New CarPower battery

New CarPower battery

I envision you pull up to a filling station but instead of filling your tank with gas you drive into a fast car wash looking narrow lane. A red-light pops on saying “STOP” .

You set your park break and wait as a robotic arm from under your car reaches up and removes you discharge battery and replaces it with a charged battery.

The exchange lasts for about 5 minutes which is less time than it would take to fill a conventional gas tank.

Your charge can propel the car at a speed of 60 mph for 300 miles.

I believe the above has an 85% chance of becoming a factual fact in the realm of automobile power sources.

What say you :)-

New CarPower battery

I envision you pull up to a filling station but instead of filling your tank with gas you drive into a fast car wash looking narrow lane. A red-light pops on saying “STOP” .

You set your park break and wait as a robotic arm from under your car reaches up and removes you discharge battery and replaces it with a charged battery.

The exchange lasts for about 5 minutes which is less time than it would take to fill a conventional gas tank.

I believe the above has an 85% chance of becoming a factual fact in the realm of automobile power sources.

Very possible. Here is one type of battery that fits that bill. Advantage is long range, disadvantage is that it is costly. However, looks like the cat's meow for aviation. Many, many battery designs being worked on and tested at present.

Now how much do you think this will cost to run a car per year. Electric costs and all....Go get an abacus
At present it costs far less to run an EV than it does to run an ICE vehicle. An EV requires far less maintenance, and the electricity costs far less than gasoline or diesel. The present work on replaceable batteries like aluminum-air show them to be quite expensive for autos, but ideal, if they can be mass produced, for aviation.

Very possible. Here is one type of battery that fits that bill. Advantage is long range, disadvantage is that it is costly. However, looks like the cat's meow for aviation. Many, many battery designs being worked on and tested at present.
Forgot to put in the link;

electricity costs far less than gasoline or diesel.
True---currently. If there are 350M EV's on the road, there will be unheard of draws on the electrical grid. Hell, CA experiences brown outs every summer now, what happens when 30M EV's draw from that grid every night? I think the emphasis should be put on the supply side if you know you are going to have the demand. These woke progs have their heads in their ass and can't see the ends of their noses.

At present it costs far less to run an EV than it does to run an ICE vehicle. An EV requires far less maintenance, and the electricity costs far less than gasoline or diesel. The present work on replaceable batteries like aluminum-air show them to be quite expensive for autos, but ideal, if they can be mass produced, for aviation.
Ahhhh...ahhh.ahhhh...bullsheet!!!!

New CarPower battery

Not in our lifetime

New CarPower battery

The inescapable problem with a very fast charge is that it creates a lot of heat due to the large number of amps that have to be drawn and that deteariates the battery and can damage the vehicle. Yes it would be great to charge a vehicle in 5 minutes and get 300 miles driving but that is just not practical with todays technology. The faster you charge a vehicle the more amps it must draw and the more amps that means more heat. There is another problem. The charging stations would have to be capable of supplying hundreds if not thousands of amps on demand. typically most charging stations today can only supply about 50 amps.

Last edited:

Whoopty Ding. That is pretty good if I plan to drive 300 miles a day. The test of a practical EV car is:
  1. Can I drive it in start and stop city traffic up and down hills every day?
  2. Will this thing work for years and years and years with no fuss nor bother?
  3. Can I abuse this thing, let it sit for weeks in the garage unused, forget to charge it regularly and so forth and still be there for me when I need it?

Whoopty Ding. That is pretty good if I plan to drive 300 miles a day. The test of a practical EV car is:
  1. Can I drive it in start and stop city traffic up and down hills every day?
  2. Will this thing work for years and years and years with no fuss nor bother?
  3. Can I abuse this thing, let it sit for weeks in the garage unused, forget to charge it regularly and so forth and still be there for me when I need it?
Suffice to say, current EV technology is shite.

a robotic arm from under your car reaches up and removes you discharge battery and replaces it with a charged battery.

Car batteries weigh nearly half a ton and are integrated into the frame. They also cost over $3,000 so the potential for swapping out a dummy battery pack for a real one would be a huge temptation.

Car batteries weigh nearly half a ton and are integrated into the frame. They also cost over $3,000 so the potential for swapping out a dummy battery pack for a real one would be a huge temptation.
Here's a point that I haven't seen addressed in this thread. What are we going to do with billions of discarded ICE vehicles and who is going to take it in the shorts for the late models that no one will be able to find fuel or parts for in places like CA where they are basically going to outlaw ICE by a certain date.

Here's a point that I haven't seen addressed in this thread. What are we going to do with billions of discarded ICE vehicles
1633190182334.png
1633190345701.png

:)-

Here's a point that I haven't seen addressed in this thread. What are we going to do with billions of discarded ICE vehicles and who is going to take it in the shorts for the late models that no one will be able to find fuel or parts for in places like CA where they are basically going to outlaw ICE by a certain date.
The governor's plan is to stop the sale of ICE autos and light trucks by 2035, not banning them from the roads. Considering how long cars stay on the road, it would take about 15 or years after banning the sale of ICEs for the majority of cars on the road to be electric. Commercial trucks that need to carry loads of over 20,000 lbs will be on the roads for lot longer but they too will go electric but it will a second generation batter and rethinking the long hauls. Don't expect 16 wheelers to go electric any time soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 500551

Then the grid lines give out because no one replaced them during the supposed infrastructure upgrades and they fried

*****SMILE*****

:)

Well, if we have a 'Conservative' government, they will do all they can to prevent any new infrastructure. However, the current government, if allowed to, will build out our grid both to obtain new energy sources as well as distribute it. You can choose what you want to do, continue to kiss the orange ass or actually achieve something for this nation.

I've spent a career working on various types of machines and the one thing they all have in common is that they break down. Electric motors burn up. Electrical boards fail. and the mechanical systems of a car break. Coupled with the fact that the amount of electricity that would be required to run that many electric vehicles is just not available and is not possible with the technology that we have today. In the future---maybe, but not without great leaps in technology that are way beyond what we have today.
Retired at 76 from a long career as an industrial millwright. Sawmills, construction, and steel mills. You are dead wrong. While mechanical systems do fail, electrical motors are far more durable than ICE's. And much more efficient. We have the technology right now to go 100% renewable. However, we are developing more efficient solar panels, that cost less as we post. And the wind turbines continue to cost less per MW every year. We can and will have the electricity to run EV's, including long haul semi's.

Forum List

Back