New CarPower battery

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
New CarPower battery

I envision you pull up to a filling station but instead of filling your tank with gas you drive into a fast car wash looking narrow lane. A red-light pops on saying “STOP” .

You set your park break and wait as a robotic arm from under your car reaches up and removes you discharge battery and replaces it with a charged battery.

The exchange lasts for about 5 minutes which is less time than it would take to fill a conventional gas tank.

Your charge can propel the car at a speed of 60 mph for 300 miles.

I believe the above has an 85% chance of becoming a factual fact in the realm of automobile power sources.

What say you :)-

1623527861693.png

Then the grid lines give out because no one replaced them during the supposed infrastructure upgrades and they fried

*****SMILE*****

:)

New CarPower battery

I envision you pull up to a filling station but instead of filling your tank with gas you drive into a fast car wash looking narrow lane. A red-light pops on saying “STOP” .

You set your park break and wait as a robotic arm from under your car reaches up and removes you discharge battery and replaces it with a charged battery.

The exchange lasts for about 5 minutes which is less time than it would take to fill a conventional gas tank.

I believe the above has an 85% chance of becoming a factual fact in the realm of automobile power sources.

I don't see this happening for a few reasons. First, since the day of the computer, companies making new technology will never get together on standards for the batteries. Sizes, capacities and operational imperatives will be different between mfrs. Secondly, I don't think the safety concerns that accompany the new battery technology would ever allow someone to remain in the vehicle while a battery change was accomplished. Vehicle sizes would also dictate some size restrictions i.e. a 3/4 ton truck would not use the same battery as a Prius. I think your idea has merit, but I don't think the mfg. climate would ever change--look at Microsoft and Apple.

#1) With all the different car brands and models. You would have to build a huge warehouse full of batteries at every battery exchange location to service the various cars.
#2) The entire underside of cars like the Tesla is the battery. To replace the battery; the body of the car must be unbolted and lifted off the frame. Which can take several hours. ... :cool:

Checking in on Tesla’s Austin-area factory

Nov. 30, 2020

1623529375460.png

Construction of the planned Tesla factory in southeastern Travis County has been proceeding so fast that watching it take shape is practically a spectator sport.

Here are five things to know about the facility, which is at Texas 130 and Harold Green Road.

1. Tesla appears intent on producing more than cars here

The company has said it will manufacture many of its electric vehicles at the factory, but it has filed for a permit from the state to produce batteries as well. That would make the facility among the first Tesla locations to have both full-scale battery and vehicle production.

Tesla, which is based in California, hasn’t publicly confirmed the battery operation, but an air-quality permit application it filed with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality makes things pretty clear.

This place is in Austin, Texas.

Checking in on Tesla's Austin-area factory (statesman.com)

New CarPower battery

Now how much do you think this will cost to run a car per year. Electric costs and all....Go get an abacus

#1) With all the different car brands and models. You would have to build a huge warehouse full of batteries at every battery exchange location to service the various cars.
#2) The entire underside of cars like the Tesla is the battery. To replace the battery; the body of the car must be unbolted and lifted off the frame. Which can take several hours. ... :cool:

Actually, Tesla has been planning for this for several years. They have a setup much like the OP described except you pull up and the robotic arms come from under the car.

And it exchanges the entire battery tray in less time than it takes to fillup an Audi with gas.

why not just lose the battery altogether?
run a high frequency cable under the road that electro magnetically provides electricity to the car?
no more battery problem
could be used on all major roads
a small engine could get you from the road to home

The only real problem with this system is the cars would last almost forever, hence there would not be the market in commodities that people are getting rich off of.

The sad fact is, the battery designed car is made to be disposable item, like a razor or a tube of toothpaste. Use it a couple years and then by a new one. With Batteries, Wall St. has a market for millions of tons of lithium, millions of tons of cobalt, billions of tons of silicon.

Electric engines are very effective and long lasting. Batteries are throw away items that are designed to be consumed and thrown away. As long as we have cars dependent on batteries cars will be just another long list of junk that ends up in dump long before it should.

