Open letter published to fight "Cancel Culture"

In addition to the liberals I have already quoted on this thread (Obama, Sanders, Warren, Rushdie, Harris ) here are a few of the people who signed the letter in the OP:
  • Gloria Steinem
  • Jonathan Haidt
  • Fareed Zakaria
  • Zephyr Teachout
  • Wynton Marsalis
  • Francis Fukuyama
  • ... and dozens of scholars and academics
Freedom of speech and expression is our most precious value, and there too goddamn many illiberal leftist authoritarians who are making a mockery of it.

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

e111c1c11d4b5b9aaed63b03a4da25bb.jpg
So you are no longer Dem leaning???

Greg

Na. I'm thinking a pissed off ex posted all his dick pics all over Facebook.

In addition to the liberals I have already quoted on this thread (Obama, Sanders, Warren, Rushdie, Harris ) here are a few of the people who signed the letter in the OP:
  • Gloria Steinem
  • Jonathan Haidt
  • Fareed Zakaria
  • Zephyr Teachout
  • Wynton Marsalis
  • Francis Fukuyama
  • ... and dozens of scholars and academics
Freedom of speech and expression is our most precious value, and there too goddamn many illiberal leftist authoritarians who are making a mockery of it.

No one listens to them about anything else, why would they listen here? I agree, it's dumb, but I do t think it will be changing any time soon.

You voted FOR Hillary despite there being a plethora of other options.
There was only two options. Get real.
There are more than two options. Pull your head out.
False. One of the two major candidates will win. There are only two options, and every vote you cast is a vote for one of them, no matter whom you vote for.

That's a lie. It's why we have Trump. It's why we have a race to the bottom, getting shittier candidates every election.

LO2E voting is fraudulent voting. We can't have a sane democracy if people aren't voting honestly. If, instead, they begin by second-guessing what everyone else might do and then vote "strategically", we'll get dysfunctional elections where, at best, the second-most-evil candidate wins.

"every vote you cast is a vote for one of them, no matter whom you vote for."

This is just silly. I'm voting Libertarian. So in your alice-in-wonderland logic, who am I really voting for?

That's a lie. It's why we have Trump
Well you better wake up, because the winner will be one of the two major candidates. No tantrum or protest vote is going to change that. Anyone who thinks otherwise is utterly delusional.

This is just silly. I'm voting Libertarian
Then you are voting for the one of Biden and Trump that you least prefer. Sorry dude...you aren't going to put words in just the right order to make mathematical facts go away. To call your vote "wasted" would be far too kind. You are actually voting for the candidate you least prefer, of the major two candidates.

If I vote for Jo Jorgensen, who am I voting for? Trump, or Biden?
The one you least prefer. Ironic, eh?

Ironic isn't the word I had in mind. But it does start with an "I". (see my previous post).

Your argument is a scam to get people to vote for your candidate, no matter how shitty your candidate is. Republicans play the same stupid game. And it's not working.

Last edited:
Your argument is a scam to get people to vote for your candidate, no matter how shitt your candidate is
False. It is a simple, mathematical fact. And having now realized the certainty of it, you have regressed and retreated to substituting an argument that is easier for you to attack.

My argument would urge one to vote for Trump, if that one preferred him over biden. I don't support Trump. So there you have it.

I prefer neither of them.
Then you are lying. Everyone can think of a reason they prefer one, if even by the tiniest of margins.

No, the lying is in rooted your asinine argument. According to you, a vote for a Libertarian is a vote for a Republican. According to a Republican (who also goes with lo2e) a vote for a LIbertarian is a vote for a Democrat. Are you both right? Or are you both wrong?

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

Real liberals want discussion and debate, the
Regressive left wants it their way or no way. The best friend of a real liberal is a real conservative, those are two, almost extinct. I am ashamed in what America has become.

I can't think of a single reason to have voted for Trump or Hillary. Not a one.
Then maybe you are lazy and really should do better. But really i think you are just lying.

Think what you want.
It's not an opinion. You are either very lazy or lying.

Lol....it's funny how bent out of shape some people get because everyone hasn't bought into the idea that they have to choose one of the lousy candidates from the two failed parties.

srp99F0.gif

Real liberals want discussion and debate, the
Regressive left wants it their way or no way. The best friend of a real liberal is a real conservative, those are two, almost extinct. I am ashamed in what America has become.
JK Rowling, for exanple, is invited to come out of her basement and have a discussion or debate. Instead she used her bully pulpit, then ran and hid. Not that i disagree with what you are saying, because i don't.

Forum List

Back