Militarization of Police- DHS

I don't mind police having access to an MRAP or other armored vehicle

Some situations under which police come under fire require an armored vehicle to protect the police and innocent civilians
Comparing the MRAP to the type of armored vehicle suitable for civilian police operations is like comparing an M-16 to a 105mm howitzer. Highly questionable overkill. The MRAP is just one more example of the redundant and extraneous growth of a Law Enforcement Industrial Complex.

The problem with conditioning civilian police (them) to feel like soldiers is it's likely to eventually cause them to regard the public (us) as the enemy.

The military is dumping MRAPs and they are either cheap or free to local law enforcement. I don't think every local law enforcement agency needs one but it would be nice to have access to one

Our government is firing all the military personnel that might protect us.

People are stupid, and they're going to die because of it.

Poor lunatic conspiracist.

I can always tell when it's time for you to slam.

As everybody (else) understands...I am stating that you and your moronic ilk will die at the hands of the DHS and like organziations..not at the hand of these imaginary "teapers" you have fixated on.

:lol:

"the Defense Department has announced that thousands of soldiers — many serving as commanding officers in Afghanistan — will be notified in the coming weeks that their service to the country is no longer needed.
Last week, more than 1,100 Army captains — the men and women who know best how to fight this enemy because they have experienced multiple deployments — were told they’ll be retired from the Army."

Sending pink slips to a war zone | New York Post

I'm not sure what the hysterical giggle fit is about, but anyway...

It takes the mind of a "lunatic conspiracist" to translate that NYPost OP-ED into "Our government is firing all the military personnel that might protect us.".

"the Defense Department has announced that thousands of soldiers — many serving as commanding officers in Afghanistan — will be notified in the coming weeks that their service to the country is no longer needed.
Last week, more than 1,100 Army captains — the men and women who know best how to fight this enemy because they have experienced multiple deployments — were told they’ll be retired from the Army."

Sending pink slips to a war zone | New York Post

I'm not sure what the hysterical giggle fit is about, but anyway...

It takes the mind of a "lunatic conspiracist" to translate that NYPost OP-ED into "Our government is firing all the military personnel that might protect us.".

She must be a drug addict

Some situations under which police come under fire require an armored vehicle to protect the police and innocent civilians
MRAP's are made for War Zones. In what situation would a Civilian P.D. need one?

Hostage situation, sniper, suspected bomb

Suppose there is a sniper in the Clock Tower who is pinning down citizens in an open area. An armored vehicle to rescue them would come in handy

Woman trapped by Charles Whitman the Texas Tower sniper

Darehshori_1966_University_of_Texas.jpg
That extremely rare situation called for requesting an armored vehicle from the local National Guard armory -- not giving small town police forces MRAPs -- just in case!

Oh they're just getting started.

Please, the use of the term "lunatic conspiracist" to describe anyone but nutz in this thread, given his obvious issues, is painting it a bit pink, don't you think?

MRAP's are made for War Zones. In what situation would a Civilian P.D. need one?

I wouldn't say that they "need" them.

But they have them.

How does the police having MRAPs hurt you, or anyone else?

So they give those things away??

Oh they're just getting started.

Please, the use of the term "lunatic conspiracist" to describe anyone but nutz in this thread, given his obvious issues, is painting it a bit pink, don't you think?

Why are they being fired?

Here, Radley Balko, author of the book "Rise Of The Warrior Cop" has a civil discussion with an Ohio Sheriff. Both agree SWAT teams are essential in coping with situations where violence has already escalated. They somewhat agree that a certain degree of mission creep has happened with the expanding number of SWAT teams. Using a SWAT team to serve a warrant for example versus quelling a riot that is already under way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suppose there is a sniper in the Clock Tower who is pinning down citizens in an open area. An armored vehicle to rescue them would come in handy

That extremely rare situation called for requesting an armored vehicle from the local National Guard armory -- not giving small town police forces MRAPs -- just in case!

It still happens

Not just snipers, but armed robbers, hostage takers, guy wanting to commit suicide by cop and taking a cop with him. Bomb squads can use an MRAP. There are times when a local police force needs access to an armored vehicle

If it saves one cops life, I am OK with it

It still happens

Not just snipers, but armed robbers, hostage takers, guy wanting to commit suicide by cop and taking a cop with him. Bomb squads can use an MRAP. There are times when a local police force needs access to an armored vehicle

If it saves one cops life, I am OK with it

You are a statist libturd...a racist...and a drug addict!

