College Reaction to Massacre v. George Floyd - My Open Letter to Cornell

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
I am a Cornell alum, Class of 1979. I wrote this letter, with my name redacted
================================================== ========

People,

I am a member of the Arts Class of 1979. I read with dismay the supine generic statements issued on behalf of Cornell University in response to the massacre on October 7, 2023 by Hamas in the State of Israel (the "Massacre"). Cornell has issued multiple responses to the Massacre, all weak, and diluting the message by references to other horrors, even natural disasters. An earthquake is not a massacre, even if it causes large-scale death. For example, your October 10, 2023 response stated, in relevant part:

The loss of human life is always tragic, whether caused by human actions such as terrorism, war or mass shootings, or by natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires or floods. Regrettably, there are so often horrific events around the world, and because it is impossible to respond to each of them, there is no way to acknowledge the pain that different members of our community feel when such events occur. Just last month, we saw atrocities in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, and this past weekend there was a terrible earthquake in Afghanistan. Today, as we mourn the loss of life in the Middle East, I want also to call out events like these and acknowledge the distress of our community members impacted by them.

This is in stark contrast to the missive sent on or about May 29, 2020 to the killing of George Floyd by Martha Pollack, President which stated in relevant part:

I am heartbroken, angry and frankly sickened by the recent killing of George Floyd, and before him, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and others whose deaths are less well publicized.
The amount of pain in the Black community is unfathomable, especially as these are occurring in the midst of a pandemic that is having such a disproportionate impact on communities of color.
Decent people and institutions cannot stand silent while such violence against our fellow citizens continues.
I want to make clear, both personally and on behalf of Cornell, that we will do all we can as a university to address this scourge of racism. We will address it directly in our educational programs, in our research and in our engagement and related activities, working through the ways we know best to push for a world that is equitable and kind; where people do not have to fear for their lives because of the color of their skin; and where everyone has the same opportunities to grow, thrive and enjoy their lives.

Dean Jayawardhana of the College of Arts and Sciences, wrote, on or about June 3, 2020 in part:

America remains united in pain and outrage over the depraved killing of a black man by a white police officer. And as African Americans from all walks of life can affirm, racist attitudes and assumptions continue to bubble above the surface in many ways large and small.

The contrast in Cornell's public statements between the response to the George Floyd killing and the Massacre could not be more stark. Fear of violence should not place a role, nor should the wrong image of Jews as "privileged."

The leadership of Cornell regularly beseeches alumni for donations. Is this anyway to seek donations; to show indifference to a brutal massacre, and ensuing campus antisemitism?

Where is the courage that Cornell showed, in 1865, by admitting blacks, women, and frankly all people at a time where membership in respectable society depended upon being white, male and well-to-do? That is the Cornell of which I am proud. By contrast, these statements by University officialdom read as if they are terrified of the response. I do not like to think of the leaders of my Alma Mater as a "quivering mass of jello."

I am outraged and, to quote Dean Jayawardhana, "heartbroken."

jbgusa '79

People,

I am a member of the Arts Class of 1979. I read with dismay the supine generic statements issued on behalf of Cornell University in response to the massacre on October 7, 2023 by Hamas in the State of Israel (the "Massacre"). Cornell has issued multiple responses to the Massacre, all weak, and diluting the message by references to other horrors, even natural disasters. An earthquake is not a massacre, even if it causes large-scale death. For example, your October 10, 2023 response stated, in relevant part:

The loss of human life is always tragic, whether caused by human actions such as terrorism, war or mass shootings, or by natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires or floods. Regrettably, there are so often horrific events around the world, and because it is impossible to respond to each of them, there is no way to acknowledge the pain that different members of our community feel when such events occur. Just last month, we saw atrocities in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, and this past weekend there was a terrible earthquake in Afghanistan. Today, as we mourn the loss of life in the Middle East, I want also to call out events like these and acknowledge the distress of our community members impacted by them.

