Open letter published to fight "Cancel Culture"

I can't believe you have argued this issue many times before, as you claimed. It seems to me you never have.

I noted I addressed all the issues that get asked over and over here already.

The NFL is doing absolutely fine. J.K. is doing absolutely fine (as you note).

BTW were you among those calling for a ban on the NFL? (I can look it up)

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

e111c1c11d4b5b9aaed63b03a4da25bb.jpg
So you are no longer Dem leaning???

Greg
He's DEM SOLID

Don't let his game bullshit you. He claimed to LOATHE Hillary but still voted for her.

I like Mac but he's as fake as a 3 dollar bill
In Normal World, you would conclude that I voted for candidate A, even if I didn't care much for them, because I liked candidate B even less. Gee. Brilliant.

You just don't like the fact that I'm not an obedient, tribal partisan sheep, that I think for myself and don't follow your rules. Sorry. Some of us can do that.
In a normal world people vote their conscience since there are a plethora of candidates to suit each position on the ballot every time.

You claim all the time to be above the duopoly but just proved again you are playing their game.

Good job Mac
I don't claim to be above anything. These words exist in your mind only.

I wish you guys could actually quote me instead of making stuff up.
You are CONSTANTLY deriding partisans and you just admitted to voting for partisan reasons.
I wanted to vote third party, but I knew I had to vote against Trumpism.

It's always funny when wingers say I think I'm above something. Meanwhile, you guys think that YOU and your tribe have all the answers, and that the OTHER tribe is stupid and evil.

Above it all? Look in the mirror.
I'm a winger now?

I noted I addressed all the issues that get asked over and over here already.
As I have acknowledged.
I just can't believe how poorly you have addressed them. You haven't mentioned one thing
that would make me change my mind.

The NFL is doing absolutely fine. J.K. is doing absolutely fine (as you note).
Sure thing, Debate King. The NFL is doing great! The Decline Of Football Is Real And It’s Accelerating
:icon_rolleyes:

BTW were you among those calling for a ban on the NFL? (I can look it up)
Yes. Please do conduct a search for my opinion. How long are you planning on looking?
I have said, as for myself, I am entirely through with the NFL after watching less and less of the circus
in the past few years.
In fact let me paraphrase myself and save you the work: I said the NFL can go to hell and they can take
ESPN and Nike with them.

That;s not a ban, Socrates! That's me giving my personal opinion of a rotting old tree that should be
cut down and thrown on the fire of American culture. Knock yourself out.

Physician heal thyself.
Okay. Question asked and answered....you don't know the difference between a ban and someone's own personal opinion. I am unsurprised. You are dumber than a bucket of pig shit!

J.K. was pissed because the people who worked in the movies based upon her books stated their opinions she was wrong.

She complained about "public shaming" or in other words, people telling her that she was wrong.

Nothing more than what you do with the NFL.

J.K. was pissed because the people who worked in the movies based upon her books stated their opinions she was wrong.

She complained about "public shaming" or in other words, people telling her that she was wrong.

Goal posts moved! Subject changed. Defeat tacitly acknowledged. You don't learn very well and there is a difference between not liking what JK Rowling said at one time and calling for a boycott of her books.
Wise up, moron!

Last edited:

Goal posts moved! Subject changed. Defeat tacitly acknowledged.
Oh look, Eric is declaring victory again. This must be a thursday.

Goal posts moved! Subject changed. Defeat tacitly acknowledged. You don't learn very well and there is a difference between not liking what JK Rowling said at one time and calling for a boycott of her books.
Wise up, moron!

J.K. is the one who complained about "Public Shaming". She never said the made up phrase "cancel culture".

new set of moral attitudes and political commitments” that tended to weaken norms of open debate and tolerance of different views, with a “vogue for public shaming and ostracism”.

Some of the ideas may be new but people have been called out for centuries.

She is complaining about being "publicly shamed". Others moved.the goal post to "cancel culture".

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

Greg
He's DEM SOLID

Don't let his game bullshit you. He claimed to LOATHE Hillary but still voted for her.

In Normal World, you would conclude that I voted for candidate A, even if I didn't care much for them, because I liked candidate B even less. Gee. Brilliant.

You just don't like the fact that I'm not an obedient, tribal partisan sheep, that I think for myself and don't follow your rules. Sorry. Some of us can do that.
In a normal world people vote their conscience since there are a plethora of candidates to suit each position on the ballot every time.

You claim all the time to be above the duopoly but just proved again you are playing their game.

Good job Mac

You are CONSTANTLY deriding partisans and you just admitted to voting for partisan reasons.

It's always funny when wingers say I think I'm above something. Meanwhile, you guys think that YOU and your tribe have all the answers, and that the OTHER tribe is stupid and evil.

I'm a winger now?
If you're not, you should know the value of thinking for yourself, and not playing the game.

If I've ever contradicted myself, show it. Otherwise, my opposition to Trump doesn't make me fake.

You used the word "fake", not me. Back it up.

Obviously there are people who don't see a distinction between (a) disagreeing verbally with someone and (b) actively working to punish them for their words.

My question is: Do they REALLY not see the distinction, or are they CHOOSING not to see the distinction?

It's a choice. Lots of people like to just whistle on past the graveyard these days.
It's difficult for me to imagine that they're not lying.

Any honest person can see the difference between disagreeing verbally and punishing/shutting down/intimidating.

The people who signed the letter in the OP, and the quotes I've provided from Obama, Warren, Sanders, Rushdie, Chomsky and Harris demonstrate that. This is all quite obvious, and troubling, to them.

I just hope this pushback continues and marginalizes these people.

Last edited:
Obviously there are people who don't see a distinction between (a) disagreeing verbally with someone and (b) actively working to punish them for their words.

My question is: Do they REALLY not see the distinction, or are they CHOOSING not to see the distinction?

It's a choice. Lots of people like to just whistle on past the graveyard these days.
It's difficult for me to imagine that they're not lying.

Any honest person can see the difference between disagreeing verbally and punishing/shutting down/intimidating.

The people who signed the letter in the OP, and the quotes I've provided from Obama, Warren, Sanders, Rushdie, Chomsky and Harris demonstrate that. This is all quote obvious, and troubling, to them.

I just hope this pushback continues and marginalizes these people.

I just dropped a new rant about this.

srp99F0.gif

Greg
He's DEM SOLID

Good job Mac

I'm a winger now?
If you're not, you should know the value of thinking for yourself, and not playing the game.

If I've ever contradicted myself, show it. Otherwise, my opposition to Trump doesn't make me fake.

You despised Hillary.
You voted FOR Hillary despite there being a plethora of other options.

Walk the talk or stop with the righteous bullshit.

srp99F0.gif

Greg
He's DEM SOLID

Good job Mac

I'm a winger now?

You despised Hillary.
You voted FOR Hillary despite there being a plethora of other options.

Walk the talk or stop with the righteous bullshit.
I don't despise anyone.

I voted for Hillary because it was the most effective way to vote against Trump, obviously.

One bowl of shit was a little smaller.

Forum List

Back