How We Use our Cars

I do. I've had a pickup for decades. I use it for firewood collecting, taking our garbage to the dump twice yearly (we compost most of our garbage, and recycle all metal in house) and picking up materials for my various building projects.
None of which actually requires a pickup.

None of which actually requires a pickup.
4×8 sheets of plywood sure do. I use about 40 of those a year. My dump runs sure do.

Firewood collection....you betcha. Or do think carrying a cord of wood can be done on a bicycle?

So try again.

Everybody needs a pickup truck. Sometimes.

And that's the rub. What about the other 362 days of the year?

So do you rent one, borrow one, or make do with a large SUV? My recent choice is to just have my shit delivered and pay the extra $50.
/——/ In the long run you just saved thousands every year.

In the past several months I'm seeing a ton of published material talking about why "you" should not buy one car or another, or why "you" should. But making general claims and giving advice on this basis is simply foolishness, and has no real value.

The. biggest target of course is EV's It should be obvious that EV's in general and specific EV's are designed to fill a customer's specific needs. If you have different needs, then it should be obvious that that vehicle was not made with you in mind, and why in the world would you publicly pronounce, "Hey, that car is useless to me!" Who gives a shit? Unless you have a place (typically a garage) where you can conveniently charge your EV over night, or alternatively, have a charger located conveniently for you (maybe where you work) and are willing to waste a bit of time there every couple days, then an EV Ain't for you. And let'w be completely candid here about Biden's fatuous declaration that ICE vehicles will no longer be available after 2030. The only thing that is assured is that Biden himself will have been planted by that time; but you will damn sure be able to buy an ICE car.

If you NEED a pickup truck for your business and you haul around a lot heavy stuff all day long, the Cyber Truck is probably not your choice. It has the power and payload you need, but accessing the bed from the side would be problematic, and small contractors need that ability. If you tow heavy loads long distances, again, maybe not for you. It will tow like hell - better than a Diesel - but the range is cut in half. The towing capacity of the C-T is intended for the person or family has something big and heavy that they tow occasionally. They take their boat to the lake and back once a year, or they tow their RV around the country once or twice a year. If this doesn't work for you, then get something else, and STFU about the Cyber Truck. Do you complain about ballet slippers that don't fit? No. They are not intended for you.

What about longevity in cars? Should you buy a Toyota or a Honda because it will last 10-12 years with no major problems? Maybe. But I (my wife, actually) only keep my cars for 3-4 years, and I don't really give a fuck what happens to them after I sell them. And because I don't buy that Camry or Accord, I don't get as much in trade when I sell my 4-year-old car, but I paid less for it at the outset, so so what?

I personally buy used cars with 30-40 thousand miles on them. I check sources like Consumer Reports to see what the problem areas are for that car, and before I close the deal I satisfy myself that any known issues are addressed. For example, I just bought a Dodge Journey, which has its battery positioned in a very awkward place, resulting in up to $500 to replace the battery. So I had the dealer provide me with a new battery as part of the deal. But again, I don't need that Journey to last 120,000 miles because it will be far off in my rear-view mirror by the time the odometer reaches that level. I will sell it at about 80 thousand miles.

I'm seeing regular articles now about how the "average" household cannot afford to buy a "typical" new car, the average price of which seems to have crept over $50 grand these days. But for a typical working class family that MUST buy a new car, there are tons of them in the high 20's and low 30's. Cars with hundred thousand mile factory warranties. Same for pickup trucks. People look at the sticker prices of these loaded up pickups and whine that the average cost for an F-150 is nearly 70 grand. Who cares? If you want a full-size pickup, look around. You can find one for forty. Maybe even buy a USED ONE! They do last forever, you know.

Parenthetically, my preferred type of vehicle - an extended cab, mid-sized pickup - has apparently been legislated out of existence. Maybe you can get one in a Tacoma, and they used to make the Colorado/Canyon that way, but no more. I suspect it might have something to do with their being compatible with kids' car seats. Regardless, a pickup with a six-foot bed and additional storage behind the seats that is protected from the elements (e.g., groceries) seems logical as hell to me, but the car buying public seems to have turned its back on them. It's the perfect vehicle for a golf venture.

