Naturally Good Food

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
There was a discussion the other day having to do with food that has no nutritional value but we like it anyway. Velveeta cheese, Pringles, Cheese Wiz ... I'd like a thread about healthy and nutritional food that also tastes good.

I'm having cereal this morning, one that I picked up at the store after seeing an ad for it. Post, Great Grains with pecans, tastes like honey clusters and some other stuff I haven't identified yet. I don't like sugar or even sugar substitutes but it's good without either.

I love Cheerios and Chex cereals too but I have eggs a couple of times a week.

If you have good natural foods that you'd like to share, please feel free!

There was a discussion the other day having to do with food that has no nutritional value but we like it anyway. Velveeta cheese, Pringles, Cheese Wiz ... I'd like a thread about healthy and nutritional food that also tastes good.

I'm having cereal this morning, one that I picked up at the store after seeing an ad for it. Post, Great Grains with pecans, tastes like honey clusters and some other stuff I haven't identified yet. I don't like sugar or even sugar substitutes but it's good without either.

Egg whites, steamed salmon, honey instead of sugar, bell peppers of any color (the orange ones seem sweeter to me), broccoli, asparagus, fruits, raw vegetables, single malt scotch.....all these things are good to me.

Egg Beaters are made of egg whites. and taste okay if you add pepper and a dash of salt....but you can only scramble it or make an omelet and there's no egg as good as an over-light fried jumbo chicken egg with a hot, runny yellow, slid right out of the skillet onto a toasted walnut waffle....unless it's a poached egg in a Brennan's breakfast in New Orleans after a night on the town.

I tried both natural peanut butter and natural hot dogs. Both are good.

Unlike the regular peanut butter though, the natural peanut butter isn't as sweet, and needs to be kept in the fridge. Still tastes great on toast for breakfast.

The natural Oscar Mayer beef hot dogs are great when having a cookout.

Egg whites, steamed salmon, honey instead of sugar, bell peppers of any color (the orange ones seem sweeter to me), broccoli, asparagus, fruits, raw vegetables, single malt scotch.....all these things are good to me.

Egg Beaters are made of egg whites. and taste okay if you add pepper and a dash of salt....but you can only scramble it or make an omelet and there's no egg as good as an over-light fried jumbo chicken egg with a hot, runny yellow, slid right out of the skillet onto a toasted walnut waffle....unless it's a poached egg in a Brennan's breakfast in New Orleans after a night on the town.

I like the egg on the waffle. That sounds really good. Bell peppers are great too.

I tried both natural peanut butter and natural hot dogs. Both are good.

Unlike the regular peanut butter though, the natural peanut butter isn't as sweet, and needs to be kept in the fridge. Still tastes great on toast for breakfast.

The natural Oscar Mayer beef hot dogs are great when having a cookout.

Peanut butter is good too, I eat breakfast sandwiches and that is one I would like.

There is almost nothing healthy in even the most "healthy" breakfast cereals. Eat whole eggs every day, cooked any way.

Naturally good foods- meat, eggs, fish, fowl, veggies, cheese. Fruit is okay but way too proclaimed as something great. It's full of sugar and should be eaten sparingly. Fruit juice is garbage, pure sugar. May as well drink soda.

Greens.. collards, beet greens, turnip greens, baby kale, mustard greens.. or mixed greens.

Fruit juice is garbage, pure sugar. May as well drink soda.
Absolutely. That is the reason I have soda with my meals (or sometimes beer). I figure if fruit juice is loaded with sugar as is soda, I may as well go with the drink that I enjoy more. Black coffee or tea is a way better substitute than the sugary drinks. Problem is when it's really hot, you can't substitute a nice cold drink.

Greens.. collards, beet greens, turnip greens, baby kale, mustard greens.. or mixed greens.

I love beets! I like greens too but I always use dressing.
Same here! Olive oil which is supposed to be healthier than salad dressing has way more calories than the salad dressing. I like either French or Ranch dressing, both taste good, and the calorie count is less than olive oil.

There is almost nothing healthy in even the most "healthy" breakfast cereals.
Shredded wheat is good as it has zero sugar. May not be as tasty as the other cereals, but a real good choice for the health conscious.

In general wheat is not a healthy food, not anymore anyway. Science is discovering the ravages of gluten on the human body. Gluten free is getting huge because lots of people are discovering that their gastro intestinal ills are due to wheat allergies.

This is a great book - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health-ebook/dp/B00571F26Y]Amazon.com: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back To Health eBook: William Davis MD: Kindle Store[/ame]

To be fair, many people have no issues with wheat, and certainly Shredded Wheat is better than Sugar Smacks, because it not only has no unnecessary crap added, but also because it is less processed and digests slower in the system keeping insulin levels in the normal range.

Last edited:
When I was young, we were poor. My mom still made every effort to provide a balanced diet. One of my favorite meals was poached eggs on a bed of spinach.

That is a really healthy meal. The protein also holds over your appetite.

Egg whites are a great way to start the day, as they have zero cholesterol. However, you can still have egg yolks a few times per week as they are loaded with nutrition.

I find the red bell peppers sweeter than the orange, however because of their orange color, the orange bell peppers are higher in alpha, beta, and gamma carotene. Both are very nutritional.

When I was young, we were poor. My mom still made every effort to provide a balanced diet. One of my favorite meals was poached eggs on a bed of spinach.

My mom did too. That was one thing I admired about her. She was also so good with making a dollar stretch impossibly.

Egg whites are a great way to start the day, as they have zero cholesterol. However, you can still have egg yolks a few times per week as they are loaded with nutrition.

I find the red bell peppers sweeter than the orange, however because of their orange color, the orange bell peppers are higher in alpha, beta, and gamma carotene. Both are very nutritional.

I just don't like egg whites. Poached eggs are great but I like the yolks in them.

Forum List

Back