Batteries, I guess the lithium battery was a lie all this time. Now it is obsolete. Your brand new Tesla is now, obsolete.

why not just lose the battery altogether?
run a high frequency cable under the road that electro magnetically provides electricity to the car?
no more battery problem
could be used on all major roads
a small engine could get you from the road to home

The only real problem with this system is the cars would last almost forever, hence there would not be the market in commodities that people are getting rich off of.

The sad fact is, the battery designed car is made to be disposable item, like a razor or a tube of toothpaste. Use it a couple years and then by a new one. With Batteries, Wall St. has a market for millions of tons of lithium, millions of tons of cobalt, billions of tons of silicon.

Electric engines are very effective and long lasting. Batteries are throw away items that are designed to be consumed and thrown away. As long as we have cars dependent on batteries cars will be just another long list of junk that ends up in dump long before it should.

Batteries, I guess the lithium battery was a lie all this time. Now it is obsolete. Your brand new Tesla is now, obsolete.
What happens when you go off road or on a dirt road? What happens when there is a power outage on that particular piece of road?

I don't see it happening...
Too much juice needed for too many battery chargers... also too much lithium needed. (An environmentally unfriendly material)

Then there's the whole issue with bad batteries. LiOn batteries are junk when cracked. When the bad batteries get exchanged for good ones it's not a good thing.

What happens when you go off road or on a dirt road? What happens when there is a power outage on that particular piece of road?
I think an electric car only makes sense in a big city, and it certainly does not make sense using massive batteries that we know, will deplete the world's reserves of whichever element is used.

I think an electric car only makes sense in a big city, and it certainly does not make sense using massive batteries that we know, will deplete the world's reserves of whichever element is used.

Up to this point most "green technologies" are the most polluting technologies in existence... from the silicon extraction and purification to the aluminum smelting...all of them are more polluting than anything else commonly used.

Then on top of this...
The laws are going faster than the technological advances can keep up.

Battery powered cars are a stop gap for some other technology that will require fuel. But the conversion technology just isn't there yet.

Up to this point most "green technologies" are the most polluting technologies in existence... from the silicon extraction and purification to the aluminum smelting...all of them are more polluting than anything else commonly used.

Then on top of this...
The laws are going faster than the technological advances can keep up.

Battery powered cars are a stop gap for some other technology that will require fuel. But the conversion technology just isn't there yet.
I agree
I dont want to see battery powered cars, I think directly powered by electricity, in cities such as los angeles where millions commute, an electric powered car without a battery makes sense.

I agree
I dont want to see battery powered cars, I think directly powered by electricity, in cities such as los angeles where millions commute, an electric powered car without a battery makes sense.
So if cars were directly powered by the LEC (local electric company) then they have to have a mileage tax based upon the miles traveled....but then someone enterprising would create something akin to the battery powered scooters with GPS...and it would be horrible.

a small gas engine backup, a small battery back up, it is senseless to continue with this idea that we can simply replace cars like a worn out razor
I've spent a career working on various types of machines and the one thing they all have in common is that they break down. Electric motors burn up. Electrical boards fail. and the mechanical systems of a car break. Coupled with the fact that the amount of electricity that would be required to run that many electric vehicles is just not available and is not possible with the technology that we have today. In the future---maybe, but not without great leaps in technology that are way beyond what we have today.

I've spent a career working on various types of machines and the one thing they all have in common is that they break down. Electric motors burn up. Electrical boards fail. and the mechanical systems of a car break. Coupled with the fact that the amount of electricity that would be required to run that many electric vehicles is just not available and is not possible with the technology that we have today. In the future---maybe, but not without great leaps in technology that are way beyond what we have today.
Power generation is definitely going to be an issue.
California doesn't have enough...and because it currently draws all available power from surrounding states Texas, which once had a huge electricity producing glut, is now running short on electricity.

Those terawatts have to be generated somewhere by something. Power plants don't just happen either.

Watts have a direct proportional relationship with torque and horsepower.

Which directly relates to vehicles going down the road.

Currently we use magnetic attraction (gravity is magnetic attraction) or combustion to create expanding gasses that create torque and horsepower. Is there anything else that can be harnessed that can be harnessed to create torque and horsepower? Electricity and combustion are easy...what else is out there has yet to be discovered? But until they are...it's all we got.

Forum List

Back