Matt Lewis in The Daily Beast: I’m a Conservative, and I Don’t Know What the GOP Stands For

It's an interesting thing, really. Starting with the Never-Trump Republicans of 2016, saying that they simply cannot support the flawed individual at the top of the ticket, there has been a steady barrage of people claiming to have been faithful Republicans and/or Conservatives, saying that the era of Trump has shifted them over to the Other Side.

Bullshit.

Trump is a flawed individual for sure, but NO ONE who witnessed everything that he accomplished, and tried to accomplish, as President doubts his Conservative bona fides, and there is simply no justification for supporting today's American Left. You can be lukewarm in supporting Trump, or the Republican Party as it exists today, but to shift to the Other Side....well, it's bullshit. It's a lie.

As for "fiscal Conservatism," as George Will - a never-Trumper - has pointed out for decades, America is a country that wants low, low taxes to fund a minimalist Federal government, but at the same time they want a cornucopia of free stuff, paid for by...that same Federal government. Hence, even faithful Republicans who believe in fiscal conservatism must go along with most of the give-aways, or risk being thrown out of office for fighting what a lot of people want.

There is no question what Republicans and Conservatives support. It hasn't changed in many decades. Rational spending and taxes, real borders coupled with a rational immigration policy, a Congress that adheres to the powers set forth in Article I, strong defense, sane regulation, and so on. And Trump promotes all of it.

Anyone claiming to have shifted to the Democrats over Trump's foibles is a liar.

It's an interesting thing, really. Starting with the Never-Trump Republicans of 2016, saying that they simply cannot support the flawed individual at the top of the ticket
Flawed? That's the understatement of the week. Regarding his conservative bona fides, if he thought he could get elected holding the exact opposite views those are the views he would hold. His agenda is to claim personal success, the politics are just a means to that end.

The Social Liberalism of the RINO establishment wing of the GOP makes them think Far Left & Left will go easy on them

I'll stack Trump's personal flaws against Biden's any day. Trump is not a thief, he is not corrupt, and ,no, he doesn't LIE, like Biden does. Biden's lies are substantive, intentional, and insidious. Few of Trump's lies were even lies.

Forum List

Back