Oh, how the Republican party has changed

By telling NATO members to meet their spending committments? Yeah, that was awful!
Yeah, it was. Trump's tactless comments caused our NATO partners to avoid dealing with the U.S. Trump accomplished nothing but caused a major division within NATO.

I glad we are in agreement.

By telling NATO members to meet their spending committments? Yeah, that was awful!

Was Vladimir Putin delighted when Trump resisted his new natural gas pipeline?
Is that all you have to say to my report? Well, at least you commented. The rest of the Republicans here avoided my report. It dealt with what is happening now. They preferred talking about the past.

I posted the report twice. I simply can't get Republicans here to defend their own party.

Trump's tactless comments caused our NATO partners to avoid dealing with the U.S.

Were they spending more on defense?
When did they stop "dealing with the US"?

Any specifics?

Trump has been so damn wrong on this.

It's probably a little too long for you but I'm going to post the text.

President Trump has been making plenty of claims about how much the U.S. contributes to NATO while portraying other members of the alliance as deadbeats. Here is some of what he has said and how those statements stand up to the facts.

The Claim

Sitting down to breakfast in Brussels just before the NATO plenary session Wednesday, Trump accused NATO allies of being freeloaders:

"Many countries owe us a tremendous amount of money from many years back, where they're delinquent as far as I'm concerned, because the United States has had to pay for them. So if you go back 10 or 20 years, you'll just add it all up, it's massive amounts of money is owed."

False

The U.S. has not been stiffed for unpaid bills by NATO allies.

"There is no ledger that maintains accounts of what countries pay and owe," says former Obama administration National Security Council staffer Aaron O'Connell. "NATO is not like a club with annual membership fees."

NATO members did make a commitment four years ago to spend at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense by 2024. Just nine of the military alliance's 29 members are expected to reach or surpass that target this year.

The Claim

At the same pre-plenary breakfast, Trump excoriated Germany, the biggest economic power in NATO after the U.S.:

"Germany is just paying a little bit over 1 percent, whereas the United States in actual numbers is paying 4.2 percent."

True And False

Germany indeed devotes only about 1.25 percent of its GDP to defense. While it has boosted defense spending the past two years, Germany, like about half the other NATO members, does not plan to reach 2 percent by 2024.

But Trump's claim that the U.S. is spending 4.2 percent of GDP is at odds with the Pentagon, which puts it at 3.3 percent.

NATO scholar Garret Martin says in any case, U.S. defense needs vastly surpass those of its European allies.

"We're not comparing apples to apples," notes Martin, a lecturer at American University's School of International Service. "The United States is a global military power with global military commitments.

"NATO and the trans-Atlantic geographical area is only a part of what the United States military does. That's not necessarily true for most of the European members of the alliance."

The Claim

At a July 5 rally in Montana, Trump said this about NATO funding:

"We're paying for anywhere from 70 to 90 percent to protect Europe, and that's fine."

Confusing

Trump did not say 70 to 90 percent of what. It's true that if the overall defense budgets of all 29 NATO allies are tallied, the U.S. defense budget accounts for about two-thirds of that total. But as noted above, American defense expenditures are for much more than just protecting Europe.

"There is a common budget that all NATO allies pay into," says O'Connell of NATO's direct expenses for shared headquarters and exercises. "It's about $2.8 billion and the U.S. pays 22 percent of that, not 90 percent."

The Claim

Trump sought to take credit in Brussels for NATO allies spending more:

"This year, since our last meeting, commitments have been made for over $40 billion more money spent by other countries."

Exaggeration

NATO reported on July 10 that spending by European members increased from last fiscal year to the current fiscal year by about $35 billion.

The increased spending predates Trump.

"I think once the trend started changing in 2014, that created momentum even before he became president," says Martin. "Now maybe there's a bit more urgency now because he's blunter than his predecessors in criticizing his European partners."

Despite Trump's complaints about American outlays for NATO, the U.S. is actually spending more in Europe than when he took office.

"Actions speak louder than words," NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg told reporters as the NATO summit got underway. "Since Trump became president, U.S. funding for military presence in Europe — the European Deterrence Initiative — has been increased by 40 percent."

That spending was approved by Congress, where both the House and the Senate overwhelmingly approved resolutions this week backing NATO.

Eisenhower new Dem hero, the man who on orders from a Dem president burned 100's of thousands of men, women, and children alive during WWII firebombing raids. :cuckoo:
They should have put Truman on trial for war crimes after he ordered Dresden to be firebombed. Burned thousands of innocent men, women & children alive for no other reason then to extract vengeance. He destroyed & burned to the ground the most beautiful city in Europe. One of the most tragic events of ww2.
Just curious. Where do you stand on invading a country based on bullshit evidence of WMDs?
Conservatives called BS on WMD's and that war and the BS $78B Cheney said it would cost and on the claim we'd get that money back from Iraq. Dems were too gutless to stand their ground, folded like a cheap lawn chair voting for war and continued funding.
Your post is a lie. But just like you, conservatives were the biggest supporters of the WMD lies as they are of the election fraud lie. Sean Hannity and every other conservative was on the news spouting you are “either with us or against us.” Conservative liars were everyone branding any opponent of the war as a traitor.
Your opinion is wrong, try again.
No, you must just a kid then. Anyone who was alive back in 2003 remembers Cheney and Fox News revving up the war machine, and lying about WMD, Scott Ritter and any Democrat who dare oppose the war. Ask your mother or father about it.
Improve your reading comprehension, ask your teacher for help if you need it.
You are in la la land. The same fucking assholes who cozied up to Bush to push wartime propaganda are the same assholes you listen to now about stolen elections.
Now you are just making shit up. Okay name them back up your statement or run away with your tail tucked between your legs.

