Maybe there is hope....How Gen Z Is Becoming the Toolbelt Generation

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

More young workers are going into trades as disenchantment with the college track continues, and rising pay and new technologies shine up plumbing and electrical jobs​

America needs more plumbers, and Gen Z is answering the call.

Long beset by a labor crunch, the skilled trades are newly appealing to the youngest cohort of American workers, many of whom are choosing to leave the college path. Rising pay and new technologies in fields from welding to machine tooling are giving trade professions a face-lift, helping them shed the image of being dirty, low-end work. Growing skepticism about the return on a college education, the cost of which has soared in recent decades, is adding to their shine.

Enrollment in vocational training programs is surging as overall enrollment in community colleges and four-year institutions has fallen. The number of students enrolled in vocational-focused community colleges rose 16% last year to its highest level since the National Student Clearinghouse began tracking such data in 2018. The ranks of students studying construction trades rose 23% during that time, while those in programs covering HVAC and vehicle maintenance and repair increased 7%.

“It’s a really smart route for kids who want to find something and aren’t gung ho on going to college,” says Tanner Burgess, 20, who graduated from a nine-month welding program last fall.

Another benefit is that such workers are, on the whole, more conservative.

I mean why wouldn’t they? Seems like a no brainer to me.

No college loans other than maybe a trade school, these jobs aren’t going to be outsourced to another country, AI isn't going to be a plumber anytime soon.

Company trucks/fuel for lots of trades/positions and six figure incomes are easy to get to very quickly if you are willing to learn and put in the work.

These guys will be the ones buying land and building/buying homes like their grandparents did.

Bonus points for damn near zero diversity/ equality/ homo bullshit to deal with.

hubby worked construction..he use to laugh about the unskilled laborers who worked for a few months then show up with a toolbelt and basic tools and declared themselves now a carpenter's helper...he would assign them to a carpenter and see how it went

More young workers are going into trades as disenchantment with the college track continues, and rising pay and new technologies shine up plumbing and electrical jobs​

America needs more plumbers, and Gen Z is answering the call.

Long beset by a labor crunch, the skilled trades are newly appealing to the youngest cohort of American workers, many of whom are choosing to leave the college path. Rising pay and new technologies in fields from welding to machine tooling are giving trade professions a face-lift, helping them shed the image of being dirty, low-end work. Growing skepticism about the return on a college education, the cost of which has soared in recent decades, is adding to their shine.

Enrollment in vocational training programs is surging as overall enrollment in community colleges and four-year institutions has fallen. The number of students enrolled in vocational-focused community colleges rose 16% last year to its highest level since the National Student Clearinghouse began tracking such data in 2018. The ranks of students studying construction trades rose 23% during that time, while those in programs covering HVAC and vehicle maintenance and repair increased 7%.

“It’s a really smart route for kids who want to find something and aren’t gung ho on going to college,” says Tanner Burgess, 20, who graduated from a nine-month welding program last fall.

Another benefit is that such workers are, on the whole, more conservative.

I mean why wouldn’t they? Seems like a no brainer to me.

No college loans other than maybe a trade school, these jobs aren’t going to be outsourced to another country, AI isn't going to be a plumber anytime soon.

Company trucks/fuel for lots of trades/positions and six figure incomes are easy to get to very quickly if you are willing to learn and put in the work.

These guys will be the ones buying land and building/buying homes like their grandparents did.

Bonus points for damn near zero diversity/ equality/ homo bullshit to deal with.
In the UK, you can't get tradesmen, I've doubled my charge out cost and I'm still snowed under.

If your car has an EU badge, or if you are foreign, I double the quote, sometimes a bit more. My mates in the trade do the same. Plus, I don't do work for Indians and Pakistani's.

Forum List

Back