When I read stories about houses and rentals that are becoming too expensive for Real People to afford them, there is probably some validity to that, but for vehicles, you can always find something in your budget that you can use.
My wife and I only buy used cars, because that is all we can afford. I gave up the "you should only buy Toyota's or Honda's mentality" long ago because they seem overpriced used cars especially after COVID. If the price is right, we will get it. She had a 1995 Honda she bought for $1,500 that had 150,000 miles on it... she used it till it got 250,000 miles on it and it went to the junk yard. That was before COVID now that same car I see people wanting like 5k-7k for it, no too much money.

Now she drives a a 1988 Nissan with 55,000 miles on it that she bought for like $800. It was very old car, but looked in decent condition with very little rust. No one was buying the car at a used lot, seller came down from 3k to $800 for the car. Its not a Honda or Toyota but it runs fine.

Naah. A car and a small trailer would work.
How stupid is that. Multiple trips to do a job I can do in one. An articulated vehicle which complicates EVERYTHING, especially in the woods where trailers get in the way of everything. Plus a car has low ground clearance so wouldn't even be capable of going where I go.

You must be a city dweller who has zero experience living in nature.

How stupid is that. Multiple trips to do a job I can do in one. An articulated vehicle which complicates EVERYTHING, especially in the woods where trailers get in the way of everything. Plus a car has low ground clearance so wouldn't even be capable of going where I go.

You must be a city dweller who has zero experience living in nature.
Actually, a small trailer holds MORE than most pickups, in both weight and volume-especially today's super-short pickup beds.

I'm sorry for your lack of driving skill.

Actually, a small trailer holds MORE than most pickups, in both weight and volume-especially today's super-short pickup beds.

I'm sorry for your lack of driving skill.

GCVW says otherwise. I drive a 29 year old long bed pickup truck.

I'm sorry you don't know how to drive a stick shift.

Must suck to be such a poor driver.

GCVW says otherwise. I drive a 29 year old long bed pickup truck.

I'm sorry you don't know how to drive a stick shift.

Must suck to be such a poor driver.
The next pickup I see able to hold a full cord of wood will be the first. Even many small trailers ("small" usually 8-10; longer than a pickup bed) hold more than a longbed truck. (And they're MUCH easier to load and unload, being shorter.)

Are you having a stroke?

The next pickup I see able to hold a full cord of wood will be the first. Even many small trailers ("small" usually 8-10; longer than a pickup bed) hold more than a longbed truck. (And they're MUCH easier to load and unload, being shorter.)

Are you having a stroke?

Are you stupid? Do you even understand what GCVW means?

Here's a hint, it isn't about dimensions, it's about PAYLOAD. My payload is over 4,000 pounds.

Your tiny car has a payload measured in a couple of hundred pounds.

Your trailer will certainly have a payload of over a ton, but.....Your car doesn't have the TOWING rating to tow it.

Remember, junior, it isn't about pulling the load, it's about STOPPING the load.

Your tiny car will jacknife and only kill you if you're lucky.

We had a poor family killed down in Carson city by a nimrod who didn't understand that.

Are you stupid? Do you even understand what GCVW means?

Here's a hint, it isn't about dimensions, it's about PAYLOAD. My payload is over 4,000 pounds.

Your tiny car has a payload measured in a couple of hundred pounds.

Your trailer will certainly have a payload of over a ton, but.....Your car doesn't have the TOWING rating to tow it.

Remember, junior, it isn't about pulling the load, it's about STOPPING the load.

Your tiny car will jacknife and only kill you if you're lucky.

We had a poor family killed down in Carson city by a nimrod who didn't understand that.
You're a legend in your own mind. You're also so full of shit it bubbles out your ears!