It was already done for you. An entire news network to include Hannity and Bill O'reilly, How about Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh? Michelle Malkin ring a bell? Glenn Beck ring a bell?
Lets see that's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 total out of millions of Conservatives. Broad brush much? :cuckoo:
Blues Legend, you are a sad, sorry human, so misguided. I am guessing you sincerely feel you are right. But so do many of the most disgusting humans that go down as being on the wrong side of history.
You are a white nationalist. History is littered with the the embarrasment of white nationalism. All are an embarrassment to the countries they lived in and to all white people.
Because Whitey is smart and Darky is dumb?
I am guessing you are a whitey but what ever color you are, you are obviously EXTREMELY dumb. Those who think the color iof your skin determines your intelligence and your heart are the very worst among us, no matter what color they are.
I read your posts and you don't realize how obsessed you are with skin color.

Is that all you have to say to my report? Well, at least you commented. The rest of the Republicans here avoided my report. It dealt with what is happening now. They preferred talking about the past.

I posted the report twice. I simply can't get Republicans here to defend their own party.

Can't answer?

NATO members did make a commitment four years ago to spend at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense by 2024.

Because they weren't meeting their commitment targets, just as Trump said.

Four years ago. You just quoted (from an article but you attributed it to me) something that disproved your statement. Before Trump was president NATO members already committed to spend at least 2% of their GDP by 2024. That's why they all looked at him like a loon during that one press conference, it's like he was lecturing them for something that is already planned out.

Bush and Obama were already hammering other NATO members to pick up the slack and during the Obama administration they agreed by 2024 to do just that.

I know I'm repeating myself but I'm hoping at least one of those two statements above makes it to your brain.

It's not 1956 you knucklehead and we have since spent TRILLIONS on these issues. :itsok:
morality does not change with time you immoral piece of crap.
After 10's of trillions of dollars minorities and the poor are stick stuck on your Dem inner city plantations OWN IT!
What's your excuse for the millions of people living in poverty in Alabammy, Ole Miss., Goegia, Arkansass & other red states, you low I.Q. inbred Trumpturd?
Jesus Christ on a bike you dumb fucking animal....

Have you never been to Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, or Nanzi's hometown where you need an app to avoid the human shit on the sidewalks?

5dw7wa.jpg

It's not 1956 you knucklehead and we have since spent TRILLIONS on these issues. :itsok:
morality does not change with time you immoral piece of crap.
After 10's of trillions of dollars minorities and the poor are stick stuck on your Dem inner city plantations OWN IT!
What's your excuse for the millions of people living in poverty in Alabammy, Ole Miss., Goegia, Arkansass & other red states, you low I.Q. inbred Trumpturd?
I live like a KING in Arkansas, on 1/3 the income it took to live like a pauper in the beyond-dysfunctional greater Boston area. Anyone who stays in these psychotic Leftist hellholes deserves to have some BLM nutcase ruin their overpriced restaurant dinner!

NATO members did make a commitment four years ago to spend at least 2 percent of their GDP on defense by 2024.

Four years ago. You just quoted (from an article but you attributed it to me) something that disproved your statement. Before Trump was president NATO members already committed to spend at least 2% of their GDP by 2024. That's why they all looked at him like a loon during that one press conference, it's like he was lecturing them for something that is already planned out.

Bush and Obama were already hammering other NATO members to pick up the slack and during the Obama administration they agreed by 2024 to do just that.

I know I'm repeating myself but I'm hoping at least one of those two statements above makes it to your brain.

Before Trump was president NATO members already committed to spend at least 2% of their GDP by 2024.

They were supposed to be spending at least 2%, according to their 2006 agreement.
I hope Trump didn't hurt their feelings when he said, in 2018, they still weren't meeting their NATO
commitments.

Before Trump was president NATO members already committed to spend at least 2% of their GDP by 2024.

They were supposed to be spending at least 2%, according to their 2006 agreement.
I hope Trump didn't hurt their feelings when he said, in 2018, they still weren't meeting their NATO
commitments.
They already made a commitment to for 2% by 2024 before Trump was in office. He literally did nothing but alienate us from our allies.

commitments.
They already made a commitment to for 2% by 2024 before Trump was in office. He literally did nothing but alienate us from our allies.

They already made a commitment to for 2% by 2024

They already made a commitment for 2% back in 2006.

I hope Trump didn't hurt their freeloading feelings.

commitments.

I've already provided a link.

commitments.

Did your link mention the 2006 agreement?

commitments.

I'm referring to their 2014 pledge of 2%. Trump didn't didn't do that.

commitments.

I'm referring to their 2014 pledge of 2%. Trump didn't didn't do that.

Why did they need a 2014 agreement?

They already made an agreement in 2006.

Maybe they didn't intend to meet either one?

Did they cry much when Trump criticized their spending?

Poor Euros, so delicate.

and the democrat party hasn't changed since 1866
still the same ol'e terrorist racist group we've know since then.
Oh, how the Republican party has changed.
Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and Abraham Lincoln are rolling over in their graves. Even Richard Nixon is rolling over in his grave at the embarrassment of what the Republican party has turned into.

View attachment 502949

New Topics

Forum List

Back