More simple advice for losing weight that I practice, good time to try during self isolation/less movement

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I didn't do this in the past, but in the last few years it has become an autonomous routine. Take it for what you will, I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but this is what I personally do. I'm not trying to dumb it down, I just want to be precise with some of the things I do.

- Drink a glass of water before a meal. This sends a message to your brain that you are full and you will eat less in sittings (just put the rest as leftovers). As an example. In the past, if I shared an extra large pizza with my wife for dinner, I now would eat half the quantities in one sitting, sometimes less. I eat the rest for lunch or dinner the next day.

- Do simple comparisons of similar items. Take two pieces of whole wheat bread vs a piece of whole wheat pita bread for example. Compare calories, sugar, carbs, protein and fibre, force yourself to eat the best option, at least most of the time. I love bread too much to just cut it out completely, but if I force myself to an 80/20 or even 60/40 split between what is healthier compared to "what I want", it's a big improvement.

- Walk after a meal. I posted this in another thread. If you don't, or can't go for a walk outside, do it in your backyard or apartment. One of the biggest mistakes I used to make was overeat, sit down for with a full belly, and either sleep, or just stay docile on the couch. Now I do SOMETHING. Ideally, I go for the walk around the block, if I don't, I will go up and down the stairs a couple of times, go for a stroll in my backyard, or even ride my bike on a very low setting for a minute or two.

I've even walked around inside for a couple of hundred steps, just to force the body into "active mode". Nothing heavy of course, as you will often get sick after a meal. However, the body has to start burning in those critical moments after eating.

Trying to turn such a horrific and ridiculous situation into one in which we can take some positive practices out of during the down time.

Have a good one.

Last edited:
I've gotten in the habit of drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning before coffee. You are the most dehydrated after a night of sleep. I run every other day in the morning. I eat very little before the run that way by the time I've done 3 or 4 miles I have burned those calories and then some. Then I eat whatever I want the rest of the day.

I didn't do this in the past, but in the last few years it has become an autonomous routine. Take it for what you will, I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but this is what I personally do. I'm not trying to dumb it down, I just want to be precise with some of the things I do.

- Drink a glass of water before a meal. This sends a message to your brain that you are full and you will eat less in sittings (just put the rest as leftovers). As an example. In the past, if I shared an extra large pizza with my wife for dinner, I now would eat half the quantities in one sitting, sometimes less. I eat the rest for lunch or dinner the next day.

- Do simple comparisons of similar items. Take two pieces of whole wheat bread vs a piece of whole wheat pita bread for example. Compare calories, sugar, carbs, protein and fibre, force yourself to eat the best option, at least most of the time. I love bread too much to just cut it out completely, but if I force myself to an 80/20 or even 60/40 split between what is healthier compared to "what I want", it's a big improvement.

- Walk after a meal. I posted this in another thread. If you don't, or can't go for a walk outside, do it in your backyard or apartment. One of the biggest mistakes I used to make was overeat, sit down for with a full belly, and either sleep, or just stay docile on the couch. Now I do SOMETHING. Ideally, I go for the walk around the block, if I don't, I will go up and down the stairs a couple of times, go for a stroll in my backyard, or even ride my bike on a very low setting for a minute or two.

I've even walked around inside for a couple of hundred steps, just to force the body into "active mode". Nothing heavy of course, as you will often get sick after a meal. However, the body has to start burning in those critical moments after eating.

Trying to turn such a horrific and ridiculous situation into one in which we can take some positive practices out of during the down time.

Timely and wise advice and universally useful, thank you.

Only one question remains:

Have a good one.

You can't see me --- how do you KNOW I have a good one? :eek:

Forum List

Back