A question of right or wrong

I

Indofred

Florida police chief has no issue with dad who says he beat up son's sex attacker | Reuters

A Florida police chief has caused a media stir by saying he is looking the other way after a father severely beat a man he caught sexually assaulting his 11-year-old son.

The father called Daytona Beach police on Friday to report he had interrupted his son being assaulted, and could be heard telling a dispatcher he left the attacker "nice and knocked out" and "in a puddle of blood" on the floor.

Personally, I'd say the man was wrong to beat the attacker to a bloody pulp, but I find it really hard to say much against him and, if I was he police chief, I would try to ignore it as well.

Opinion?

He caught the guy in the act....he acted to defend his child, and didn't kill the loser. I think it would be a waste of resources to prosecute.

Florida police chief has no issue with dad who says he beat up son's sex attacker | Reuters

A Florida police chief has caused a media stir by saying he is looking the other way after a father severely beat a man he caught sexually assaulting his 11-year-old son.

The father called Daytona Beach police on Friday to report he had interrupted his son being assaulted, and could be heard telling a dispatcher he left the attacker "nice and knocked out" and "in a puddle of blood" on the floor.

Personally, I'd say the man was wrong to beat the attacker to a bloody pulp, but I find it really hard to say much against him and, if I was he police chief, I would try to ignore it as well.

Opinion?

So fair it's not even funny. The guys lucky he's not dead.

•Pinky•

I mean really, what was the dad to do? Let the guy keep raping his son while he steps out to call 911? That's his child. He's supposed to do everything in his power to protect his kid come hell or high water PERIOD. Anyone with kids can understand that.

•Pinky•

Opinion?

Father would have been justified shooting the attacker to death, both in public opinion and in law (especially in Florida.)

Florida Police Chief has no issue and I certainly have no issue either.

All dads should be like that dad!

Opinion?

Father would have been justified shooting the attacker to death, both in public opinion and in law (especially in Florida.)

Exactly. Just moved from there in April.

•Pinky•

I agree with Koshergirl. The guy didn't go looking for the punk, he caught him in the act. It was self-defense.

Self defence would suggest there was a threat to the man, but he surely defended his child.
However, defence stopped when the man was no further threat, unless you consider the serious beating to be a warning, telling the sex attack never to return, maybe even telling the bastard never to try it against any other kids.
Personally, I'm happy to leave the father alone, on the grounds the beating should put the pervert off attacking other children.

Opinion?

I'm not at all in favour of public gun ownership, but I would have no objection to the father shooting this man in defence of his child.
Frankly, the world doesn't need people like that.

I agree with Koshergirl. The guy didn't go looking for the punk, he caught him in the act. It was self-defense.

Self defence would suggest there was a threat to the man, but he surely defended his child.

However, defence stopped when the man was no further threat, unless you consider the serious beating to be a warning, telling the sex attack never to return, maybe even telling the bastard never to try it against any other kids.

Personally, I'm happy to leave the father alone, on the grounds the beating should put the pervert off attacking other children.

Children are an extension of their parents. Seeing as how he is his father and he has either custody or guardianship whether or not it's legal the public would consider that self defense. The system is flawed. Pedophiles get off way to easy along with child murderers and cult members who kidnap and torture children. No child should ever have to go thru something like that. In my opinion when it comes to children the punishment should be an eye for eye, a tooth for a tooth. I'm sick of people getting to live in prison eating three square meals a day sucking up all our tax money. Beat the hell out of em, torture em, and kill em so they are no longer a burden on society. People who hurt, kill, and rape children can't be "cured". Anyone willing to do something that sick to a child will do it again given the opportunity.

•Pinky•

The father did what fathers are supposed to do. Put the safety and well being of his child above all else. Any good father would not hesitate to go to jail in order to protect his children.

Opinion?

There's too little information to comment on the specific issue.

In general, however, Florida self-defense law concerns more than just the use of firearms and deadly force. The 'castle doctrine' would apply if the incident occurred in the home or anywhere the victim is expected to be or has a right to be.

And how exactly is that point determined?

It can be argued that to indeed neutralize the attacker where he no longer poses a threat, rendering him unconscious is the appropriate course to take.

It can be argued that to indeed neutralize the attacker where he no longer poses a threat, rendering him unconscious is the appropriate course to take.

One assumes, the point is where the offender no longer poses a reasonable threat to anyone.
If the father was able to leave this bastard in a pool of blood, with that much damage to his face, it's very unlike the evil rapist was any threat after the first punch or two.

However, as the father of a little girl, and a boy on the way, I'd probably see red and beat the bastard to death - so I can't blame this dad for his efforts.

frolander19n-1-web.jpg

The father did quite a number, but I'd have been stamping on his balls until they were flats.
My temper hasn't gone out for a walk in years, but seeing a man raping my child would very probably do the trick.

Opinion?

What's the stir?

he whipped a rapist in the act. There's no crime at all

Thankfully, we have no shortage of USMB members who can't separate their feelings about what is right from the unemotional legal issues at play.

Yes, my grandstanding friends, I would also beat the perp to a pulp. Yes...I would do everything in my power to protect my child......or your child, for that matter. Nobody is suggesting that this man is morally wrong for doing what he did. The comments that follow do not change that in any way.

What the dad did may not have been legal. He could be prosecuted. Did the dad throw one more punch than was necessary to protect his child? Would the creep have run away had the dad not beaten his ass?

Discussing the law, as the OP has done, does not amount to supporting the crime.

In this case the point would be even more difficult to determine, since it is not about stopping him from attacking at that particular time, but about removing the future threat to his child.

But wouldn't the father have been able to use some sort of temporary insanity or "heat of passion" defense?

One assumes, the point is where the offender no longer poses a reasonable threat to anyone.
If the father was able to leave this bastard in a pool of blood, with that much damage to his face, it's very unlike the evil rapist was any threat after the first punch or two.

However, as the father of a little girl, and a boy on the way, I'd probably see red and beat the bastard to death - so I can't blame this dad for his efforts.

And again, what constitutes that point?

A specified number of blows received?

A particular number of injuries sustained?

Unable to stand?

Unable to kneel?

Unable to sit?

Unless there's evidence excessive force was used past the point the threat no longer existed, there are no grounds to charge the father, whether in the context of a sexual assault or not.

Forum List

Back