after his car struck and killed a motorcyclist. He was convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 100 days in prison.

May 4, 2001: Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of tax evasion, bribery, racketeering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to eight years in prison after being convicted of racketeering and accepting bribes.

May 31, 1994: Rep. Dan Rostenkowski, D-Ill., accused in a 17-count indictment of using taxpayer money to purchase gifts for friends. He was also charged with exchanging taxpayer-provided stamps for cash at the House Post Office and paying congressional salaries to employees who did personal chores for him. Rostenkowski pleaded guilty in 1996 to two felony mail fraud counts and served 15 months in a minimum security prison.

Sept. 27, 1993: Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, indicted by a federal grand jury in Austin, Texas, on three counts of official misconduct and two counts of tampering with evidence to impede an investigation. On Jan. 6, 1994, a new indictment accused her of misuse of Treasury employees, using computers for personal and political purposes and altering computer archives. On Feb. 11, 1994, a judge ordered her acquittal after the district attorney refused to present his case until the judge agreed to rule on the admissibility of certain key evidence.

April 2, 1993: Sen. David F. Durenberger, R-Minn., indicted by a federal grand jury in Washington on two criminal charges of conspiring to file fraudulent claims for Senate reimbursement of $3,825 in lodging expenses during 1987 and 1988. The indictment was dismissed. After new charges stemming from a similar indictment, Durenberger pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of converting public funds to his personal use. He was sentenced to one year of probation and a $1,000 fine.

May 5, 1992: Rep. Joseph M. McDade, R-Pa., indicted on charges of racketeering, conspiracy and accepting illegal gratuities. McDade was acquitted in 1996.

Aug. 2, 1990: Rep. Floyd Flake, D-N.Y., and his wife, Margaret, indicted on 17 federal counts including fraud, conspiracy and tax evasion. The New York City U.S. Attorney's office alleged that Flake had embezzled funds from a senior citizens project and misused money from his church. The government dropped all charges on April 3, 1991, after a judge ruled that the use of church funds was proper.

April 24, 1987: Rep. Harold Ford Sr., D-Tenn., indicted on federal charges of bank, tax and mail fraud regarding his ties to the Butcher brothers, prominent Tennessee bankers and speculators. Ford's first trial ended in a hung jury on April 27, 1990. He was acquitted in 1993 following two trials.

Oct. 30, 1980: Sen. Harrison A. Williams Jr., D-N.J., indicted in the Abscam scandal on charges of corruption, for taking money in return for obtaining a government contract. He was later convicted and sentenced to three years in prison, of which he served 21 months. Other Abscam indictments: Rep. Michael Myers, D-Pa., convicted of bribery and conspiracy and sentenced to three years in prison; Rep. Raymond Lederer, D-Pa., convicted of conspiracy, influence peddling and bribery and sentenced to one year; Rep. John Jenrette, D-S.C., convicted of bribery and conspiracy and sentenced to two years; Rep. Frank Thompson, D-N.J., convicted of influence peddling and bribery and sentenced to three years; Rep. John Murphy, D-N.Y., convicted of influence peddling and bribery and sentenced to three years.

A selected list of U.S. senators and representatives who have been charged with crimes since 1980

Courtesy of the U.S. Senate Historical Office, the U.S. House of Representatives Office of the Clerk and Associated Press.

I have yet to notice anyone mention the presumption of innocence that is the bedrock of American jurisprudence. Pelosi's comments about Cunningham were after his "conviction", I believe. Jefferson has not been convicted of anything. He has been indicted. When he is convicted, and I have little doubt that he will be, I will condemn him as strongly as I would condemn any public official who violated the people's trust.

why did you go for a selected list?

Honestly, because I am at work and it was the quickest list I could find. It seems that the indictment of Jefferson inspired the AP to write an article yesterday, it looks as if they chose just the highlights. Looks like the Dems had their heyday back in the '80s, the Repubs are just catching up, LOL.

Truthfully, IMO both parties are, with a few exceptions, dirty. I willingly acknowledge this. I don't trust either side of the aisle. It feels like all they care about is keeping their cushy jobs, getting rich, getting each other, and getting re-elected. They seem to have the impression that the practice of "gotchya politics" makes us all believe they are actually accomplishing something up there on the Hill. Well, I for one am not impressed nor am I fooled by their Tom foolery.

• Thanks
Reactions: 90K
No system is perfect and we have to elect someone.

My point is the Dem party had too much control for too long arround thrity years ago.

The R party has caught up and surpassed whta the Dems did long ago.

The R party HAS to be thrown out on their ears or will will get nothing but the same in the future.

The last time we had a fiscal responsibility of any measure was with a Dem congress and a dem president.

The GAO and the CBO both agreed that the major reason we had the budget surpluses in the 1990s was the 1993 BRA voted into being without a single R vote(they fought it tooth and nail).

We had peace ,we kept terror at bay,the world loved us,we had a good ecnomy which was shared by all levels of income we even stopped a genicide and then got the hell out of the country and left it to its people.

I want my county to look more like that country then the one we now have.

This is why I vote democratic.

Results not bullshit.

Forum List

Back