Neptune Park Inn 3108 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Queen Mary 1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802
2734.6 miles @ 70 mph = 39.07 hrs.
2734.6/150 = 18.226 # of stops
18.226 x 6 = 109.36 hrs charging time
109.36 +39.07 = 148.43
148.43/24 = 6.18 days
Ok, slightly faster than Amtrack

30 minutes within the first paragraph based on the OP.

Not 6 hours.

That’s just one part of an ambitious plan to expand Tesla’s Supercharger network, a series of solar-powered charging stations that will stretch from coast to coast by next year and allow Model S owners to recharge their rides in 20 to 30 minutes.

Ok, and it is a beta, so maybe, maybe not.

How long would it take for a Tesla car to get across the US at around 70 mph with a six hour rest every 150 miles? You do the math

That's without running the heat or AC.

Try this little road trip with its stretches across OK, Texas, NM, Az. and California's Mojave in August and tell me about the recharges:
Neptune Park Inn 3108 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Queen Mary 1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802
2734.6 miles

Last edited:
NY to LA for Free: Tesla Plans Dramatic Expansion of Charger Network

NY to LA for Free: Tesla Plans Dramatic Expansion of Charger Network | Autopia | Wired.com

GO TELSA GO!!!!

Drive an electric car across the country? How much waiting for the batteries to charge would that trip include?

"a series of solar-powered charging stations that will stretch from coast to coast by next year and allow Model S owners to recharge their rides in 20 to 30 minutes."

If it is 150 miles per charge...You can recharge within 30 minute with the new charger! :eek: As I pointed out above that would be about 18 charges/.5=~9 hours.

Sure it isn't as good as gas but pretty good.

How about with the air conditioning on?

NY to LA for Free: Tesla Plans Dramatic Expansion of Charger Network

NY to LA for Free: Tesla Plans Dramatic Expansion of Charger Network | Autopia | Wired.com

GO TELSA GO!!!!

Drive an electric car across the country? How much waiting for the batteries to charge would that trip include?

"a series of solar-powered charging stations that will stretch from coast to coast by next year and allow Model S owners to recharge their rides in 20 to 30 minutes."

If it is 150 miles per charge...You can recharge within 30 minute with the new charger! :eek: As I pointed out above that would be about 18 charges/.5=~9 hours.

Sure it isn't as good as gas but pretty good.

What if the sun's not out?

How long would it take for a Tesla car to get across the US at around 70 mph with a six hour rest every 150 miles? You do the math

Is that a trick question?

Tesla's Elon Musk was on CNBC this morning. He said they are rapidly expanding their Free Supercharger Network. They can now charge enough in 20 minutes to drive for 3 hours & this recharge speed will keep improving. Their recharging stations are solar powered with battery backup & will keep on recharging cars even when the power grid fails. The new Tesla Model-T & a SUV are coming out in less than 4 years for $35k. It will save $40K in gasoline. It's like getting the car for free. Elon said their cars are selling 3 times faster in the USA than they imagined. They are profitable without government subsidies. They did not need the subsidies but it sure did speed things up. Tesla stock is up 400% in the last 6 months.

All of the CNBC announcers who drove the Tesla said it was way more powerful & responsive than any gasoline powered car they had ever driven. Over 25% of all Tesla test drives end up as a sale. Demand US demand is exceeding production capacity. They had planned to export most of the cars but will have to expand to produce enough to export. All other luxury car manufacturers have had to cut production, but Tesla sales are increasing & outstripping their ability to expand or produce cars. Elon said Tesla will make a self-driving auto-pilot car in the near future.

At $4/gallon that's 10,000 gallons of gasoline. Even if you got 30mph you'd have to drive 300,000 miles to use up that much gas.

200k miles at 20/mpg on $4 gas = $40k. Delivery business would save a ton with electric.

You have to remember this is a high end sports car that will kick a Ferrari's ass. A Ferrari only gets 13/mpg city. So a Tesla will save you $62k in gas vs a Ferrari in 200k miles.

Last edited:
The charging station will all be free. They will be built and maintained for free.

Do the charging stations also offer hammocks? Sounds like fun taking two weeks to drive across the country, if that's what people want to do with their time. I'll pass.

The charging station will all be free. They will be built and maintained for free.

Do the charging stations also offer hammocks? Sounds like fun taking two weeks to drive across the country, if that's what people want to do with their time. I'll pass.

It only takes a free 20 minute charge to drive for 3 hours. Most people have to take a piss stop ever 2 hours. Who the hell drives that far anyway? I have never driven across the country in my life. But hey if it can now be done for free more people might try it.