:lol:

Deterrence?

When being attacked by teapers who have already threatened to use women and children on the front lines when they start their revolution?
That is what the National Guard is for.

Being able to arrest bad guys with weapons of equal value?
Bad guys with MRAPs?

Moving into locations where this is heavy fire to gain the tactical advantage?

Fight terrorists in case the unthinkable happens?
"Unthinkable?"

Specifics please.

To safely respond to terrorist attacks and threats?
These MRAPs are huge, clumsy vehicles which are designed for battlefield/minefield use, not civilian environments. They have been described as analogous to wearing a Medieval-style suit of armor. The chance of actually needing such overkill is extremely rare.

Why wouldn't you want your police force to protect you?
Against what? An armed invasion? That's what we have an Army for.

Last edited:
I don't mind police having access to an MRAP or other armored vehicle.

Hostage situation, sniper, suspected bomb.

Woman trapped by Charles Whitman the Texas Tower sniper.
Darehshori_1966_University_of_Texas.jg
Three men went up that tower and took him out.

How would an MRAP have helped in that situation?

Is there an MRAP Helicopter I don't know about?

So the type of weapon a police force has determines whether or not it is a police state? I don't understand how a gun rights activist would prevent authorities from having the weapons of their choice. Also, if you believe in state's rights...why wouldn't you wan't a prepared and able police force?

Because when every department of the government has a police force they are far more inclined to use them irresponsibly. We need local cops and state cops and the FBI. we don't need DHS, IRS SWAT teams, water dept. police, fire protection police, etc. etc. etc.

Here is a list of all the Federal Police agencies. The vast majority are not needed, and are in fact interfering with each other.

Federal Law Enforcement Agencies

But that is not the premise of the thread. The OP says we are becoming a police state because local forces are becoming too well armed.

DHS is not local...

MRAPs became necessary because soldiers were deployed in hostile urban areaswhere they did not know who the enemy was. IEDs, sniper attacks, RPGs all could come out of nowhere

After Iraq/Afghanistan the Military had alot of excess MRAPs. Rather than scrap them, they made them available to state and local law enforcement

If they can use them, I have no objection to them getting them

http://news.yahoo.com/as-wars-wind-down--small-town-cops-inherit-armored-vehicles-233505138.html

The supply of extra MRAPs is likely to only increase — the government spent $50 billion to produce 27,000 of them in 2007.

“Now that the Iraq and Afghanistan war has wound down, the military has a tremendous amount of surplus,” said Pete Kraska, a criminology professor at Eastern Kentucky University

Last edited:

Hostage situation, sniper, suspected bomb.

Woman trapped by Charles Whitman the Texas Tower sniper.
Darehshori_1966_University_of_Texas.jg
Three men went up that tower and took him out.

How would an MRAP have helped in that situation?

Is there an MRAP Helicopter I don't know about?

See that woman cowering behind the light pole? An armored vehicle can be used to drive up and evacuate her

So the type of weapon a police force has determines whether or not it is a police state? I don't understand how a gun rights activist would prevent authorities from having the weapons of their choice. Also, if you believe in state's rights...why wouldn't you wan't a prepared and able police force?

That's the point. Why are liberals trying so hard to disarm us but trying to militarize the police at the same time? In the UK there are no gun rights and the police don't usually carry them which makes sense. Citizens can't have guns so cops have less guns. Here in America they want us to have no guns and the cops to have bigger guns. It's crazy

•Pinky•

That's the point. Why are liberals trying so hard to disarm us but trying to militarize the police at the same time? In the UK there are no gun rights and the police don't usually carry them which makes sense. Citizens can't have guns so cops have less guns. Here in America they want us to have no guns and the cops to have bigger guns. It's crazy

•Pinky•

I can agree...but the thing is, Americans DO have guns and the 2nd Amendment still exists. To me, it isn't the liberals wanting to take guns away to build a police state...I believe it is the police force adjusting to a changing, more dangerous world.
I am pro-2nd Amendment, the liberals will NEVER take our guns away.

•Pinky•

An MRAP is not a gun

Are you complaining because you can't kill a cop if you want to?

Forum List

Back