Obamacare just ruined my life

Ah. So nice to know that'll never be me. My UNION CONTACT requires a 40 hour work week. It requires health care be provided at a reasonable cost. It does not allow the Company to force me to work OT except in extreme circumstances.

Sound's like you bit off more than you can chew dude. Sorry to hear that but it's your problem, not ours. Obamacare may be crap but it seems you've got bigger problems.

Studebaker employees had a contract like that!

Your current company is just as much to blame as ObamaCare.

How is that,this should be a good one.

The company obviously never offered health insurance to their employees. So it is a shitty job at a shitty employer.

That's completely unfounded. Lot's of good jobs don't provide health insurance as part of the compensation package.

... I was able to afford my own health insurance until Obamacare happened. That's the irony.

I can't say I'm familiar with you analogy; but utility companies rarely go out of business and a Union that's more than 50 years old rarely fall.

When 100% of your operational workforce is Unionized and about 30-40% of your inside workforce is Unionized, a Company has little option but to treat us with decency and respect. If 10,000 of your 14,000 employees are Union workers you really can't slit your own throat by passing them off.

I can't say I'm familiar with you analogy; but utility companies rarely go out of business and a Union that's more than 50 years old rarely fall.

When 100% of your operational workforce is Unionized and about 30-40% of your inside workforce is Unionized, a Company has little option but to treat us with decency and respect. If 10,000 of your 14,000 employees are Union workers you really can't slit your own throat by passing them off.

There is no economic security in America for anyone anymore, union or not. My stepfather was hired by Henry Ford personally, when Ford opened his first auto assembly plant in Atlanta in the 1920's. He worked for Ford all of his working life, and was union. The plant eventually moved to Hapeville. Today, the plant is gone. They no longer make Fords in Atlanta. The people who depended on Ford and the union for health insurance no longer have either working for their interests. However, here in the Santa Cruz river valley, a train fully loaded with new Fords travels north across the border from Nogales, every other night. You see, Ford does not have to contribute to Mexican workers health insurance plans.

Last edited:
There is no economic security in America for anyone anymore, union or not. My stepfather was hired by Henry Ford personally, when Ford opened his first auto assembly plant in Atlanta in the 1920's. He worked for Ford all of his working life, and was union. The plant eventually moved to Hapeville. Today, the plant is gone. They no longer make Fords in Atlanta. The people who depended on Ford and the union for health insurance no longer have either working for their interests. However, here in the Santa Cruz river valley, a train fully loaded with new Fords travels north across the border from Nogales, every other night. You see, Ford does not have to contribute to Mexican workers health insurance plans.

Utility companies don't up and move out of town. They merge and break up but the NLRB requires those new companies to recognize existing contracts. Nothing is a perfect situation but we're pretty damn close.

The company obviously never offered health insurance to their employees. So it is a shitty job at a shitty employer.

That's completely unfounded. Lot's of good jobs don't provide health insurance as part of the compensation package.
Name them pre obama care?

Name them??? I could tell you about mine, or friends of mine - but I won't. Or you could just admit the obvious - there's no reason employers need to supply us with health insurance. They can simply give us whatever money they would have spent on insurance for us, and we can buy our own insurance. It's exactly that dynamic, people depending on their employer instead of taking care of it themselves, that created the problems we're dealing with now.

Name them pre obama care?

Name them??? I could tell you about mine, or friends of mine - but I won't. Or you could just admit the obvious - there's no reason employers need to supply us with health insurance. They can simply give us whatever money they would have spent on insurance for us, and we can buy our own insurance. It's exactly that dynamic, people depending on their employer instead of taking care of it themselves, that created the problems we're dealing with now.

In fact, if I was designing the ideal insurance plan, there would be no employer groups, but only groups representing the insurance coverage that best meets the needs of a particular group of people. There would be minimum group plans and Cadillac group plans and everything in between and everybody would choose the plan--i.e. join the group--that best met their needs and pocket book. Family plans could be designed for those that would work better for.

The employer could offer to pay some or all of his/her employees insurance coverage, up to a certain amount, as a company perk or an incentive for employees to get coverage, but the policy would go with the employee when he/she left that company.

There would be no need for the federal government to be involved in that at all other than to enforce any violation of RICO or anti trust laws.

So you people admit that the status quo (before Obamneycare) was unsustainable [rates were rising at an alarming rate]. Finally.

I just received a letter from my job stating that no one will be working more than 30 hours a week.

I normally worked 48-52 hours per week generating 10 hours of regular play, and 8-12 hours of overtime time. Each hour I work averages an ADDITIONAL $ 11.25 in tips.

This means each week I will now be losing (20)(11.25) + (10)(10.50) + (10)(16.25) dollars per week.

I will now be losing an average of $ 492.50 per week.

This is nearly $ 2,000 per month.

Almost $24,000 a year ($ 23,640)

I can no longer afford my own private healthcare coverage --- thanks to Obamacare.

I will also have to find a second job, and DROP two classes at Stony Brook University.

So now I will make less money, work more hours, and it will take longer to complete my degree.

My life has been ruined by the parasites.

Obamacare just ruined my life.

There are over 300 million people in this country, of which 1/3 has benefited from ACA. Most, including myself have had their hours shortened, unpaid days off, all to benefit a nation where corporate profits soar and lack of consumer money have forced these types of adjustments......now who do I blame? It sure as hell ain't Obama...you moron!!!

I work for the largest financial institution in the country.....they make billions....my hours have been cut, there are weeks when I go home with less than 20 hours. We're forced to take unpaid days off and still these greedy bastards want more.....we have the worst insurance in the country, with deductibles as high as 5 grand and do I for one second sit back and blame Obama???? I blame a nation that worships corporations and thier 401K's their pensions, their profit sharing investments and their love for cheap labor over seas, I blame hospitals that build and build and bill you for a 2 second visit that costs 600 bucks....but it sure as hell ain't Obama and ACA

Forum List

Back