"95% of trips are less than 30 miles. More astonishingly, around 98 percent of all single-trip journeys were under 50 miles in length, with trips over 70 miles in length accounting for just one percent of all single-trip journeys." GM determined 80% drive less than 40 total miles a day. It would take all week to drain the Tesla battery at that rate so 1 weekly 20 minute stop at a free recharge station will save you $40k in 200k miles.

It only takes a free 20 minute charge to drive for 3 hours. Most people have to take a piss stop ever 2 hours. Who the hell drives that far anyway? I have never driven across the country in my life. But hey if it can now be done for free more people might try it.

"95% of trips are less than 30 miles. More astonishingly, around 98 percent of all single-trip journeys were under 50 miles in length, with trips over 70 miles in length accounting for just one percent of all single-trip journeys." GM determined 80% drive less than 40 total miles a day. It would take all week to drain the Tesla battery at that rate so 1 weekly 20 minute stop at a free recharge station will save you $40k in 200k miles.

They don't care....they're indoctrinated by right wing media...they're Koch Suckers.

And what if there is four other Teslas ahead of you? That would be an eighty minute wait providing people move their asses and you still have to wait another twenty to recharge your car. I'm sure these charging stations won't have an infinite numbers of access points. Are you willing to throw the dice every time you reach a charging station (every three hours)? I'm not. My time is far more important to me, than some Feel good green technology, but I'll be sure to wave as I pass you by.

They don't care....they're indoctrinated by right wing media...they're Koch Suckers.

Wow...What a completely irrational, adolescent, and off topic response.

Those who have the time won't mind the time to charge, and how many of us drive cross country more than once? My longest commute was 30 miles, and that was only for six months and in 1972. My last 35 years my commute was never more than six miles and for while I could (and did, sometimes) ride my bike to work.

If I were still working I would have purchased the Chevy Volt, I've seen a few on the road and not only do they look good but owners report they work well too. We bought a Prius 15 months ago and we average a bit over 50-miles per gallon. That's great 'cause on member of my family is a lead foot.

Last edited:

Wow...What a completely irrational, adolescent, and off topic response.

No it isn't. You know it's true....there's not a right wing meme that you fuckers don't embrace with all your being. Any innovation that gradually steers us away from fossil fuels...you hate....and it's not just you...it's your political peers too...every one of you has the same groupthink mentality.

The right wing is the equivalent of the Catholic Church executing people as heretics for saying the Earth is round and the Earth revolves.around the Sun.

And what if there is four other Teslas ahead of you? That would be an eighty minute wait providing people move their asses and you still have to wait another twenty to recharge your car. I'm sure these charging stations won't have an infinite numbers of access points. Are you willing to throw the dice every time you reach a charging station (every three hours)? I'm not. My time is far more important to me, than some Feel good green technology, but I'll be sure to wave as I pass you by.

The king of Saudi Arabia thanks you ;) You may not buy one but other people certainly will. Most of them won't drive across country either.

Last edited:
CA to NY for free. As long as you have a Tesla S and as long as you are able to go directly from charging station to charging station with no side trips.

This is clearly unworkable for anyone who thinks. What is it about the liberal mind that hears the word "free" and stops all cognition after that?

The king of Saudi Arabia thanks you ;) You may not buy one but other people certainly will. Most of them won't drive across country either.

The Saudi King was also invested in our defense contractors. They are bleeding us dry. A peer reviewed study from Roger Stern of Princeton, shows it cost the US $7.3 trillion to defend the oil supply over the past 30 years. Why the hell do us tax payers have to pay for that. Oil companies should be taxed to pay for that.

At the OPEC meeting today their members were concerned with the USA waining oil imports. They all agreed to keep their current production quotas. Domestic drilling, electric cars, domestic natural gas, ethanol & bio-fuel are having a major impact on OPEC.

Last edited:
Wait a few more years is all I'll say, Elon Musk is todays Rockefeller, Steve jobs, George Westinghouse. This guy wants to make renewable energy like electric cars and private space like the grass hopper successful and visionary move forward within each of these area's. You'd think you people would support such people that advance humanity....

A person that studies this can expect within 3 years you'll be able to fill up every 50 miles all across this country, on top of the fact that the car will be able to easily go 200+ miles per charge.

Last edited:

There will be more available recharge ports than gas stations had available pumps. It is cheaper to build these charging stations than a multi million dollar gas station. These charging stations don't have to deal with EPA underground tank, fuel storage, vapor recovery, leak detection, spill regulations, fire, cameras & police for stolen gas. Since it is free they also don't need cash registers or attendants.

Your trip will actually be faster because electric vehicles get to use high-occupancy lanes. Besides not paying for gas, electricity or batteries for the life of the car you also save on your taxes. Any U.S. buyer of one of these cars qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit, while states like Colorado throw in up to $6,000 more in state income-tax credits.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back