No one ever really hated gay people in this country

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I'm much older than most millennials. I remember the seventies because I lived it. I can tell you no one ever really hated gays. We knew some people were gay and most of us didn't care so I want to tell younger generations that it is a lie that every proceeding generation before you made ritual out of hating gays. We did think homosexuality was abnormal and/or immoral depending on what your background was (religious or non-religious) but no matter what your background was no one ever thought homosexuality was the normal standard of all sexual relationships. That much is true.

There were people who went out of their way to be mean to gays and almost everyone had a lot of sympathy for them because of that. Homosexuality was a kind of live and let live kind of sin because if it was between two consenting adults who really cared what they did. It was kind of treated like someone's private live that no one should pry into. It was the sympathy for them that created that and I feel if it wasn't for the few bozos who went out of their way to be mean to gays the gay movement would never have gotten anywhere in this country because it was the sympathy that normal straight people had for their situation that gave their movement life so the more hatred gays got the more support their movement received. It kind of snowballed into the thing we now think of as gay marriage.

I'm much older than most millennials. I remember the seventies because I lived it. I can tell you no one ever really hated gays. We knew some people were gay and most of us didn't care so I want to tell younger generations that it is a lie that every proceeding generation before you made ritual out of hating gays. We did think homosexuality was abnormal and/or immoral depending on what your background was (religious or non-religious) but no matter what your background was no one ever thought homosexuality was the normal standard of all sexual relationships. That much is true.

There were people who went out of their way to be mean to gays and almost everyone had a lot of sympathy for them because of that. Homosexuality was a kind of live and let live kind of sin because if it was between two consenting adults who really cared what they did. It was kind of treated like someone's private live that no one should pry into. It was the sympathy for them that created that and I feel if it wasn't for the few bozos who went out of their way to be mean to gays the gay movement would never have gotten anywhere in this country because it was the sympathy that normal straight people had for their situation that gave their movement life so the more hatred gays got the more support their movement received. It kind of snowballed into the thing we now think of as gay marriage.
I have plenty of friends in the past that hate them with a passion. Tell everyone you know that you're gay and you'll find out real quick who these people are.

The OP has a point. I remember that general atmosphere as well. People regarded them as just weird anomalies. One gay guy I knew though did get beat up all the time and there was a reason. He insisted on stalking hetero guys to try to "turn" them to be gay with him. His advances initially were met with "no dude, I'm not into that". But a couple of times he went out with friends and tried to get them drunk or use drugs and then hit more aggressively. It was these occasions where he came home broken up and bruised. He was attempting drug rape with his own friends!

Today his friends would be publicly brow-beaten and likely thrown in jail for "hate crime!"..

It's no different than anyone hating anyone else. Everybody hates one group of people, or another.

• Banned

I have plenty of friends in the past that hate them with a passion. Tell everyone you know that you're gay and you'll find out real quick who these people are.

That is why I said 'most people' not all people. The mean people usually created a lot of sympathy for homosexuals.

• Banned
The OP has a point. I remember that general atmosphere as well. People regarded them as just weird anomalies. One gay guy I knew though did get beat up all the time and there was a reason. He insisted on stalking hetero guys to try to "turn" them to be gay with him. His advances initially were met with "no dude, I'm not into that". But a couple of times he went out with friends and tried to get them drunk or use drugs and then hit more aggressively. It was these occasions where he came home broken up and bruised. He was attempting drug rape with his own friends!

Today his friends would be publicly brow-beaten and likely thrown in jail for "hate crime!"..

I generally don't like it when gay dudes check me out. It isn't their thoughts about me but more to the fact that they don't stop staring and smiling at me. It is kind of weird.

• Banned
No one? What kind of fantasy world are you from?

I guess the title was a little to literal. What I wrote is that most people didn't hate gays. I'm sure their were people who hated gays but I generally think that it has to do with some insecurity in their own sexuality. The gayest guy in the world was the one who thought they should all be put in concentration camps.

Not sure where you grew up?

But in the town I grew up. They were called queers not gays.

And if one was ever spotted in town, he would have been beaten senseless and bloody.

True story........ :cool:

I just re read my post and I didn't use the word most people. That is what I meant by 'no one ever really'.

The queer mafia and libturd agitprop ministries would like everyone to believe that there are mass graves full of dead rump rangers that were viciously beaten to death every night by pick up trucks full of red necks from Virginia to Texas.

Not sure where you grew up?

But in the town I grew up. They were called queers not gays.

And if one was ever spotted in town, he would have been beaten senseless and bloody.

True story........ :cool:

I'm just telling you my experience growing up. I never saw gangs of hetreosexuals vigilantes patrolling the neighborhoods for gay activities. I'm sure there were people who did do the things you said they did but there were probably lots of people who thought they should be left alone.

Sorta unreal, no one really? I think you need some gay friends.

"We are all creatures of our upbringings, our cultures, our times. And I have needed to remind myself, repeatedly, that my mother was born in the 1890s and had an Orthodox upbringing and that in England in the 1950s homosexual behavior was treated not only as a perversion but as a criminal offense. I have to remember, too, that sex is one of those areas — like religion and politics — where otherwise decent and rational people may have intense, irrational feelings." Oliver Sacks

know what really causes homosexuality....

Is homosexuality a choice, a mental illness or something simply inherent?

Sorta unreal, no one really? I think you need some gay friends.

"We are all creatures of our upbringings, our cultures, our times. And I have needed to remind myself, repeatedly, that my mother was born in the 1890s and had an Orthodox upbringing and that in England in the 1950s homosexual behavior was treated not only as a perversion but as a criminal offense. I have to remember, too, that sex is one of those areas — like religion and politics — where otherwise decent and rational people may have intense, irrational feelings." Oliver Sacks

know what really causes homosexuality....

I'm telling you my experience. Most of my friends didn't care if someone was gay. I didn't care if someone was gay and that is how most of the people I ever hung around felt about it. It was a non-issue and the only people who really wanted to stop gay behavior were people who had to much time to pry into someone else's lives.

Forum List

Back