Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Well, I suppose this was predictable and really shouldn't come as any sort of surprise. That so many state governments are trying to mandate the exclusive sale of these things really does speak for the lack of ability of their leadership to foresee foregone conclusions like this and ultimately in other areas of governance.

Anyway...

Tesla.jpg

Someone pushes a Tesla at a Chicago-area vehicle charging station where many of the electric vehicles have been forced to sit amid freezing temperatures. Many of the vehicles failed to charge at stations around Chicago amid the cold weather. (WFLD / Fox News)

''Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Beard and several other Tesla owners were trying to charge their cars amid long lines and abandoned cars at other Tesla charging stations in the Chicago area, the news station reported.

"This is crazy. It’s a disaster. Seriously," said Tesla owner Chalis Mizelle. Mizelle said she abandoned her car and got a ride from a friend after hers would not charge.

"We got a bunch of dead robots out here," one man said.''

Continued - Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

The original FOX32 Chicago report - Tesla supercharging station packed in Oak Brook, dead cars line parking lot due to frigid temps

''Sumlak was forced to hire a flatbed tow truck to try to find a working charging station.''

Last edited:
''Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.

Sorry if I find this hilarious. How can these people be surprised? I mean, does it really take a degree in electrical engineering to know that batteries ain't worth shit in the bitter cold?

I just hope these people had no where important to go.

Sorry if I find this hilarious. How can these people be surprised? I mean, does it really take a degree in electrical engineering to know that batteries ain't worth shit in the bitter cold?

I just hope we don't start seeing people stranded and freezing to death.

I say that because if people don't have the common sense and foresight to expect this, then I've little doubt that some will also end up stranding themselves some place and freeze to death.

Seriously, if they were serious about this stuff, NC, they would do two things:
  1. Below a certain temp in cold climate regions like this, they would have an electrically heated element under the pad where the car parks to charge that rose up and heated the entire battery to a certain minimum temp first and warmed it there before even trying to charge it. Then the car should be considered in limp mode by the car's exterior temp sensor giving the driver 30 minutes to get home. This would add about $5.00-$10.00 to the charge.
  2. Below a certain exterior temp, the car should give a warning to head to a safe location and begin applying 50% of it reserve current towards running an internal heater to help keep the battery temp up, which of course will greatly consume the stored energy and greatly curtail the operating range.
But then, EVs ought to come with realistic and honest operating ranges vs. temperature indicating an ideal temp range of maybe 90° down to about 35° as well as your expected driving distance above and below those temperatures.

But then, if they were actually honest, no one would want to buy one of Biden's EV bombs. 💣

I wondered about the AA batteries in my Christmas fairy lights on the front gate when temps dipped into the teens but they held up. They didn't last as long though and they weren't rechargeable. And car batteries don't hold a charge as well in very cold weather either. And when the battery is out of juice and you can't find a working charging station. . .

Just one of several reasons we have never considered buying an electric car.

I just hope we don't start seeing people stranded and freezing to death.
That is exactly what it will take to bring this issue to the fore.

I say that because if people don't have the common sense and foresight to expect this
80% of the people are not too bright. 30% of the people are downright clueless and stupid.
I bet few EV owners even realize that much of their car is made of precious metals mined by children in Africa.

The state should monitor these vehicles and require inspections for the next year. At the owners expense, of course. Add road salt, slush, and snow and the conditions are not dissimilar to the flooding seen in hurricane zones. Extreme cold causes contraction, who knows what effects that will have on these vehicles over time.

Seriously, if they were serious about this stuff, NC, they would do two things:
  1. Below a certain temp in cold climate regions like this, they would have an electrically heated element under the pad where the car parks to charge that rose up and heated the entire battery to a certain minimum temp first and warmed it there before even trying to charge it. Then the car should be considered in limp mode by the car's exterior temp sensor giving the driver 30 minutes to get home. This would add about $5.00-$10.00 to the charge.
  2. Below a certain exterior temp, the car should give a warning to head to a safe location and begin applying 50% of it reserve current towards running an internal heater to help keep the battery temp up, which of course will greatly consume the stored energy and greatly curtail the operating range.
But then, EVs ought to come with realistic and honest operating ranges vs. temperature indicating an ideal temp range of maybe 90° down to about 35° as well as your expected driving distance above and below those temperatures.