The last car I towed extensively with had a payload of just under 1600lbs. (Not published-that was GVWR minus weight on a truck scale.) Tow rating was either 5000 or 5500lbs. (Seen both, though I never towed that much-it handled ~3000lbs easily.) Many cars/SUVs/minivans will tow 3500lbs. (I recall my Magnum was rated for 3800lbs.) I probably put 25,000 miles on my Cadillac with a trailer hooked up. Nobody but you has mentioned a "tiny" car-put down the club, your straw man died last week.

Look, I get it-your ego demands you drive an enormous truck, despite having little to no reason for doing so. Whenever anyone realizes this, you respond by foaming at the mouth and railing against them.

You're a legend in your own mind. You're also so full of shit it bubbles out your ears!

The last car I towed extensively with had a payload of just under 1600lbs. (Not published-that was GVWR minus weight on a truck scale.) Tow rating was either 5000 or 5500lbs. (Seen both, though I never towed that much-it handled ~3000lbs easily.) Many cars/SUVs/minivans will tow 3500lbs. (I recall my Magnum was rated for 3800lbs.) I probably put 25,000 miles on my Cadillac with a trailer hooked up. Nobody but you has mentioned a "tiny" car-put down the club, your straw man died last week.

Look, I get it-your ego demands you drive an enormous truck, despite having little to no reason for doing so. Whenever anyone realizes this, you respond by foaming at the mouth and railing against them.
:itsok: :itsok: :itsok: So, to do what i do in ONE trip, you have to do in multiple trips. It isn't my ego you blithering jackass, it's called EFFICIENCY!

Unlike you, my time is valuable.

And like I said, unlike you city dweller, I live in the mountains. We average 22 to 23 feet of snow per year. Your big old ego supporting cadillac would be snowed in for the duration.

Not my truck.

Dumbass.

EV's in general and specific EV's are designed to fill a customer's specific needs. If you have different needs,

If made for specific "needs" then why did CA say only EV by 2035? Why did Obiden try to rid OIL....why make power plant to charge cars so expensive.

your argument is correct in a world without IGNORANT foolish un-qualified idiots in charge of decisions//

:itsok: :itsok: :itsok: So, to do what i do in ONE trip, you have to do in multiple trips. It isn't my ego you blithering jackass, it's called EFFICIENCY!

Unlike you, my time is valuable.

And like I said, unlike you city dweller, I live in the mountains. We average 22 to 23 feet of snow per year. Your big old ego supporting cadillac would be snowed in for the duration.

Not my truck.

Dumbass.
Ok, calm down, you're going to pop a blood vessel.

First,your reading comprehension is nil. No multiple trips-the contrary, a trailer usually holds MORE than a pickup. I like pickups, but I don't pretend I needed one for much beyond plowing snow. I used it because I gad it,but in many cases, a trailer would probably have been easier.

Second...where in the United States does anyone regularly get 260" of snow per year?

Ok, calm down, you're going to pop a blood vessel.

First,your reading comprehension is nil. No multiple trips-the contrary, a trailer usually holds MORE than a pickup. I like pickups, but I don't pretend I needed one for much beyond plowing snow. I used it because I gad it,but in many cases, a trailer would probably have been easier.

Second...where in the United States does anyone regularly get 260" of snow per year?
PAYLOAD. Your trailer, unless it's a big one, will have less payload than my truck. But more to the point, I would laugh my ass off as your little trailer got stuck as you tried to maneuver it through the trees up here. You simply have no clue what you are talking about.

As for where in the USA we get that kind of snow, TAHOE!

This is a half mile from my place.

MtRose-1240x827.jpg

PAYLOAD. Your trailer, unless it's a big one, will have less payload than my truck. But more to the point, I would laugh my ass off as your little trailer got stuck as you tried to maneuver it through the trees up here. You simply have no clue what you are talking about.

As for where in the USA we get that kind of snow, TAHOE!

This is a half mile from my place.

MtRose-1240x827.jpg
Trailers are easy to maneuver, I do it every day.

Forum List

Back