This is in stark contrast to the missive sent on or about May 29, 2020 to the killing of George Floyd by Martha Pollack, President which stated in relevant part:

I am heartbroken, angry and frankly sickened by the recent killing of George Floyd, and before him, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and others whose deaths are less well publicized.
The amount of pain in the Black community is unfathomable, especially as these are occurring in the midst of a pandemic that is having such a disproportionate impact on communities of color.
Decent people and institutions cannot stand silent while such violence against our fellow citizens continues.
I want to make clear, both personally and on behalf of Cornell, that we will do all we can as a university to address this scourge of racism. We will address it directly in our educational programs, in our research and in our engagement and related activities, working through the ways we know best to push for a world that is equitable and kind; where people do not have to fear for their lives because of the color of their skin; and where everyone has the same opportunities to grow, thrive and enjoy their lives.

Dean Jayawardhana of the College of Arts and Sciences, wrote, on or about June 3, 2020 in part:

America remains united in pain and outrage over the depraved killing of a black man by a white police officer. And as African Americans from all walks of life can affirm, racist attitudes and assumptions continue to bubble above the surface in many ways large and small.

The contrast in Cornell's public statements between the response to the George Floyd killing and the Massacre could not be more stark. Fear of violence should not place a role, nor should the wrong image of Jews as "privileged."

The leadership of Cornell regularly beseeches alumni for donations. Is this anyway to seek donations; to show indifference to a brutal massacre, and ensuing campus antisemitism?

Where is the courage that Cornell showed, in 1865, by admitting blacks, women, and frankly all people at a time where membership in respectable society depended upon being white, male and well-to-do? That is the Cornell of which I am proud. By contrast, these statements by University officialdom read as if they are terrified of the response. I do not like to think of the leaders of my Alma Mater as a "quivering mass of jello."

jbgusa '79
Well written. I agree.

People,

jbgusa '79
The facists/communists said that they were going to burn our cities if Sanders was not elected.

The 2020 fascist/communist insurgency had nothing to do with George Floyd overdosing, you low IQ and therefore easily brainwashed dupe.

I normally write a check at the end of each year to Cornell University. After mailing a hard copy of the OP to Cornell, I donated to Cornell Free Speech Alliance instead.

Q: Do you have any evidence whatsoever to back up your stupid claim?

A: No
What claim?

Fuck off, stupid kunt.
Very difficult anatomically.

But I am not about to show you my bank statement, except this year's account ended in **** 7279 and previous year's were from ****0368, and it's one of the big banks in my area.

But I am not about to show you my bank statement, except this year's account ended in **** 7279 and previous year's were from ****0368, and it's one of the big banks in my area.
What claim?
:rolleyes: In other words, you're lying again like a typical scuzball piece of shit leftist.

Lick Mortimer's sweaty fat nutz, fagboy.

I normally write a check at the end of each year to Cornell University. After mailing a hard copy of the OP to Cornell, I donated to Cornell Free Speech Alliance instead.
Pitchfork-Skewerable

The Ivy League should be transported back to the crumbling castles of Europe where it belongs. There it can choke on the dust from the guillotined skulls of its idols.

• Winner
Reactions: JBG
It's not news that the world hates Jews and the nation-state of the Jewish people. The difference THIS TIME is that these Jews are prepared and VERY able to fight back. The demonic filth that flew out of Gaza that morning was like a cloud of locust carnivores. They were driven by a hate so perverse that it cannot be stopped so must be killed. It's past time for Israel to get on with it...

• Winner
Reactions: JBG
It's not news that the world hates Jews and the nation-state of the Jewish people. The difference THIS TIME is that these Jews are prepared and VERY able to fight back. The demonic filth that flew out of Gaza that morning was like a cloud of locust carnivores. They were driven by a hate so perverse that it cannot be stopped so must be killed. It's past time for Israel to get on with it...
Absolutely. Strong words don't work alone. We need a stop to the calls for ̷a̷n̷ ̷o̷p̷p̷o̷r̷t̷u̷n̷i̷t̷y̷ ̷t̷o̷ ̷r̷e̷a̷r̷m̷ a cease fire.

People,

jbgusa '79
This is pure baloney. Stop trying to compare everything to George Floyd. Hamas is the result of Netanyahu's strategy and it backfired. If you want to write letters, write to him.

• Fake News
Reactions: DBA

Forum List

Back