Mitch McConnell Votes Against Interracial Marriage Despite Asian Wife

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell voted against legislation that would protect interracial marriages on Wednesday, despite the fact that he's married to an Asian American woman.

McConnell, who is white, is the husband of former U.S. Secretary for Transportation Elaine Chao, the first woman of Asian heritage to be appointed to a presidential cabinet.

The Kentucky Republican was one of 37 GOP senators who opposed a motion to advance on the Respect for Marriage Act (RFMA), but the procedural vote succeeded with a bipartisan majority of 62, with one senator not voting.

The Senate is divided, with 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans, but the vote means that formal debate could take place on the legislation, while the Senate could pass the bill as early as Thursday.

The RFMA passed the House of Representatives in a bipartisan vote in July.

Many social-media users criticized McConnell following the vote and pointed to his relationship with Chao, whom he married in 1993.

I can't believe this is even a topic in 2022.

How many right wingers are against interracial marriage?
You are buying into a crafted narrative. No surprise.
The "Respect for Marriage" act was not about interracial marriage specifically. It is a symbolic act to reaffirm gay marriage as the same as traditional marriage, and included a byline of "non traditional" marriage. And biracial marriages fit into that.
It is meaningless. There are exactly ZERO laws or measures that, in any way, penalize inter-racial marriage. NONE.
This is just another political game.
And you all fall for it - EVERY TIME.

I'm no fan of Mitch but that still doesn't hide the fact this another false equivalency coming from the Pravda minions.

No one anywhere has even broached eliminating peoples right to inter racial marriage but continue to gaslight the low IQs.
It works really well on the progbot lemmings

You can thank Clarence for these actions.

Justice Thomas says court should reconsider same-sex marriage

You can also thank all of those who said Democrats are to blame for RvW being overturned as they took no legal actions to make sure it remained.

the question you have to ask though is, under what legal authority does Congress have to regulate either? Look to Art 1 Section 8

Equal protection. I've argued this before. Get the government 100% out of marriage and that argument becomes moot.

Equal protection. I've argued this before. Get the government 100% out of marriage and that argument becomes moot.
that’s a 14th amendment issue, states have to comply with….the abortion issue in Roe wasn’t decided on Equal Protection thus easily overturned unlike the marriage cases

Congress‘s powers are limited to Art 1 Sec 8.

that’s a 14th amendment issue, states have to comply with….the abortion issue in Roe wasn’t decided on Equal Protection thus easily overturned unlike the marriage cases

Congress‘s powers are limited to Art 1 Sec 8.

Thomas opened his mouth and Congress acted. You can argue whatever you want but that's what happened.

Thomas opened his mouth and Congress acted. You can argue whatever you want but that's what happened.
well judges make opinions irs what they do

my only question was what authority? clearly they have none, so this is just nonsense from the left

well judges make opinions irs what they do

my only question was what authority? clearly they have none, so this is just nonsense from the left

The vote has been about as bi-partisan as one can get today.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell voted against legislation that would protect interracial marriages on Wednesday, despite the fact that he's married to an Asian American woman.

McConnell, who is white, is the husband of former U.S. Secretary for Transportation Elaine Chao, the first woman of Asian heritage to be appointed to a presidential cabinet.

The Kentucky Republican was one of 37 GOP senators who opposed a motion to advance on the Respect for Marriage Act (RFMA), but the procedural vote succeeded with a bipartisan majority of 62, with one senator not voting.

The Senate is divided, with 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans, but the vote means that formal debate could take place on the legislation, while the Senate could pass the bill as early as Thursday.

The RFMA passed the House of Representatives in a bipartisan vote in July.

Many social-media users criticized McConnell following the vote and pointed to his relationship with Chao, whom he married in 1993.

I can't believe this is even a topic in 2022.

How many right wingers are against interracial marriage?
No laws and no states are preventing interracial marriage

That was a red herring dems threw in to impress low IQ libs

No laws and no states are preventing interracial marriage

That was a red herring dems threw in to impress low IQ libs

If the court had ruled that the Federal government does not have to equally protect marriage like Clarence Thomas said they need to consider, a state could ban any marriages they wanted to.

If the court had ruled that the Federal government does not have to equally protect marriage like Clarence Thomas said they need to consider, a state could ban any marriages they wanted to.
I understand

Men and their horse or sheep have rights too I suppose

Oldest game in Congress, write a bill that is full of unrelated bullshit and when it fails launch a propaganda campaign based on one teeny little bullshit item in the bill that will be seized upon by the most weak-minded and spread as an attack on those that didn't vote for bullshit.

Oldest game in Congress, write a bill that is full of unrelated bullshit and when it fails launch a propaganda campaign based on one teeny little bullshit item in the bill that will be seized upon by the most weak-minded and spread as an attack on those that didn't vote for bullshit.

It hasn't failed.

And then there is marriage to small children which is another future cause for liberals to advance

Forum List

Back