NYC to attempt to force treatment of the mentally ill homeless

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
I wish Mayor Adams luck, but the homeless "advocates" will be in court and get an order blocking this before a single homeless person is detained and treated. What I never could figure out is why these advocates think it's better for these people to be on the street than being treated.

NYC proposes forced treatment of mentally ill

Now the Mayor has announced a new initiative to deal with the intractable problem of homeless people who are clearly mentally ill. Adams is instructing the police to detain mentally ill homeless people and take them to medical facilities for treatment even if they object to being treated. This plan appears to have even more people up in arms. (Associated Press)

I wish Mayor Adams luck, but the homeless "advocates" will be in court and get an order blocking this before a single homeless person is detained and treated. What I never could figure out is why these advocates think it's better for these people to be on the street than being treated.

The Democrats' entire platform is to take care of a society that has fallen apart.

Many of the homeless are drug addicts while others just prefer to be on the street. Not all of them are mentally ill.

Many of the homeless are drug addicts while others just prefer to be on the street. Not all of them are mentally ill.

Many of the ones who are drug addicts are like that BECAUSE they are mentally ill.

"Instructing the police to detain............................".

No. We need mental health professionals to address these people. When a mentally ill person decides to not comply the police will just decide to shoot them.

I agree we need to decide what we can do here but not by authoritarian means.

I can't imagine that Seattle is much different from any other large city in the country, and this informative and well researched documentary has a lot to say about the fact that, at least in the downtown core of the city, virtually 100% of the city's homeless have issues with drug addiction

I have worked with a lot of homeless people in Seattle and they affirmed over and over that, when offered an opportunity for drug treatment in a facility, they'd choose to remain on the street.

In a culture that is rapidly decriminalizing drug possession and use and not bothering to prosecute theft, these folks cannot be compelled to do anything about their lives and so they get to continue to hold hostage the cities they inhabit, until they die.

Western Washington in my rear view mirror was a blessed sight!

If I still lived in a state with this level of drug-induced homeless insanity, and if I were pressed for an opinion, I'd say lock them up and clean them up.

When some sick person accosts another New York City resident in the streets of the city (even when it isn’t violent), it is immediately clear that the person is either mentally ill or as high as a kite. The streets are full of such people. They frankly all need help.

But the so-called “social Justice warriors” are alarmed that doing anything could lead to a return of the bad old days: where mentally ill folks got warehoused in “insane asylums.” Their solution? “Leave them alone. After all, it’s not their fault that they are mentally ill.”

The result: streets full of mentally ill (and often dangerous) people who get neither help nor proper lodging nor properly nourished. Newsflash: it does tend to make the city far less livable. And many consequences flow from that.

I’m going to stake out a claim here that many people won’t like:

Whether mentally ill people are living in the streets and sleeping on a subway grate or under a bridge or in some ratty tent community in a “park,” their lives suck anyway. But at least if they get institutionalized, they can be a bit safer and cared-for. And if they are institutionalized, the quality of life for the rest of the society is improved.

There is no happy solution. But the one the “social Justice warriors” insist upon simply doesn’t work for anyone.

That is not true. Do you consider all the folks that smoke marijuana to be mentally ill?

We are talking about people living on the streets and in a constant muddled, combative, or harmful state.

THOSE people are the types that try to solve mental health issues with HARD drug use. This isn't about some guy smoking reefer on his porch, or the homeless bohemian type with dreads panhandling on the side of the highway.

They aren't taking all people off the street. Just the violent mentally ill, or the mentally ill that obviously can't take care of themselves.

define: treated

It seems to me that that could mean indoctrination by liberals

Forum List

Back