But then, if they were actually honest, no one would want to buy one of Biden's EV bombs. 💣

Well apparently they have some kind of battery ''preconditioning button,'' per that original report.

''Bilek said all EVs can have problems dealing with extreme cold, and drivers need to hit their preconditioning button before they charge their battery.

"It’s not plug and go. You have to precondition the battery, meaning that you have to get the battery up to the optimal temperature to accept a fast charge," said Bilek.''

Bilek being a representative of the Chicago Auto Trade Association.

If I had one of these, which I won't, but if I did, I'd install a charger in my garage.

Last edited:
The state should monitor these vehicles and require inspections for the next year. At the owners expense, of course. Add road salt, slush, and snow and the conditions are not dissimilar to the flooding seen in hurricane zones. Extreme cold causes contraction, who knows what effects that will have on these vehicles over time.

I've wondered about how salt and corrosion will affect these batteries. Basically the battery is the space of the entire undercarriage from what I understand.

Yeah. No doubt.

Ah well. I'm hitting the sheets. I've been in and out shoveling snow. Have to go do labs early in the morning.

I'm running Shell's 93 octane V-Power Nitro+ and an Interstate battery under the hood. I do not foresee a problem, as it's been a consistently reliable means.

I wondered about the AA batteries in my Christmas fairy lights on the front gate when temps dipped into the teens but they held up. They didn't last as long though and they weren't rechargeable. And car batteries don't hold a charge as well in very cold weather either. And when the battery is out of juice and you can't find a working charging station. . .
Just one of several reasons we have never considered buying an electric car.

Battery type will have a big impact on cold performance. If you must use batteries in bitter cold, probably your best type are the nickel-based, like NiMH or the newer LFP batteries.

Well apparently they ohave some kind of battery ''precnditioning button,'' per that original report.

''Bilek said all EVs can have problems dealing with extreme cold, and drivers need to hit their preconditioning button before they charge their battery.

"It’s not plug and go. You have to precondition the battery, meaning that you have to get the battery up to the optimal temperature to accept a fast charge," said Bilek.''

Bilek being a representative of the Chicago Auto Trade Association.

If I had one of these, which I wont, but if I did, I'd install a charger in my garage.

Only "preconditioning" I can think of is to use some of the batteries own power to run a current through it to help lower the internal resistance. LFP batteries have the advantage of being self warming.

Well, I suppose this was predictable and really shouldn't come as any sort of surprise. That so many state governments are trying to mandate the exclusive sale of these things really does speak for the lack of ability of their leadership to foresee foregone conclusions like this and ultimately in other areas of governance.

Anyway...

Tesla.jpg

Someone pushes a Tesla at a Chicago-area vehicle charging station where many of the electric vehicles have been forced to sit amid freezing temperatures. Many of the vehicles failed to charge at stations around Chicago amid the cold weather. (WFLD / Fox News)

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Beard and several other Tesla owners were trying to charge their cars amid long lines and abandoned cars at other Tesla charging stations in the Chicago area, the news station reported.

"This is crazy. It’s a disaster. Seriously," said Tesla owner Chalis Mizelle. Mizelle said she abandoned her car and got a ride from a friend after hers would not charge.

"We got a bunch of dead robots out here," one man said.''

Continued - Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

The original FOX32 Chicago report - Tesla supercharging station packed in Oak Brook, dead cars line parking lot due to frigid temps

''Sumlak was forced to hire a flatbed tow truck to try to find a working charging station.''

Why on earth does not more owners of these "robot vehicles" just push their robots to where they want to travel too??? I mean the Russian airline passengers push airplane passenger aircraft when it's needed. How can so many Americans be so dopey as to purchase these robotic accident prone self combusting robot vehicles.???If they don't want to push their robots to their destinations then they should have purchased internal combustion engine powered reliable vehicles. I mean ICE powered vehicles have a proven track record of safe/reliable service for well over 100 years.

What were the problems with the early automobiles?

They were difficult to drive, had many gauges to monitor, could take up to 30 minutes to start up, emitted unpleasant exhaust, and had a risk of engine explosion. Steam automobiles also had two major power issues. First, they had a low power-to-weight ratio, meaning that they were heavy and relatively inefficient.

:laugh:

Forum List

Back